Chorus ii upgrade suggestions.

nashvilletitans

It was this message

On 12/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, Dave A said:

The DE-10 is the one to use on the Chorus and it requires no modifications or "toning" down to sound really good. Although with four different hole patterns to mount to on the LMAHL if you want to tinker with different drivers you can do so.

12 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Me no, but Dave A yes, he compared B&C and Faital, a priori he prefers B&C DE10 for Chorus II

Okay..does he prefer B&C DE10 for Chorus II because there is no need of l-pad attenuation on its crossover?

Edited by Alex Defender

4 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

Okay..does he prefer B&C DE10 for Chorus II because there is no need of l-pad attenuation on its crossover?

No he prefers it because when Claude tested the various drivers the DE-10 had the best curve and also sounded to us better in person and this is without attenuation. One of the Faital's was I believe an HF-104 and I don't remember what the other was. Testing can get expensive so what we observed combined with popular opinion pretty much made the DE-120's and DE-10's the drivers of choice for the MAHL's. There are new drivers out there but the efficiency is getting so high on these they are going to start requiring L-Pads to balance them to the rest of the speaker. Some of them are like 110db efficient now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and apologize for how long it took me return. Holidays, work etc had gotten hectic.

These speakers sounds great to me, I replaced the crossovers with the Crites set as I mentioned earlier as a precaution. Was mainly asking if their was some other replacement parts that they would or could benefit from.  I figure it was just logical to replaced 30 year old crossovers and caps. Thanks 

On 12/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, PrestonTom said:

Are there any particular complaints you have about the way they currently sound?

No, they sound great to me but I've had them for several years and do know that sometimes living with the same speakers and listening to them daily-weekly sometimes subtle changes in performance can go unnoticed. And if the same old thing is good enough and upgraded occasionally aren't warranted there really wouldn't be any reason for Klipsch to have more than one version of Heresy,Cornwall etc.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, geoff. said:

Hello @nashvilletitans,

I currently have my Chorus 2s in rotation in my livingroom. 

And I am loving them, again!

The Chorus 2 is one of the most balanced Klipsch speakers I have ever listened to.

The only mod (fully reversible, if I was so inadvisably inclined) so far are Ti tweeter diaphragms.

The K-48 is a tight, articulate and powerful woofer that digs deep in the Chorus 2 cabinet, now the highs shine too.

I have DE-120s in my LSI Splits and have no doubt they would sound even better on the LMAHL lens in the Chorus, or anything else for that matter, but I would expect it to need some attenuation in that application. They are more efficient than the stock tweeter the crossover was designed for. Maybe not if you like treble, I rarely listen flat...

Bang for the buck, I would be very surprised if you don’t like the Ti diaphragms. 

I have never even considered going back on anything I’ve put them in.

And congratulations on the 300b, too!

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond! I actually just got the ti diaphragms in and we'll be installing them in the next day or so. Thanks again and sorry for my late reply.

15 minutes ago, nashvilletitans said:

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond! I actually just got the ti diaphragms in and we'll be installing them in the next day or so. Thanks again and sorry for my late reply.

would love to hear your comments on these new diaphragms , did you purchase  these For Crites speakers

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:13 PM, moray james said:

Welcome to the forum. The mid driver in the Chorus is very hard to beat there are some better ones but you are not going to blow the stock one away and you will have to shell out considerable cash to do so. The tweeter can be improved upon again more cash. You can modify both the tweeter and the mid and obtain much improvement for a reasonable amount of cash, you will need some dynamat and some 1/8" F-11 Acoustical Felt to do so. I suggest you start with fresh caps for your speakers burn them in and go from there. Both horns used in the Chorus ll are very good within their ranges. The mid horn is very solid and does not need any damping the tweeter horn improves with a layer of dynamat The passive can be re tuned a little lower for a nice improvement in bass extension you only need add about 1.5 ounces of dead weight to the unit in the form of large steel flat washers, while the number of hertz it gains you is but a band full you will be pleased with the improvement. Hope this helps.

PS: I have included some interesting info on tweeter/mis allignment. see below.

Klipsch Chorus tweeter and mid alignment measurements.htm 9.52 kB · 9 downloads

Thanks for your help and time!