Forte I vs Chorus II

Alex Defender

Hello, I have the chance to get Forte I and Chorus II, both in very good condition with a price difference of 500€. Unfortunately, I can't listen to them in person, so I'll buy one without auditioning first.

I've been looking opinions on the forums for days but I can't really understand the sound differences beetwen the two in tonal balance and in low frequencies (depth, punch, body..)

The only thing I know is that Forte I has 12-inch woofer and 12-inch passive, while Chorus II has 15-inch woofer,15-inch passive and larger cabinet, but for reasons unknown to me, Klipsch claimed 32-20 Hz ±3dB for Forte I and 39-20 Hz ±3dB for Chorus II.

My amp is a Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B SET 8W.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks

Edited by Alex Defender
  • Like 1

Alex,

Like I stated in my reply in the message, I don't have the Chorus II's but I have compared my Forte 1's to Cornwall II's.  The Forte's go deeper in frequency and have a much smaller footprint.  I am very pleased with my Forte's and have no reason to replace them (other then for a pair of Klipschorn's).  Klipsch speakers pair very well with tube amps.

I also don't have experience with your SET amp but I have read that others have had great experience with SET amps and Klipsch.

• Like 1

That's a big price difference but the Chorus is much more musical and the definition of the bass much more precise than the Forte. I have had a few Forte 1's and 2's and numerous Chorus 1's and 2's for a reason. Fortes are OK but the Chorus speakers move me when I listen to them. Somewhat muddy bass that goes lower is not exciting to me and I would rather have the fidelity of the Chorus.

• Like 3

ive owned/own forte & forte2 as well as 4 pairs of chorus2 & i agree on the chorus2 being the better speaker... however the forte is no slouch & is usually regarded as the most "balanced" speaker klipsch made of that era.  the bass is not muddy at all & unless you plan to listen at rock concert levels that needs the higher power of the chorus, the forte is an excellent speaker all around.  

& for the price difference, im not sure the chorus2 is $600 better than the fortes.  all depends on your budget & their condition/veneer finish... cant go wrong with either one.   

• Like 1

I have attached both specs for the Forte 1 and Chorus 2.  

Although the Forte is not rated for peak power, I can confirm that they can handle rock concert levels as I drive mine with my Pioneer SX-1980 (270wpc).

The Chorus are 3dB more effecient so they will play louder than the Forte but the Forte will dig deeper.

Regardless which speaker you choose, I suggest replacing the crossover caps (if they are original) as a minimum, or upgrade the crossover as the factory crossover caps are in need of replacement due to their age.

Chorus-II-brochure.pdf forte-brochure.pdf

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, Alex Defender said:

Hello, I have the chance to get Forte I and Chorus II, both in very good condition with a price difference of 600€. Unfortunately, I can't listen to them in person, so I'll buy one without auditioning first.

for a 500 Euros difference ,which a  614 USD$  difference ,   I would buy the Forte 1 -

-

-however if you can lower the price difference between the Forte  1 and the Chorus II  to say 300 EUROS , I would opt for the Chorus Ii -

On 12/24/2020 at 8:18 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Uh, how big is your room?

Chorous II has the nicer midrange horn and more bass, but are these in a small bedroom or a living room?  The Fortes might be better in a small bedroom. 

My room is about 20sqm

Edited by Alex Defender

On 12/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

ive owned/own forte & forte2 as well as 4 pairs of chorus2 & i agree on the chorus2 being the better speaker... however the forte is no slouch & is usually regarded as the most "balanced" speaker klipsch made of that era.  the bass is not muddy at all & unless you plan to listen at rock concert levels that needs the higher power of the chorus, the forte is an excellent speaker all around.  

& for the price difference, im not sure the chorus2 is $600 better than the fortes.  all depends on your budget & their condition/veneer finish... cant go wrong with either one.   

What differences did you find in tonal balance and bass response between your forte 1 and chorus 2? Now the the price is 700€ for forte 1 and 1200€ for chorus 2, very similar conditions.

56 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

My room is about 24sqm

due to the size of the room ,  I would have opted for 4 speakers  for good sound ,  the Forte 1 would be overwhelmed in such a room unless the speakers would  be 4-5 feet away  ,   the Chorus 2 is the sole option here   , skip the Forte 1 -