Forte I vs Chorus II

Alex Defender

1 hour ago, Alex Defender said:

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Aside the low frequencies response, what differences do you remember in tonal balance when you made the comparsion?

Which of the two sound somewhat brighter, harsher or less balanced than the other? 

I don't have an audiophile ear. I'm just a seat of the pants hi-fi enthusiast. I could be just as happy if I kept my Forte's. I did not notice any big differences in mids, highs, or tonal balance. Like I said, the Chorus' sounded very similiar to the Forte, just fuller. And depending on the source music and amp, the C's can dish out the bottom end with plenty of authority. I believe the F1's go down to 32hz, the C2's down to 34. Correct me if I am wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Non ho un orecchio audiofilo. Sono solo un appassionato di hi-fi. Potrei essere altrettanto felice se conservassi il mio Forte. Non ho notato grandi differenze nei medi, negli alti o nel bilanciamento tonale. Come ho detto, il ritornello suonava molto simile al Forte, solo più pieno. E a seconda della musica sorgente e dell'amplificatore, le C possono distribuire l'estremità inferiore con molta autorità. Credo che la F1 scenda a 32 Hz, la C2 a 34. Correggimi se sbaglio. 

Klipsch wrote 39hz for the Chorus 2 but maybe it's really not so.. idk

2 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

Klipsch wrote 39hz for the Chorus 2 but maybe it's really not so.. idk

That explains it.  But still don't understand how a smaller speaker box gets down lower. Even the Forte II or III don't get down to 32hz. The Forte 1's ...always will be awesome to me. I bought my pair new in 1988. PWKlipschaholic!

22 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

That's interesting. What is your fine tuning about on the Chorus 1's?

First thing I do is recap the crossovers with poly caps. That includes the woofer where I use  68uf Audyn poly cap and not the electrolytic many use. $19 from Parts Express for that. Every Chorus set  I have had,  probably just north of 15 now, has shown decent to serious improvement doing this. The next is to put in an LMAHL V2 and you can look those up here on the forum to see what they do.

Then you make sure all electrical connections are good and tight and all drivers snugged down. Sometimes I find the banana plugs can be sloppy so I use crimp fork end connectors for input. These things also apply to the Chorus II

Now why I prefer the Chorus I is the front port and no passive. Chorus II and Fortes have passives and require a wall or corner close by to work right. The Chorus I works right anywhere and I find that is one of the same design considerations with the pro klipsch speakers I like so much. Front porting.

Nickyboy gave good advice on listening to both types before buying. Advice I would urge you to follow, if you can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

That explains it.  But still don't understand how a smaller speaker box gets down lower. Even the Forte II or III don't get down to 32hz. The Forte 1's ...always will be awesome to me. I bought my pair new in 1988. PWKlipschaholic!

forte 2 go to the same 32hz as the forte... 

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/forte-II-brochure.pdf?mtime=20160322111247&focal=none

• Like 1