Forte I vs Chorus II

Alex Defender

6 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

due to the size of the room ,  I would have opted for 4 speakers  for good sound ,  the Forte 1 would be overwhelmed in such a room unless the speakers would  be 4-5 feet away  ,   the Chorus 2 is the sole option here   , skip the Forte 1 -

I mistake, It's exactly 20sqm.

Edited by Alex Defender

15 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

Sorry, It's exactly 20sqm.

The Forte 1 would require you to be very close to the speakers  3-4 feet -  while the Chorus 2 would allow you to be 6 feet away ,  in 20sqm ,  I use at least 2 pairs of speakers ,  in this case , go for the Chorus 2 , it's not a huge speaker either , but the mids  horn is bigger ,  and the bass will fill the room better,  a Forte 1 would sound thinner -

50 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

The Forte 1 would require you to be very close to the speakers  3-4 feet -  while the Chorus 2 would be  6 feet away   ,  in 20sqm ,  I use at least 2 pairs of speakers ,  in this case , go for the Chorus 2 , it's not a huge speaker either , but the horn is wider , and the bass will fill the room better than a Forte 1 , as it would sound thinner -

Thank you, instead do you have any idea about differences in tonal balance beetwen the two?
For example, I can see in the Chrous 2's frequency response curve that it progressively rises in treble while in Forte 1 it stays flatter.

What does this mean? That Chorus 2 will tend to sound more open and wider, but brighter and more unbalanced towards the mid-high frequencies than the Forte1?

@moray james

Chorus II.PNG

Forte I.PNG

Edited by Alex Defender

On 12/26/2020 at 8:49 AM, Alex Defender said:

What differences did you find in tonal balance and bass response between your forte 1 and chorus 2? Now the the price is 700€ for forte 1 and 1200€ for chorus 2, very similar conditions.

generally speaking, the fortes go lower in the bass freq & at "normal" volumes that will mean the bass will be deeper & sound a little fuller, 32hz forte vs 39hz chorus is not much but is noticeable. the forte is also more balanced in the mids & highs meaning they dont have an overly pronounced mid range & everything sounds more even... at least to me in my room with my equipment.  thats not to say the chorus are harsh in the mids or totally unbalanced, just that they have a stronger sounding mid range as others have mentioned, & at higher volumes with more power they do produce a stronger upper bass "punch" from the 15" pro series woofer, but the low bass falls off a litte faster with the 7hz difference which is not very noticeable to most people in most scenarios.  

& you do NOT need to be 3-4 feet away from fortes in your room!  they will sound great at the more average distance of 8-10ft away if they are positioned properly, usually in a corner about a foot or so away from the back wall towed in a bit & ~6-8ft apart.  i dont know of too many people that sit 3-4 feet away from their large speakers unless they are in a very small room & have no choice.

it would be better to post the basic dimensions of the room since total volume can be affected by ceiling height that wont change the near field sound of the speakers too much, granted if youre sitting all the way on the other end of the room that will matter, but for most people they dont sit that far away.  i have my chorus in a ~21x13ft basement room with 7.5ft ceilings & i sit about 10 ft away from them & they sound excellent & i have had the fortes down there too with good results. but the fortes are now upstairs in a 16x14ft living room with 8ft ceilings that is open to a kitchen on one side & i sit about 10ft away & they also sound great. fortes are on a 100watt/ch surround receiver & chorus are on a 200watt/ch separate amp, fortes were on the same amp when in the basement.  

thats just my results with these speakers, everyone hears different & has different equipment, rooms & goals, so what one person likes will be different than the next. all depends on your budget & goals for the speakers, fortes can go loud but chorus can go louder, both will sound excellent with any average room/system.  most consider the fortes the best bang for the buck speaker klipsch offers,  if you want more you gotta pay more.             

1 hour ago, Alex Defender said:

Thank you, instead do you have any idea about differences in tonal balance

unfortunately not , you will have to sample the audio of both speakers  as to how they sound to your ears , nobody else can do that for you , and I would advise you not to buy  unseen , any of these 2 speakers unless you audition them 1st , and prior to saying that the Forte or the Chorus  are the right speakers for you -

On 12/24/2020 at 6:14 AM, Dave A said:

That's a big price difference but the Chorus is much more musical and the definition of the bass much more precise than the Forte. I have had a few Forte 1's and 2's and numerous Chorus 1's and 2's for a reason. Fortes are OK but the Chorus speakers move me when I listen to them. Somewhat muddy bass that goes lower is not exciting to me and I would rather have the fidelity of the Chorus.

You know, Dave..............it cracks me up to see these guys worry about a LOUSY $600 when, in fact, you are buying a lifetime of musical enjoyment............or at least, let's day, a full decade. When I go to a high end HiFi show and see $15,000 bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and 1" tweeter with a pretty veneer, I KNOW that either choice presented here would stomp those into the ground for anyone with a dime's worth of common sense about Sound INVESTMENTS, which is really what this is about. Bigger is usually better, so it there's room, the choice should be clear.

I had the Chorus II in my office, large photo studio,  as well as in surround channels at home. Forget the curves. The bigger one sounds better by design, PERIOD. That said, I now have a Forte in my R and L surround channels, strictly to save space, not money, since the surrounds are not as critical as my $15,000 matching Three front channel horn with 21 drivers and huge subs that double as R and L Main "speaker stands" that shake the room when called upon to do so.

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

it cracks me up to see these guys worry about a LOUSY $600 when, in fact, you are buying a lifetime of musical enjoyment...

I have the impression that the OP has never bought a pair of speakers -

54 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

generally speaking, the fortes go lower in the bass freq & at "normal" volumes that will mean the bass will be deper & sound a little fuller, 32hz forte vs 39hz chorus is not much but is noticeable. the forte is also more balanced in the mids & highs meaning they dont have an overly pronounced mid range & everything sounds more even... at least to me in my room with my equipment.  thats not to say the chorus are harsh in the mids or totally unbalanced, just that they have a stronger sounding mid range as others have mentioned, & at higher volumes with more power they do produce a stronger upper bass "punch" from the 15" pro series woofer, but the low bass falls off a litter faster with the 7hz difference which is not very noticeable to most people in most scenarios.  

& you do NOT need to be 4-5 feet away from fortes in your room... they will sound great at the more average distance of 8-10ft away if they are positioned properly, usually in a corner about a foot or so away from the back wall towed in a bit & ~6-8ft apart.  i dont know of too many people that sit 4 feet away from their large speakers unless they are in a very small room & have no choice.

it would be better to post the basic dimensions of the room since total volume can be affected by ceiling height that wont change the near field sound of the speakers too much, granted if youre sitting all the way on the other end of the room that will matter, but for most people they dont sit that far away.  i have my chorus in a ~21x13ft basement room with 7.5ft ceilings & i sit about 10 ft away from them & they sound excellent & i have had the fortes down there too with good results. but the fortes are now upstairs in a 16x14ft living room with 8ft ceilings that is open to a kitchen on one side & i sit about 10ft away & they also sound great. fortes are on a 100watt/ch surround receiver & chorus are on a 200watt/ch separate amp, fortes were on the same amp when in the basement.  

thats just my results with these speakers, everyone hears different & has different equipment, rooms & goals, so what one person likes will be different than the next. all depends on your budget & goals for the speakers, fortes can go loud but chorus can go louder, both will sound excellent with any average room/system.  most consider the fortes the best bang for the buck speaker klipsch offers,  if you want more you gotta pay more.             

I agree with this explanation. I’ve had a pair of Forte 2 and 3’s they both sounded very good. I still would pay the extra money for the Chorus. I don’t really miss either of the Forte’s, but wish I never sold the Chorus. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex Defender said:

Thank you, instead do you have any idea about differences in tonal balance beetwen the two?
For example, I can see in the Chrous 2's frequency response curve that it progressively rises in treble while in Forte 1 it stays flatter.

What does this mean? That Chorus 2 will tend to sound more open and wider, but brighter and more unbalanced towards the mid-high frequencies than the Forte1?

@moray james

Chorus II.PNG

Forte I.PNG

small toe in or out adjustments will deal with top end level one way or the other so that is not an issue. The Chorus uses the exact same drivers and horns but the Chorus ll runs the mid horn lower and this results is it holding its polar pattern to a lower frequency. aside from low end extension the Chorus ll is a better loudspeaker than the Forte ll in my opinion it is more efficient more exciting and more fun to listen to. You are going to have to listen to a pair if you want to know for yourself.

PS: you can adjust the tuning of the passive on a Chorus ll to lower it a number of Hz by adding 2.5 oz. of dead weight in the form of some large steel flat washers. You are looking at 3 - 4 Hz does not sound like much but it is a big deal to hear.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, moray james said:

small toe in or out adjustments will deal with top end level one way or the other so that is not an issue. The Chorus uses the exact same drivers and horns but the Chorus ll runs the mid horn lower and this results is it holding its polar pattern to a lower frequency. aside from low end extension the Chorus ll is a better loudspeaker than the Forte ll in my opinion it is more efficient more exciting and more fun to listen to. You are going to have to listen to a pair if you want to know for yourself.

PS: you can adjust the tuning of the passive on a Chorus ll to lower it a number of Hz by adding 2.5 oz. of dead weight in the form of some large steel flat washers. You are looking at 3 - 4 Hz does not sound like much but it is a big deal to hear.

The Forte 1 has a totally different mid horn and passive radiator, along with a different network. The Forte II, whose curve is NOT shown, has the same midrange horn as the Chorus II. Add weights at your own risk.

• Like 2

I have owned both.  I may be the only person in the world that feels this way but after I sold the Chorus IIs, I put the Forte's in their place expecting lesser sound.  That didn't happen!  I think I liked the overall sound signature of the Fortes better but in very large room I may have preferred the Chorus IIs.  Both were driven with a Nakamichi CA-5 and PA-5 combo.  Cornwalls on the other hand are better than both of them (my opinion of course).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I have the impression that the OP has never bought a pair of speakers -

I come from Dynaudio, I own both Contour 2's and the latest Evoke 50's, I used to drive them with Roksan amps, they sound pleasant but I am reselling them, I also have another amp, Musical Fidelity A120, it belonged to my grandfather, it has sentimental value to me.
But I think high efficiency along with low power are on another level of listening in terms of details.

Edited by Alex Defender
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

I come from Dynaudio, I own both Contour 2's and the latest Evoke 50's, I used to drive them with Roksan amps, they sound pleasant but I am reselling them, I also have another amp, Musical Fidelity A120, it belonged to my grandfather, it has sentimental value to me.
But I think high efficiency along with low power are on another level of listening.

Based on your current speakers  ,  the klipsch RF7  series --is pretty close

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Based on your current speakers  ,  the klipsch RF7  series --is pretty close

I don't know the RF7 series but there is an audio comparsion on yt beetwen RF7 II and Forte III. https://youtu.be/VCyZJAGSp14?t=58

Forte III sounds clearly better, deeper, fuller and less HT.

Edited by Alex Defender