Forte I vs Chorus II

Alex Defender

On 12/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, RandyH000 said:

The Forte 1 would require you to be very close to the speakers  3-4 feet -  while the Chorus 2 would allow you to be 6 feet away ,  in 20sqm ,  I use at least 2 pairs of speakers ,  in this case , go for the Chorus 2 , it's not a huge speaker either , but the mids  horn is bigger ,  and the bass will fill the room better,  a Forte 1 would sound thinner -

Just curious to know what your current system is since you have nothing listed. Why don't you finish your profile and show us your current system? To be honest there is just no way I would sit that close to those speakers.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, wetowne said:

On 12/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, billybob said:

Hai bisogno di leggere la recensione del forte del 1985. È qui intorno.

Quando li ottieni, ascolta per un po 'in modo che quando aggiorni i condensatori, saprai la differenza e quale hai preferito.

Complimenti per il forte 'e buon divertimento!

Yeah, I know that review well, it's the only one you can find online about the Forte 1, there is another review always by Stereo Review but about the Chorus 1.

I can't find anyone online who has ever made a direct comparison between Forte 1 and Chorus 2. That's why I started this thread.

Edited by Alex Defender
  • Like 1

Alex, I have had both the Forte 1 and Forte 2, as well as Chorus 1 and Chorus 2.  I would easily choose the Chorus 2 over the Forte 1, no question.  Both are somewhat sensitive to room placement.  The Chorus 2 sounds great with higher powered solid state, and at higher volumes.  Just my basic take.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex Defender said:

Yeah, I know that review well, it's the only one you can find online about the Forte 1, there is another review always by Stereo Review but about the Chorus 1.

I can't find anyone online who has ever made a direct comparison between Forte 1 and Chorus 2. That's why I started this thread.

Well, fair enough but, there are reams of info on this forum archive. I tend to believe members here without giving a speaker a listen, and have not been disappointed yet.

Do a search on this forum on the Chorus2...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Alex, I have had both the Forte 1 and Forte 2, as well as Chorus 1 and Chorus 2.  I would easily choose the Chorus 2 over the Forte 1, no question.  Both are somewhat sensitive to room placement.  The Chorus 2 sounds great with higher powered solid state, and at higher volumes.  Just my basic take.

Do you remember about tonal balance differences beetwen your ex Chorus 2 and Forte 1? Which of the two sound somewhat brighter, harsher or less balanced than the other?  What about their differences in bass response (depth, punch, resolution)? 

Thanks Jim

My opinion, which of course will differ from others based on sources, amplification, rooms, etc.  I did power both with the same analog and digital sources, as well as solid state and tube amplifiers/preamplifiers.  I believe that the Forte 1 performed a bit better overall at lower volumes regarding tonal balance, but the Chorus 2 excelled when run a bit higher.  I don't think either was harsh or bright.  The Chorus 2 far outperformed the Forte 1 when it came to bass response in all aspects.  I hope this helps, if even just a little.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Of course he does.

BTW Dave, I'm still digging the Chorus 1s with your MAHL tweeters and the recap.  Sound great with the H4s.

Chorus I is my all time favorite. It is fun to see peoples faces when the tune up happens.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 10:05 PM, JMON said:

I have owned both.  I may be the only person in the world that feels this way but after I sold the Chorus IIs, I put the Forte's in their place expecting lesser sound.  That didn't happen!  I think I liked the overall sound signature of the Fortes better but in very large room I may have preferred the Chorus IIs.  Both were driven with a Nakamichi CA-5 and PA-5 combo.  Cornwalls on the other hand are better than both of them (my opinion of course).

Do you remember about tonal balance differences beetwen your ex Chorus 2 and Forte 1? Which of the two sound somewhat brighter, harsher or less balanced than the other?  What about their differences in bass response (depth, punch, resolution)? 

Thanks JMON

On 12/27/2020 at 4:02 AM, nickyboy6100 said:

Most of what has been stated in the previous posts is very accurate regarding the two models. Tonal difference between the two is a very subjective matter. You really need to hear both to make a judgement for yourself. In my opinion, Klipsch speakers in general are more pronounced in the mid/high frequencies. That’s why most here are attracted to them. Not that they are void of low end, but more accurate. My experience with the Forte is that it plays well and sounds good at low to high volume with a slight change in presence compared to the Chorus 2. If you call that balance, than that’s what you get with the Forte. The Chorus 2’s play well and sounds good at low volumes, but don’t really come alive until you put some watts to them. That’s when they really distinguish themselves as the better speaker. This is just my opinion. I owned my Chorus 2 for many years and really enjoyed them. 

So do you think that Forte I sounds overall better at low volumes than Chorus II? What about their differences in low frequencies response? Thanks nick.

Edited by Alex Defender

On 12/27/2020 at 8:23 PM, Fido said:

Back in 1986 when my dad and I went to buy his dream speaker system we went to a local high end dealer and listened to a number of klipsch offerings.Even though my father had a large penthouse living room with space for big speakers for some reason the Forte 1s hit the sweet spot for both of us. Not that the full klipsch line at the time didn’t sound fantastic but for some reason the fortes sound just grabbed us. My father was wealthy so he could have afforded Chorus or Cornwalls or Lascalas but for whatever reason we brought the fortes home. He enjoyed them for the next 15 years of his life and listened to them every day and never gave a second thought of upgrading or changing them out. 

They now reside in my house and fit nicely size wise and sound wise is my smaller sized townhome. I have changed out to Crites crossovers and changed the tweeters to Dave a Lmahls and have a large Hsu sub and now 20 years since my father passed I still enjoy them many hours every day. To my ears they sound fantastic even though they are not larger. Large speakers are needed in large rooms but the Fortes more than fill my house with music.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you ever made a direct comparsion beetwen your forte 1 and a Chorus model?