RIP Leslie West - Mountain

rplace

Going to share a note from Mark Chatfield I just saw.  Mark always said he was going to play w/Bob Seger.  I always laffed and told him to keep workin.  He did and he did.  He had to be a pup when he saw Leslie w/Felix and the boys but everyone has their Kodak moments.  Leslie was a great guy and will be missed.

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a musical instrument, dancing, on stage, night and guitar

From Mark:

RIP Leslie West.
I can’t even describe the effect he had on me as a player. (I got fired from my first band in early 1970 , because I wanted to learn Mississippi Queen & they wanted to learn Hitchin’ A Ride” !!)
From using Les Paul Jrs since 1974, to some of my playing style and tone ( though there was only One Leslie West and the only one with “that” tone.)
There are few guitar players out there instantly recognizable after 2 or 3 notes.
He’s at the top of that list !
I still think the live side of Flowers of Evil is some of the best Rock guitar playing and tone ever recorded.
I’ve heard his licks/style from other players , but never have I heard anyone say “He/She sounds just like Leslie West”. Don’t think it could be done !!!
He was truly One of a Kind.
RIP Leslie West.

• Like 4

Sad, wish I still had my analog here got a couple I'd play again of his.

Rock is Dead I saw as another thread. He was a big part of more 70s bands getting their sound to emulate his I'd bet.

RIP Leslie...         

Thanks for taking me and my friends along with you... many times man!

• Like 2

Trying to do the math. Guess it doesn’t matter much..it was October 1970 IIRC Sam Houston Colosseum. First concert of my life. Mom took my best friend and myself. 
Black Sabbath opened. They were good.

From our balcony box seats situated stage left, just perfect to see the largest guitar slinger I’d ever seen  waddle up the steps to the stage. It was Leslie West.

Needless to say Mountain did headline for a reason. That evening in this huge venue Mountain blew Sabbath back across the pond.

I could write a short novel about everything from that night. I will remember it well etched into my brain!

RIP big man Leslie. You’re playing style and vibrato is timeless and incredible. 
Oh, and the Marshall’s not arriving, leaving borrowed Sunn Colosseum Leads. 
Yes I was there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1