Klipschorn durability

cristphoto

Brand new member here. First post.

I am the original owner of a pair of Klipschorns that were made in March 1981.  They still sound great but I was wondering how long the speaker crossovers last. They will be 40 years old  in a few months.  I've never abused the speakers or had any electrical thumps, pops, etc. hit the speakers.  The only thing different on them is I changed out the the internal wiring with Monster Cable.  I also stapled vinyl floorboard molding to the back of the speaker to get good corner sealing.   Thanks for any help.

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forum!

They could probably use a refresh on the caps. 

This is Klipsch's authorized source for crossover repair and refurbish:

https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036957831-Heritage-Crossover-Repairs

JEM PERFORMANCE AUDIO

(412) 401-6915
https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

499 Limestone Dr
Bethel Park, PA 15102 United States

If you are handy with soldering their are some DIY parts kits to do it, and a lot of information here on the Forum about doing this and I am sure you will get plenty of ideas.

Travis

• Like 2

Life of the Capacitors by the Manufacturers is between 20-30 years

Yes it is time to replace them.

If you or a friend knows how to solder, there are lots of options to source the caps.

Gaskets on the threaded horn drivers are probably dry rotted and should be replaced

Also check the wiring for day rot, I had to replace wires.

Wipe on some watco natural oil, if you haven't done it already.

MC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Brand new member here. First post.

I am the original owner of a pair of Klipschorns that were made in March 1981.  They still sound great but I was wondering how long the speaker crossovers last. They will be 40 years old  in a few months.  I've never abused the speakers or had any electrical thumps, pops, etc. hit the speakers.  The only thing different on them is I changed out the the internal wiring with Monster Cable.  I also stapled vinyl floorboard molding to the back of the speaker to get good corner sealing.   Thanks for any help.

BTW I have some Crites crossovers I am going to list soon in the Garage Sale section.

PM me if interested and I will figure a price

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, tromprof said:

Or..

Drop in replacements

https://critesspeakers.com/crossovers.html

@Youthman recently got some kits from them of his LS L, C, R and did a Youtube video, I think he mentioned he had option to send them in to have them do it; or a get to DIY which is what he ended up doing. I can't remembered if they had drop in replacements as well.

From their website:

NEWS RELEASE:

WE ARE NOW THE KLIPSCH FACTORY AUTHORIZED CROSSOVER NETWORK REPAIR CENTER.  WORKING WITH KLIPSCH CHIEF ENGINEER ROY DELGADO, WE HAVE THE CORRECT NETWORK CAPACITORS FOR VINTAGE KLIPSCH HERITAGE SPEAKERS.  WE KEEP YOUR VINTAGE KLIPSCH SPEAKERS SOUNDING JUST LIKE PAUL W. KLIPSCH INTENDED.  CALL US AT 412-401-6915 FOR INFORMATION. 

A FEW TESTIMONIALS:

"AK-3 recap kit does make a difference in my system.  I had an AK-3 network made by a popular vendor and always felt something was missing.  Now my system sounds full and correct.  This is what I wanted to hear!"

CT Md.

"Bought caps from the popular vendor and my Cornwalls never sounded right.  Bass peaks and shrill treble.  Installed your caps and I can say the popular S caps aren't right.  The Cornwalls are now balanced with excellent tight bass and smooth treble.  My Cornwalls are back!  FANTASTIC!!"

KM Ga.

"Spectacular.  Crisp, clean and so full!  Beside myself..."

DD Pa.

SOLID KLIPSCH ENGINEERING.  NEED WE SAY MORE?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. This sounds like a winter project to tackle. Lookin through my old Dope From Hope sheets they should have Type AA crossovers. I'm handy with a soldering iron - built an old Dynaco 400 amp many years ago. Will the above listed dealer ship specific components or do they only do the repair in house? Do you have to remove the crossover from the top box or can the changeout be done with crossover in place?  How many capacitors involved and approximate cost.  Has anyone done this?  What is the audio impact with new caps? I'm 71 so my ears aren't as golden compared to my youth but I still know good sound when I hear it.  Again thanks for any help.  New to this forum and its very helpful.  

I own 1978 Klipschorns and they sounded fabulous even with 30 year-old crossovers.  I sent the crossovers to Bob Crites about five years ago to give them a once over and he replaced all the old capacitors.  It was very quick --  I had my crossovers back within a few days -- much faster than I expected.  He also sells the kits if you want to replace the capacitors yourself.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, cristphoto said:

Thanks for the responses. This sounds like a winter project to tackle. Lookin through my old Dope From Hope sheets they should have Type AA crossovers. I'm handy with a soldering iron - built an old Dynaco 400 amp many years ago. Will the above listed dealer ship specific components or do they only do the repair in house? Do you have to remove the crossover from the top box or can the changeout be done with crossover in place?  How many capacitors involved and approximate cost.  Has anyone done this?  What is the audio impact with new caps? I'm 71 so my ears aren't as golden compared to my youth but I still know good sound when I hear it.  Again thanks for any help.  New to this forum and its very helpful.  

the schematic for the AA network is attached    here are the instructions on how to rebuild the AA -it's pretty straight forward -  3 caps need to be replaced -13uF

and two  2 uF   -

you have to check the inductor on the top left of the XO,  if the screw is magnetic , you have to replace it with a non-magnetic screw , otherwise  , leave it all as is if the screw is non-magnetic -

post-30216-0-34180000-1390167998.jpg

• Klipsch Employees

It’s pretty simple and it’s not very complicated.  It’s just not “Roy” endorsing JEM, it Klipsch.  And for the umpteen time, crites and alk or anyone else and the products they sell, are not Klipsch approved. 

Most people who modify a part on their network have no idea how it might affect the overall voltage transfer, which affects the spectral balance of the speaker. But it’s your speaker....do what you want. If you want the original intent, then replace with original specified parts. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/26/2020 at 3:49 PM, cristphoto said:

They sell DIY kits, with everything you need.

Travis