Vintage Klipschorn provenance

Ol_mcdonald

I own a pair of 1977 vintage Klipschorns I purchased in 1984 from a singer/songwriter who recently passed away and I would like to establish their provenance by identifying the original purchaser, beyond my own legend, such as it is. I have a receipt memorializing the sale written in his hand, with his signature, transferring ownership to me. I lived it so there is no doubt in my mind the receipt  is authentic...but you know, "anybody could have written that". I got a response from Klipsch back in the day ID'ing them and their vintage, but I am curious now if it is possible for Klipsch to identify the original owner, the ethical and legalities are above my pay scale so I defer to those better versed in those matters.

I have no intention of selling them (unless offered stupid money or Jubes lol!) but would like the information to determine the speakers provenance and add it to my collection of memoribilia related to them. Merry Christmas everyone and THANKS in advance!

Doubtful.  Some of Klipsch's original records establish the date a speaker was shipped and the retailer they were shipped to but that's about it. 

Probably best to have the signed document analyzed by a signature expert.  They could provide a COA.

I ordered my Klipschorns new back in 1981. It took about one month for then to arrive at my dealer.  Included in each box was a warranty sheet I filled out giving my name address, etc.  So unless the original owner registered the speakers in a like manner Klipsch wont have a name on record. I know my dealer has since gone out of business and your speakers are four years older so they might be gone as well.  Best wishes.  

10 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

I ordered my Klipschorns new back in 1981. It took about one month for then to arrive at my dealer.  Included in each box was a warranty sheet I filled out giving my name address, etc.  So unless the original owner registered the speakers in a like manner Klipsch wont have a name on record. I know my dealer has since gone out of business and your speakers are four years older so they might be gone as well.  Best wishes.  

This has me wondering/curious.

I bought my LaScalas in 1979.  I have no recollection if I sent in a warranty card or not.  I've wondered for years if @JRH , the company would know who the end buyer is (did the selling dealer provide any detail or was it the warranty card specifically that detailed ownership to the individual buyer?)

If you're the original owner of the speakers simply call Klipsch and give them the serial numbers.  If registered they can tell you (or at least they used to be able).  I called them a few years after my purchase and had a question about the top box horns.  They asked for the serial # and then could tell me how they were built.  Quality service.  I believe all Heritage Series speakers had sequential serial numbers as Klipsch used to build them and test them as a pair (at least when PWK was alive). 

Edited by cristphoto

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ol_mcdonald said:

I own a pair of 1977 vintage Klipschorns I purchased in 1984 from a singer/songwriter who recently passed away and I would like to establish their provenance by identifying the original purchaser, beyond my own legend, such as it is. I have a receipt memorializing the sale written in his hand, with his signature, transferring ownership to me. I lived it so there is no doubt in my mind the receipt  is authentic...but you know, "anybody could have written that". I got a response from Klipsch back in the day ID'ing them and their vintage, but I am curious now if it is possible for Klipsch to identify the original owner, the ethical and legalities are above my pay scale so I defer to those better versed in those matters.

I have no intention of selling them (unless offered stupid money or Jubes lol!) but would like the information to determine the speakers provenance and add it to my collection of memoribilia related to them. Merry Christmas everyone and THANKS in advance!

the only person who could answer this question is the historian of the Klipsch forum @JRH     , he may be able to tell you whether  there is confirmation that these  shipped to John Prine  based on the serial numbers

5 hours ago, JMON said:

I'm a bit confused on what you are trying to accomplish.  Are you try to determine if there was another owner prior to the person you bought it from?  If so, what is the purpose?

I'm also confused. If the poster bought them from the original owner and doesn't plan to sell them what is he purpose? He knows who he bought from, but he wants to confirm who he bought from?    

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I'm also confused. If the poster bought them from the original owner and doesn't plan to sell them what is he purpose? He knows who he bought from, but he wants to confirm who he bought from?    

I imagine he just wants corroborating evidence to enhance the historical value. He bought them from John Prine who was quite famous and the only thing he has as proof is a handwritten bill of sale, something easily forged.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2020 at 7:26 AM, wetowne said:

I imagine he just wants corroborating evidence to enhance the historical value. He bought them from John Prine who was quite famous and the only thing he has as proof is a handwritten bill of sale, something easily forged.

the bill of sale can be Authenticated , and the sole fact that the OP purchased them from John Prine himself   - I would think that these   klipsch khorns  should be preserved , as John Prine 's original Khorns

18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the bill of sale can be Authenticated , and the sole fact that the OP purchased them from John Pine himself   - I would think that these   klipsch khorns  should be preserved , as John Pine 's original Khorns

Pine?