Vintage Klipschorn provenance

Ol_mcdonald

I was assuming that maybe the purpose was to potentially increase the sale price for these Klipschorns.  I don't believe there would be much (if any) value increase based on who a prevous owner was, unless it was someone really, really, really famous (like Elvis).  Getting a higher price for these speakers would have to come from a serious John Prine fan or maybe one of his familiy members or friends -- who also wanted to own Klipschorns (very large speakers that most people out there won't want).

23 minutes ago, JMON said:

I was assuming that maybe the purpose was to potentially increase the sale price for these Klipschorns.  I don't believe there would be much (if any) value increase based on who a prevous owner was, unless it was someone really, really, really famous (like Elvis).  Getting a higher price for these speakers would have to come from a serious John Prine fan or maybe one of his familiy members or friends -- who also wanted to own Klipschorns (very large speakers that most people out there won't want).

the OP does not wish to sell them ,  these speakers hold a sentimental value for the OP -

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ol_mcdonald said:

I own a pair of 1977 vintage Klipschorns I purchased in 1984 from a singer/songwriter who recently passed away and I would like to establish their provenance by identifying the original purchaser, beyond my own legend, such as it is. I have a receipt memorializing the sale written in his hand, with his signature, transferring ownership to me. I lived it so there is no doubt in my mind the receipt  is authentic...but you know, "anybody could have written that". I got a response from Klipsch back in the day ID'ing them and their vintage, but I am curious now if it is possible for Klipsch to identify the original owner, the ethical and legalities are above my pay scale so I defer to those better versed in those matters.

I have no intention of selling them (unless offered stupid money or Jubes lol!) but would like the information to determine the speakers provenance and add it to my collection of memoribilia related to them. Merry Christmas everyone and THANKS in advance!

the Signature on the Bill of Sale  shows  John E  Prine  ,   we all know the singer /songwriter as John Prine --   now , the middle initial E is not known to most fans , which adds authenticity to your Bill of Sale   I would invite you to reach by PM   @JRH  and @dwilawyer  for your request as this thread can be transferred to a section called ASK THE HISTORIAN -

18 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the OP does not wish to sell them ,  these speakers hold a sentimental value for the OP -

If that is true, then there is no reason to get any official confirmation from Klipsch.  The OP knows he bought them from John Prine (not Pine) and he knows his receipt is authentic.

9 hours ago, JMON said:

If that is true, then there is no reason to get any official confirmation from Klipsch.  The OP knows he bought them from John Prine (not Pine) and he knows his receipt is authentic.

Not true. It's always good to establish strong provenance, whether you intend to sell or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wetowne said:

The OP seems to have abandoned this thread so I'm done explaining things.

Yes, best not to put all my energy in some of these talking to a never ending thread when end up talking to my self.

Boy asked me what my old girlfriend left me with.

Had to tell him she left me alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Boy asked me what my old girlfriend left me with.

Had to tell him she left me alone.

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' left was all she left to me,
Feelin' good was easy, Lord, when Bobby sang the blues,
And buddy, that was good enough for me.
Good enough for me and Bobby McGee.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the Signature on the Bill of Sale  shows  John E  Prine  ,   we all know the singer /songwriter as John Prine --   now , the middle initial E is not known to most fans , which adds authenticity to your Bill of Sale   I would invite you to reach by PM   @JRH  and @dwilawyer  for your request as this thread can be transferred to a section called ASK THE HISTORIAN -

This made me smile, because it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Costanza buys a car from *John* Voight (vs Jon) 😄

Wonder why Mr. Prine sold the K-horns...

1 hour ago, fmalloy said:

This made me smile, because it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Costanza buys a car from *John* Voight (vs Jon) 😄

Wonder why Mr. Prine sold the K-horns...

well , I would hope that the OP can capitalize on his purchase of these Khorns would the Bill of sale be Genuine ,

as far as reasons to sell the Khorns , the Man married and divorced several times , and he may have offloaded  the  speakers as old baggage -

I’m baaack. Sorry for the long hiatus, holidays, family. I did in fact buy them for $1000.00 cash from John Prine, who at that date had just returned from Hawaii on honeymoon.

I learned about them from a salesman at Audio Systems in Nashville, TN who I had bought other Klipsch Heritage speakers from....he knew I would buy them. I had to wait for him to return from Hawaii, the longest week of my young life! I left a message for him to call when he returned with his “house sitter”.

I remember him calling and having a quick, nervous conversation about the how’s, where’s and when’s of the transaction and setting an appointment, so to speak. I arrived at his home in my Ford p/u and knocked on the door. Again startstruck (I know, not Elvis but I was a Prine fan already) he answered the door and invited me in where I met his house sitter...Roger Cook. Wiki his name if you aren’t familiar with him. We talked about them for a few minutes and not wanting to seem like a Stan didn’t want to outright ask for his autograph, but in a moment of pure genius (lol)I asked for a receipt. He gladly complied. John Prine, Roger Cook and I loaded them in the back of my truck...almost 40 years ago.

I have no desire to sell them and the story I just told could be as fake as a “made up” receipt. I’m a Klipsch fan, have been since the first time I heard them. I’ve owned several pair, visited the Klipsch factory in Hope, had the keys handed to me to what is now the museum to go drool over all the historical goodies inside because no one was available to show me around. I asked to see the anechoic chamber and the lady there respectfully declined saying it was in use. I’m a fan who owns the speakers of my dreams at the time I bought them, who happened to have been owned by a somewhat famous singer songwriter. I’m a fan of Paul W. Klipsch and his legacy, my listening room is modeled (dimensionally) after his in building 116, I read in Dope from Hope he referred to as Studio 116.

So why? My own personal satisfaction as to the chain of ownership, which I believe to be short, and to further establish their authenticity so when the day comes for me to pass the torch this isn’t just so much here-say, another tall tale from Nashville. My hope is my son would cherish them as much as I do, and I would like for him or their new owner to be able to tell the story.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ol_mcdonald said:

I’m baaack. Sorry for the long hiatus, holidays, family. I did in fact buy them for $1000.00 cash from John Prine, who at that date had just returned from Hawaii on honeymoon.

)I asked for a receipt. He gladly complied. John Prine, Roger Cook and I loaded them in the back of my truck...almost 40 years ago.

John E Prine was a Great Country  Singer ,  and a Great Man  for his Charitable Works around the USA   -

There is no doubt in my mind   that the Klipsch  Museum  would want to add to the History Books that the 2 speakers you own , and who have a  specific set of Serial Numbers were owned by John Prine    you should try to PM  @JRH     , Jeff is the Klipsch Museum Historian , as well as  @dwilawyer   , he is the Honorary Life Member of the klipsch museum  ---

By the Way , I would invite you to safeguard the Bill of Sale , since it can be Authenticated by the immediate Family of John E Prine as well as by Roger Cook -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1977, the primary Klipsch dealer in Nashville was Audio Systems, off Elliston

Place, and that was where I first heard Klipsch.  They were astonishing!  One demo was a quad setup with K-horns in the front and Belle Klipsch as rears.   It recreated the sound I'd recently heard in the Nashville Municipal Auditorium in a completely believable way!  It started my Klipsch journey.

I think I still have an Audio Systems reciept from that era.

Rumour had it that Nicholson's Hi-Fi carried Klipsch after Audio Systems died. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 7:01 PM, JohnA said:

In 1977, the primary Klipsch dealer in Nashville was Audio Systems, off Elliston

Place, and that was where I first heard Klipsch.  They were astonishing!  One demo was a quad setup with K-horns in the front and Belle Klipsch as rears.   It recreated the sound I'd recently heard in the Nashville Municipal Auditorium in a completely believable way!  It started my Klipsch journey.

I think I still have an Audio Systems reciept from that era.

Rumour had it that Nicholson's Hi-Fi carried Klipsch after Audio Systems died   

Yep.  Remember Audio Systems well!  Not sure who got Klipsch after.  I'm a Desmoduo guy, myself  😉

Edited by chassell
grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent many an hour and dollar in Audio Systems, they were on 22nd Ave. Jack Tinzel owned it an Alan Burrus was the manager (at one point). Ray Elkins was my favorite salesman. I believe Jack passed away a few years ago and Alan went on to own and operate Hi-Fi Buys in Nashville. I would be shocked if Nicholsons picked up Klipsch, they always flew the Mc flag proudly. They, like most of the dealers of that era, no longer exist. Audio Systems is where I heard Klipsch first, but originally started my hi fi journey there with JBL after my dads shop (in the alley off Elliston Place) had built a pair of JBL studio monitors for Bobby Goldsboro and left the plans from JBL behind. I built a pair but soon had to replace them with a pair of Cornwalls. Audio Systems hosted an  event there with Paul Klipsch as guest speaker, as luck would have it, I had to work. My nephew was able to atend and still has a yellow bullshit pin he got there.

I will submit my serial numbers for further info from @JRH Thanks in advance!