How to proceed with Heresy network(s)

wuzzzer

Here's where I'm at:

Decided to use my new to me 80 Heresys as my front mains and one of my 81 Heresys as a center.  The 80s were 100% stock.  I hooked them up to listen and could tell the dynamics weren't quite there.  I swapped networks between them as I had changed out the leaking PIO caps with Sonicaps in my 81s about a year ago.

So, now the 81s sound great and I'm wondering what to do with my center's network.  I'm considering three options:

1)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with Sonicaps.

2)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with new Russian PIO caps that @thebes suggested.

3)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with Audiocap Theta or Arizona Blue Cactus that @Deang suggested.

If I do #1, I'm good to go as far as no further changes. 

If I do #2 or #3, eventually I would change the caps in the front mains to match.

@wuzzzer, if I was redoing mine, I have 1980s and 1984s, which I’m not because I already updated them, I would go with @Deang suggestions. They might be available from Parts Connexion, not on sale and you have to check Before you buy for actual stock levels, sometimes let’s say their inventory on hand is optimistic.

Taps, cables may be soldered so you will need to remove and either solder to new point or put on crimped or soldered quick connects to facilitate easy changes in future. Not hard if you are ok with soldering. 

Not to add to your choices, but I have liked Jantzen Z-Silver caps in my Heresy if other options don’t pan out. Parts Express for those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan of the cheap Sonicaps.  If you are going to change out caps I would definately take Dean's advice as he has tried a very large number of different capacitors over the years and the AudioCap Theta's are superior ask me how I know.  Heresy's are easy two 2uf caps and a coil.  I would replace the coil with a better one while you are at it

17 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Here's where I'm at:

Decided to use my new to me 80 Heresys as my front mains and one of my 81 Heresys as a center.  The 80s were 100% stock.  I hooked them up to listen and could tell the dynamics weren't quite there.  I swapped networks between them as I had changed out the leaking PIO caps with Sonicaps in my 81s about a year ago.

So, now the 81s sound great and I'm wondering what to do with my center's network.  I'm considering three options:

1)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with Sonicaps.

2)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with new Russian PIO caps that @thebes suggested.

3)  Replace the PIO caps in the center with Audiocap Theta or Arizona Blue Cactus that @Deang suggested.

If I do #1, I'm good to go as far as no further changes. 

If I do #2 or #3, eventually I would change the caps in the front mains to match.

If you have time, money and a soldering iron.

You could do Capacitor rolling and give us your feedback

Roll two speakers and keep a 3rd as the reference as a Comparison.

Some french audio club did this a few years ago, don't recall if they reached anything conclusive

but they did drink quite a few bottles of wine over the three day weekend. Maybe they liked the Elna caps.

There is a guy in Japan that resells JBL, builds his own huge crossovers using the huge Jentzen caps.

Crites and parts express have the inductors and autoformers, and all kinds of resistors. The possibilities are endless

If you want to go all out, you can do frequency sweeps and record them on a pc.

MC