Atmos Ceiling Speakers

Emmett Stone

Hi folks, new member here. I have a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system with Klipsch Reference speakers. Because I have a sloped ceiling, I have two height speakers mounted high on the wall where the TV is mounted. I would prefer to have ceiling speakers overhead but the sloped ceiling presents a challenge. I would think that pendant speakers would work, but Klipsch doesn’t make them. Has anyone resolved this issue? Are their compatible pendants out there? Are there pendant housings that will accept Klipsch ceiling speakers? Should I mount Klipsch speakers to the ceiling in a way that aim at the listening location?

TIA,

Emmett

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forum Emmett.

First, Klipsch does make pendant speakers, their commercial pendants are some of the best in the industry, and they have 8 ohm bypass so you are not required to run them in a 70/100V distributed system. https://www.klipsch.com/pro/distributed-audio/in-ceiling.

Can you post some photos of the room/ceiling?

You may be in luck, the Klipsch Museum of Audio History just received a large donation of their Custom Installation ceiling and in-wall speakers (the Custom and Designer series), and we are in the process of getting them all listed here in the Forum in the next week or so.

@bhendrix Bill Hendrix is leading up the charge on that and he has been doing a lot of research on which speakers in those lines will be optimum for ATMOS overhead applications.

If you post photos I am sure that he will be able to give you some ideas.

Travis

Hi Emmett and welcome to the Forum!!

I am researching some interesting up-coming options from the Museum Store (new post to follow).  Klipsch does make pendants to which you can add in-ceiling speakers, but that will likely be less satisfying.

Klipsch makes the Designer Series that offer two options with pivoting (aimable) woofer and tweeter, the 8" DS-180CDT and the 6.5" DS-160CDT.  I am ordering a pair of the DS-180CDT to use as ceiling height speakers so I can aim them back to the listening area.  There is a modest 15 degrees of aimability.

The Klipsch Museum of Audio History will be offering B stock DS-180CDT for about $175 each and the DS-160CDT for about $152 each, bit over half off.  Watch for details coming soon . . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks, new member here. I have a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system with Klipsch Reference speakers. Because I have a sloped ceiling, I have two height speakers mounted high on the wall where the TV is mounted. I would prefer to have ceiling speakers overhead but the sloped ceiling presents a challenge. I would think that pendant speakers would work, but Klipsch doesn’t make them. Has anyone resolved this issue? Are their compatible pendants out there? Are there pendant housings that will accept Klipsch ceiling speakers? Should I mount Klipsch speakers to the ceiling in a way that aim at the listening location?

TIA,
Emmett
I picked up some Dayton audio speakers that I can mount. I have a similar issue as you. I have a room above the garage that's a barn like shape. Hoping to set everything up soon

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk