New KT150s for xmas

Fido

Wife bought me 8 Cryo treated KT - 150s to roll into my Primaluna EVO 400 integrated amp. Besides changing out my two center preamp tubes to Brimars I had never tubed rolled before and now I am going to try the KT - 150s to replace my EL - 34s that came with the PL - hoping I like the experiment. 

63D22B8B-093B-4926-A122-C7FE6505D05B_1_105_c.jpg

• Like 4

Let me know how you like them and if the cage will fit using the KT-150s.  They won't on my Dialogue Premium HP.  No big deal to me as I enjoy an unobstructed view of the tubes.  Even using KT-120s there is a nickel width of clearance from tube to cage.

Very nice present!

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Wife bought me 8 Cryo treated KT - 150s to roll into my Primaluna EVO 400 integrated amp. Besides changing out my two center preamp tubes to Brimars I had never tubed rolled before and now I am going to try the KT - 150s to replace my EL - 34s that came with the PL - hoping I like the experiment. 

Very nice gift indeed! 

May I ask what is tucked under the Primula Amp? 

Merry Christmas, BTW! 

1 hour ago, ILI_MeloManiac said:

Very nice gift indeed! 

May I ask what is tucked under the Primula Amp? 

Merry Christmas, BTW! 

That is a Schiit Loki graphic equalizer I use for some of my vinyl that needs some frequencies adjusted on occasion 

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Let me know how you like them and if the cage will fit using the KT-150s.  They won't on my Dialogue Premium HP.  No big deal to me as I enjoy an unobstructed view of the tubes.  Even using KT-120s there is a nickel width of clearance from tube to cage.

Very nice present!

So its only been 30 minutes with the KT 150s but WOW WOW WOW --- My wife said it sounded so much richer and fuller and I have to agree -- sounds like a beefier amp - I bought some rubber 3/4 inch spacers and glued some pins in them that match the pins of the cage and the cage now easily clears the KT 150s - I may run it without the cage however because the KT 150s look pretty cool

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drewg said:

Wow, what a nice gift! I look forward to your review of the KT150s. Most say the bass is much tighter with a more solid state sound.

I do not think its just the bass that is tighter - the sound seems fuller - richer and much more punchy thru the midrange - highs sound solid and good and that is right out of the box - I am looking forwardt to hear these puppies once they start getting some hours of break-in.

• Like 1

One other comment, when I switched from my McIntosh integrated the biggest thing I noticed with the Primaluna was a deeper depth of sound. When I changed out the 2 preamp tubes to Brimars that sense of depth was enhanced. After a few hours listening today with the 8 KT- 150s I am amazed how much deeper the music sounds. Thanks to my wife and the people at Upscale Audio for adding so much to my listening enjoyment.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, Fido said:

You are not "trying" anything. Those 150's will NEVER come out of the PL. Every amp I have had since the 150's were introduced has been compatible. I will never switch back to any other output tube. I even used them with VRD's with Craigs approval way back when. It has never been about power either. I just love the way they sound. Better, tighter bass. More dynamic. Fuller, richer, more control. Smoother, say what you will. EL34's do have damn nice Mids, but overall i'll take the 150's.

I have had my second PL Integrated for a few years now which is a Dialogue Premium. Never used anything other than 150's in it. You will also never regret working with Kevin or any of his folks at Upscale. I have the Brimar for my PL that I got from Kevin. Bad news is, every time I try them I end up yanking them and putting the Cifte back in which I also got from him. I won't go into detail, but if you ever get the chance to try them, I suggest you do so. The Brimar don't even have 10 hours on them, so if you need some more....lol!

59 minutes ago, jorjen said:

You are not "trying" anything. Those 150's will NEVER come out of the PL. Every amp I have had since the 150's were introduced has been compatible. I will never switch back to any other output tube. I even used them with VRD's with Craigs approval way back when. It has never been about power either. I just love the way they sound. Better, tighter bass. More dynamic. Fuller, richer, more control. Smoother, say what you will. EL34's do have damn nice Mids, but overall i'll take the 150's.

I have had my second PL Integrated for a few years now which is a Dialogue Premium. Never used anything other than 150's in it. You will also never regret working with Kevin or any of his folks at Upscale. I have the Brimar for my PL that I got from Kevin. Bad news is, every time I try them I end up yanking them and putting the Cifte back in which I also got from him. I won't go into detail, but if you ever get the chance to try them, I suggest you do so. The Brimar don't even have 10 hours on them, so if you need some more....lol!

Could you try and explain in simple terms (for me at least) the differences you notice between the brimars and cifte?

Im about to buy 4 150s for my EVO300 integrated and wondering what preamp tubes would “best” match with them.

im looking for more separation and soundstage presence with my CW4s.

Mahalo

4 hours ago, habinger808 said:

Could you try and explain in simple terms (for me at least) the differences you notice between the brimars and cifte?

Im about to buy 4 150s for my EVO300 integrated and wondering what preamp tubes would “best” match with them.

im looking for more separation and soundstage presence with my CW4s.

Mahalo

I PM'ed you.

5 hours ago, jorjen said:

You are right I won’t be putting the el 34s back in. These kt150s take this amp to another level that I didn’t know even existed

I think I'm going to get myself a set of KT150's.. 💷💷 😱

Sounds like it's the way to go... I think Fido's sound searching is very much like mine.

Has the same Brimar's as myself so I can't wait to hear what each these have to offer.

Edited by Retrograde

27 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I think I'm going to get myself a set of KT150's.. 💷💷 😱

Sounds like it's the way to go... I think Fido's sound searching is very much like mine.

Has the same Brimar's as myself so I can't wait to hear what each these have to offer.

they will blow your mind! I promise!