R-15M fronts with CDT-5800 surrounds?

Ttumachy

I’ve had the R-15M bookshelf’s as the fronts for some time. Odd wall with fireplace and no real place to put floor speakers. Sound was good, but I’ve always wanted surround. 

Ok to today - my wife did a great job matching Klipsch and got me surround speakers. In ceiling CDT-5800. I can’t help but feel they are a bit too much.

9.5’ ceilings. Open floor plan with no wall to  one side (into another room) and window to the other side, no wall behind (into kitchen) and fireplace below tv. Not best set up, but it can’t be changed. 

With the above, I’m torn sending these back for the 5650’s for something more in line with the front speakers. But return these for smaller? Once I install these though, I can’t make the hole I cut smaller. I also can’t find anyone who has tried a match like this. 

Any thoughts?

• Moderators

The Museum will have Ceiling Speakers and In-Wall Speakers (Custom and Designer Series) for sale at some incredible prices on here pretty quickly. We are working on the list and shipping logistics.

@bhendrix has been researching these very extensively and should be in a position to answer some questions here pretty quickly on these.

Travis

10 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

if you are building a small TV room  , with great sound , the In ceiling CDT-5800.is a good start

Thanks. It’s a standard living room - a bit large and open to three other rooms with no walls. The R-15M will stay as the front. The 5800 would be in ceiling surrounds - only two places above and just behind couch area.

33 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

The Museum will have Ceiling Speakers and In-Wall Speakers (Custom and Designer Series) for sale at some incredible prices on here pretty quickly. We are working on the list and shipping logistics.

@bhendrix has been researching these very extensively and should be in a position to answer some questions here pretty quickly on these.

Travis

Thanks. I already have the R-15M installed and am happy with them for a family living room (not a dedicated theater room). I also have the 5800 from a Christmas gift. The question is if these 5800 I have on hand would over power the R-15M, or if I should send the 5800 set back for 5650 instead.

6 minutes ago, Ttumachy said:

The question is if these 5800 I have on hand would over power the R-15M,

the 5800 speakers  have a lot more room to cover , to mate with the lower speakes , since  they are in the ceiling  8-9 feet above  , and while the R-15M are much closer, going smaller will actually be worse -you will need 4 speakers 5650  versus 2 ----5800 --

I have rear RCR-5 (8" predecessor to 5800) in one room with RB-75 LCR and rear RCR-3 ( 6.5" predecessor to 5650) in another room with RB-75 LCR.  The 5 (8") is fuller sounding than the 3 (6.5").

Either speaker will work fine for surround, but you may prefer the larger.  I assume you are using a receiver that will allow you to adjust the volume of the rear to an appropriate "front-matching" level.

There is no replacement for displacement........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bhendrix said:

I have rear RCR-5 (8" predecessor to 5800) in one room with RB-75 LCR and rear RCR-3 ( 6.5" predecessor to 5650) in another room with RB-75 LCR.  The 5 (8") is fuller sounding than the 3 (6.5").

Either speaker will work fine for surround, but you may prefer the larger.  I assume you are using a receiver that will allow you to adjust the volume of the rear to an appropriate "front-matching" level.

There is no replacement for displacement........

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am using a receiver that will allow me to adjust the volume so I can lower these down to account for being larger. 

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the 5800 speakers  have a lot more room to cover , to mate with the lower speakes , since  they are in the ceiling  8-9 feet above  , and while the R-15M are much closer, going smaller will actually be worse -you will need 4 speakers 5650  versus 2 ----5800 --

Thanks. To clarify, the R-15M speakers are actually a bit further. They sit about 10’ in front of the couch. While the in ceiling will be directly above the couch at 9’ to ceiling (so closer than that to ear level).