WTB: CF-4s, ship or drivable from Minneapolis

bpplaysguitar

On 12/30/2020 at 11:29 AM, Shiva said:

The dude came down $200 bucks.  He's now asking $1600. Getting closer.  Perhaps, an offer of $1400, shipping included, might be put to him, to see if he bites.

Down to $1,000 now.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1903941706410048/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

• Thanks 1

Okay everyone. Since I'm new, I'd appreciate some perspective from those who have been here long enough to know how rare/not rare it is to find good condition, (pretty sure) version 1 CF-4s. I've been talking to the guy, and it seems like he would actually let them go lower than his ad. They are far away. However, I have some connections in the area where he is, and I have friends who sometimes drive between here and there so there's a good chance I could have a friend grab them on their next trip.

Is a great condition, version 1 set of CF-4s at a (not steal but) fair price something to really go out of my way to get? Or given 6 months, will I see a few more? Since there was a set listed at the time I found out about CF-4s, I have to assume there might be another when I'm ready to move to a house and use big speakers again.

If anyone who definitely won't try to snag them out from under me wants to chat about the details, send me a message.

4 minutes ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Or given 6 months, will I see a few more?

Who knows... There will be more, the prices will be all over the place and so will the distance. It seems that there will be more for less as money keeps getting tighter due to the virus, but that's a guess. After the housing bubble popped, there were homes, boats, audio gear and a lot more at buyer's market prices.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, opusk2k9 said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1903941706410048/

Not sure why they switched the drivers.

Those are set up like mine.  Electro Voice EV 1506 tweet/mid, braced cab, damped horns.

There are a couple of reasons why the drivers might be swapped out.  K-63's are unobtainium so if you blew one you would need a couple of replacement drivers.  The EV 1506 is a good replacement but not a drop-in due to being much heavier.  A shelf is needed to support the 11 pound drivers vs the OEM K-63 neo 4 pounders.

I replaced my K-63 with the DH 1506 because there was a harshness I wanted to get rid of in the HF.  The 1506 were reportedly an "upgrade" but I thought they and the K-63's were about equal.  The harshness was eliminated more by the damping material on the horn and by adding some polyfil to the cab which effectively did away with the harshness.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, bpplaysguitar said:

Exciting to see a much lower price, but oak is my least favorite finish and I'm not sure if I should go with non-original drivers

I consider the changes an upgrade in sound.  My CF-4's have the OEM K-64 swapped out for the DH-1506.  The new drivers work well and many consider this a major upgrade.  I see it as an approximate equal sound.

Here is the DH 1506 with 11 oz of pure silicon caulk asymmetrically applied.  The silicon caulk does help.

The CF-4's make great computer speakers.  🤜🤛

5a19ae522ef87_EVDH1505andK-63IMG_4285.JPG.f6f87d051334b46835c3e6e124e181eb.JPG

5920f9158f110_EVDH1505CF-4hornIMG_4290.JPG.c7cff0a72f76fb382dd2197ca5cb0726.JPG5a5da46ced990_CF-4Computersetupright1.thumb.jpg.68053bc463f650c39d6fc1fc468dacc0.jpg

24 minutes ago, Shiva said:

This thread has links to  2 different pairs for sale, an Oak pair on Facebook for a grand and a black pair on USAudiomart, now at $1600. 

the Facebook  speakers are a steal if they are still available for sale , the EV 1506 are worth 400$  easy , and they are very tough drivers as well as top sounding ,  and they are great replacements ------as per @wvu80   , Dave knows CF-4 's better than anybody on this forum--

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I consider the changes an upgrade in sound.  My CF-4's have the OEM K-64 swapped out for the DH-1506.  The new drivers work well and many consider this a major upgrade.  I see it as an approximate equal sound.

Here is the DH 1506 with 11 oz of pure silicon caulk asymmetrically applied.  The silicon caulk does help.

The CF-4's make great computer speakers.  🤜🤛

Ditto with Dave ,  the DH-1506 is one helluva driver -

• Like 1

So here's the scoop with the usadiomart pair: He'll take $1400 cash in hand, and I have some ways to get them to me via friends who travel back and forth from his area to mine. Kind of a hassle, but doable. I like black better than oak. And aren't they v1s? He has original boxes and manuals, which frankly might just add to the price and don't matter to me. I'd rather not have that stuff and pay less.

Also, if I should be advised these do come up often enough, I will simply wait for a good pair closer to me. I won't need them for 6 months or more, as in I won't be able to use them til then. So there's nothing wrong with doing nothing for the time being.

Edited by bpplaysguitar
  • Like 1

Re:  The Med Oak pair on MarketPlace:

s/n 022 69 0701 Made on day 022 in 1996 (y2y1) then s/n 0701.  These are version 3's. 

The v1 in 1994 is considered the Holy Grail of CF-4's.  There truly are some differences in the three year models with the v1 and v2 being very close to each other.  The v3 had different material (lighter) in the woofers, shorter 2.5" woofers and some crossover changes  The driver changes the Seller did in the tweet/mid was NOT considered to be a problem.

+++

Re: Audiomart in Black

s/n 041 59 5061

Those are Version 2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

s/n 022 69 0701 Made on day 022 in 1996 (y2y1) then s/n 0701.  These are version 3's. 

The v1 in 1994 is considered the Holy Grail of CF-4's.  There truly are some differences in the three year models with the v1 and v2 being very close to each other.  The v3 had different material (lighter) in the woofers, shorter 2.5" woofers and some crossover changes  The driver changes the Seller did in the tweet/mid was NOT considered to be a problem.

I am on board now that the new EV drivers are totally good on the IL set, but as far as the GA set on usaudiomart, are they V1? The horns look grey and 0415695060 and 041595061.

12 minutes ago, bpplaysguitar said:

I am on board now that the new EV drivers are totally good on the IL set, but as far as the GA set on usaudiomart, are they V1? The horns look grey and 041 59 5060 and 041595061.

You had a typo but we know what you meant.  Invert 59 and it comes out "95." Those are 1995, V2.

It's hard to tell color in pics but I have to say that horn looks gray.  Another way to tell versions is to measure the length of the port.  v2 & v3 have ports which are 2.5".  The 1994 v1 is the only one with a 5.5" long port.

post-58280-0-75120000-1459274934_thumb.jpg

Did you see my spreadsheet with confirmed CF-4 prices? I have detailed notes on each cell with a red triangle in the corner.  Date sold, location, condition, version, other stuff like shipping if applicable.

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You had a typo but we know what you meant.  Invert 59 and it comes out "95." Those are 1995, V2.

Did you see my spreadsheet with confirmed CF-4 prices? 

Ah okay, I thought some early 95s with grey horns might be V1 but I definitely trust your analysis. I couldn't open the spreadsheet on mac. My gut is telling me there will be others between now and the summer, and if I LIVED close to the guy, maybe I'd buy those black ones.

• Like 1