JEM Performance Capacitor kits

Vince1966

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Will he do a single? If not and you need a trio, I would be more than happy to splitting a pair.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure.  I haven't asked yet. 

34 minutes ago, sootshe said:

So you think the untouched set will still sound like they are brand new???

I will know more in the next week or so , I will order a set of caps and test out -

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 9:38 PM, The Dude said:

Will he do a single? If not and you need a trio, I would be more than happy to splitting a pair.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jim emailed me today - a single is available.  I'll be ordering that today for my center Heresy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

You guys still don’t get it. It’s about the WHOLE network and voltage transfer curves.......

There is a lot we don't get and that is why you are Chief and not us. Ditto what Zen says and hope you have a healthy productive 2021.

• Like 2

Come on guys, let's try to keep this thread on subject.

Anyway, to facilitate that, I just wanted to say that I just placed my order and am looking forward to updating my 1980 Heresy center speaker's network. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 1/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, Jefe said:

I am going to send them in early next week. I will let you know my before and after impressions in 2 -3 weeks.

Looking forward to hearing about that. Would you mind starting that in a new thread when you do it? 

I have been asked to clean this thread of the off topic stuff and keep it intact so people can get the general information, but want to make sure we have a place for the folks who indicated they were going to post their impressions. I will add a link to your new thread in this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

[This was a post by JEM in the Capacitors Rabbit Hole thread that I thought would be useful to post here to keep as much information together as possible. Travis]

There was a post on January 4 from jvs1670 in this thread that I feel requires a reply.  This forum member contacted me regarding upgrades to the AL network.  It appears that there are questions about the service I offer in comments that appeared in this thread.  I hope this post clarifies the service being offered.

Keep in mind my service only repairs Klipsch networks to factory specifications.  The only parts for the VINTAGE networks that are available and approved by Klipsch at present are the capacitors I provide.  Should a network require parts no longer available from Klipsch, the only way to maintain factory originality and have a genuine Klipsch product is to find and purchase a used, working ALL ORIGINAL network.  I do not provide this service.  It is up to the owner of the speaker to find a suitable replacement.  I know there are parts available that can be used to repair a network, but then the repair is not factory approved because of the use of unauthorized parts.  I don't get involved with those repairs.  My company only repairs networks that can be brought back to factory specifications using Klipsch approved parts.  That's it.  We don't experiment with off the shelf parts or perform unauthorized "up-grades".  We do install the new capacitor kit for a customer if they prefer, but recommend they do the installation themselves if at all possible.  The crossover network is the "brain" of the speaker and is very valuable.  With shipping costs what they are and with the possibility of loss or damage in transit, we suggest avoiding the risk.  The decision is up to the customer.  We provide detailed instructions and will answer questions if you have difficulty.  If one cannot solder, then the choices are send in the networks to us or find someone local to help with the installation.    

I had no idea when I responded to the email from jvs1670 that it would show up on this forum and would prompt responses that are totally out of context.  I was simply offering information gained through the years while working with Klipsch products.  jvs1670 asked me what could be done to improve the AL network.  I did not say the AL network is no good or  "sucks", my words were "isn't really the best".  If you are asking for a better network than the AL, you have the pre-owned market AL-3 or a brand new LaScala II complete upgrade.  These options, as well as back-dating to AA and the K55V, will maintain an authentic Klipsch product which is what this service is all about.  As far as the K55V and K55M drivers are concerned, I follow factory recommendation as to what network is suitable for each driver.  Some may like the sound of the K55M with the AA network.  That's fine, but it's not what Klipsch recommends and your speaker is not performing to factory specifications.  By the way, I do offer replacement caps for the AL network.   

I am not the enemy.  If you are interested in maintaining your Klipsch speaker as an authentic Klipsch product, contact us.  If you like to tinker, modify, whatever, have fun.  It's your speaker.  My company is simply offering a Klipsch approved service to those who wish to keep their vintage Klipsch speaker operating as PWK intended.    

• Like 11

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Some updated information from the JEM Performance Website:

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/capacitor-kits

Available Capacitor Kits

The following is a list of the capacitor kits that are currently available.  Kits marked with a * are high frequency only kits.  They do not contain the woofer capacitors.  The woofer capacitors are shunting capacitors and are not in the signal path.  They were very well made and rarely need replacing.  Please call 412-401-6915 for kit pricing information or email me at theaudioroom@verizon.net.

A                  B

AA                B-2 

AB                B-3              

AB-2              E

AK*               E-2

AK-2*             Heresy II

AK-3*             Forte

AL                Forte II

AL-2              Cornwall II       

AL-3              Chorus

KG-4              Chorus II

Quartet

Capacitor Kit Installations

If you do not feel comfortable installing the capacitor kit yourself, I offer installation of the following kits:

A - AA - AB - AB2 - AK* - AK2* - AK3* - AL - AL2 - AL3 - B - B2 - B3 - E - E2 - Cornwall II - KG4 

*indicates high frequency kit installation only - NO woofer capacitors.  These networks contained high quality foil capacitors that rarely need servicing.  It is also best not do remove the woofer door where these capacitors are located as you will need to re-seal the woofer door and check for leaks after removal to insure the woofer horn is air tight.                            

If you are interested in this service, please contact me at theaudioroom@verizon.net for pricing and turn-around time.    

• Like 1