JEM Performance Capacitor kits

Vince1966

I bought a pair AK2 1986 model Klipschorn back in June of this year. The original owner had bought and installed the Crites AK2 replacement as the original AK2 had incredible oxidation inside the factory installed "monster cables". After several weeks I was not happy with the sound of the Crites network. I thought it was a bit bright and harsh for my taste.

I found JEM audio on the web and contacted Jim. He sold me on updating the caps for the original AK2s. I had them installed and am now happier with the sound. I don't think they sound as good as a previous pair of AA 1976 Klipschorn that I once owned. Is that because of older ears or is it inflated musical memories? Well I guess it could be either or both.

I would recommend Jim and the caps that JEM sell. Whether the caps are approved by someone other than myself make no difference to me. I like them so what else matters?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 6:13 PM, Vince1966 said:

wondering if anyone has used the Klipsch Authorized repair company JEM performance and what Capacitors they use in their recap kits? I was leaning with the Crites Sonic caps but am curious what JEM is using. thanks for any input.

After speaking at length to Jim Moorhouse I feel pretty comfortable with having JEM update my crossovers. The caps they use were actually selected and authorized by engineers at Klipsch and the only ones that will keep your Heritage speakers authentic. It's hard to argue with that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jefe said:

I'm pretty sure Jim will sell you the parts or you can send them in and he will upgrade them.

Saw where he is taking yours in for refresh. Will be interested in 

hearing your impressions from the before and after.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Saw where he is taking yours in for refresh. Will be interested in 

hearing your impressions from the before and after.

Thanks!

I'm actually a little nervous to touch them because they are sounding so beautiful to me. All original AA crossovers from '79 that hadn't be played in almost 10 yrs when I bought them. They didn't sound good at first. Yesterday I turned the system on and couldn't stop listening all day. Can 41 yr. old caps still be good? 

1 minute ago, Jefe said:

I'm actually a little nervous to touch them because they are sounding so beautiful to me. All original AA crossovers from '79 that hadn't be played in almost 10 yrs when I bought them. They didn't sound good at first. Yesterday I turned the system on and couldn't stop listening all day. Can 41 yr. old caps still be good? 

Apparently good enough. Have had Klipsch like a LaScala pair with old original AL crossover.

Sounded good to me. Think were 84s.

Was wondering if you got the sound sorted out. Good deal then and cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Apparently good enough. Have had Klipsch like a LaScala pair with old original AL crossover.

Sounded good to me. Think were 84s.

Was wondering if you got the sound sorted out. Good deal then and cool.

I am going to send them in early next week. I will let you know my before and after impressions in 2 -3 weeks.

that's why , I keep 2 sets of crossovers   my original set remain untouched , and my spare set of Crossovers will be updated  ,  this will allow me to  hear the difference

Exactly what I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So, I'm very intrigued to try these.  Currently my 1980 Heresy mains have the networks that were in my 1981s and have Sonicaps.  The 1981 that I'm using as a center has one of the stock networks from one of the 1980 Heresys. 

I just don't know if I should go whole hog and replace all the caps in all three, start with just the center or just leave everything alone.  The center with the 40 year old network sounds really good to me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jefe said:

That's a great idea. Now to find a pair of AA crossovers. I see none on Ebay.

AA crossovers are not hard to build. No secret that Klipsch uses polyester caps in their crossovers now and there is nothing wrong with them. My experience with caps in x-overs and equipment is the different types, brands do sound somewhat different from each other. Who can argue with replacing modern Klipsch speakers with the caps the engineers at Klipsch liked as best sounding. 

• Like 1

that's why , I keep 2 sets of crossovers   my original set remain untouched , and my spare set of Crossovers will be updated  ,  this will allow me to  hear the difference
Wish I had done this. Great way of verifying if you truly needed updating.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

-Sonicaps  may not be the best klipsch replacement capacitor for the XO , but they are new caps worth 50$ , and they will last + 20 years --it would be a shame to ditch perfectly working caps for a slight difference in the sound while an LPAD can  adjust the sound of the mids or the Tweeter -

you can also adjust the taps up or down on the XO  in increments of  3db per tap  for each driver , this will  raise or lower the output of the mids or the tweeter  by 3db -
I see your point of replacing new caps, but if the current ones aren't meeting ones expectations. Then I would go a head and replace the cap then altering the crossover to compensate for the caps one is unhappy with.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk