AA Networks

baron167

right hand side is the  best , the left hand side is gotta be 50 years old

And believe it or not, the one on left still sounds good in my Klipschorns. I’m going to update one set of these. Leaning towards updating the right hand side set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, baron167 said:

And believe it or not, the one on left still sounds good in my Klipschorns. I’m going to update one set of these. Leaning towards updating the right hand side set.

I believe you hands down ,  when you keep on using parts they last --  you stop they  deteriorate -

-the right hand  AA is 3 caps ---a 13uF ,  and two 2 uF   the inductor on the top left must be checked in case the screw is magnetic ,  if it is , you must replace it with a non magnetic screw -

• Like 1

I believe you hands down ,  when you keep on using parts they last --  you stop they  deteriorate -

-the right hand  AA is 3 caps ---a 13uF ,  and two 2 uF , available from PE ,  the inductor on the top left must be checked in case the screw is magnetic ,  if it is , you must replace it with a non magnetic screw -

Tested and confirmed screw is magnetic. Were the screws used during development and testing not magnetic? What is the significance of it being magnetic and why do they need replaced? Thanks

32 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Tested and confirmed screw is magnetic. Were the screws used during development and testing not magnetic? What is the significance of it being magnetic and why do they need replaced? Thanks

correct , the screws were messed up during production  , they were meant to be non-magnetic -The AA  tweeter circuit   has a 245uH air core inductor with a non-magnetic screw  ,   with a magnetic screw  , the 245 uH bumps to 350 uH - 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, baron167 said:

A steel screw in the middle of a coil changes the MH value from spec. A brass screw which it should have been would not change the coil value. A 304 SS screw will also work though they are very slightly magnetic also. Brass is best. There are a number of these out there and conjecture about why they were used. I have a B&K 885 meter and it clearly shows a different value depending on the screw metal. If I remember right the values Randy quoted are correct.

• Like 1

You may consider this option before you make  a decission ....

Ordered yesterday [emoji41]
Jim was a pleasure to do business with. I’m going to update the newer set including brass screws [emoji120]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though brass is not magnetic, it is an electrically conductive copper-zinc alloy. To exclude both, plastic screws are the best solution.

kunsstoffschrauben.thumb.jpg.13a9c27467fe567a59a75e7ee6deafd8.jpg

I don’t disagree, but apparently not the original design.