AA Networks

baron167

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

I came to the conclusion that I would be most satisfied simply getting the networks back into spec versus trying to improve the design or sound of the Klipschorns through modifications. I’m going with original design as my end goal. Now about those new Jubilees coming out in 2021...

That´s the best decision you can make, if you gonna sell them as originals with origin revised AA Type X-overs.  They certainly have a higher value  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I used only plastic screws for my external crossovers to eliminate any induction.

x-over.thumb.jpg.3cd4d1090bfc6b1337f82fe91c685c5d.jpg

OK because so many use brass I assumed this was right to do. You got me curious and it led me to http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

and then to https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mounting-air-core-inductors.639281/

Now what I don't know is if the original design intent allowed for the minor change brass would make. Tolerances on things have gotten much tighter since the days of AA crossovers but evidently any metal can effect the coil to some degree. So now I have a new rabbit hole to go into.

• Like 2

OK because so many use brass I assumed this was right to do. You got me curious and it led me to http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm
  and then to https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mounting-air-core-inductors.639281/

Now what I don't know is if the original design intent allowed for the minor change brass would make. Tolerances on things have gotten much tighter since the days of AA crossovers but evidently any metal can effect the coil to some degree. So now I have a new rabbit hole to go into.

And there in lies my assumption of original design, development, and testing being done with brass screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It is not only the fastenings of the air coils that have an electrical influence but also the arrangement of the coils in the overall concept of a turnout. And of course all factors play an important role to ensure the original values of the components without direct or indirect influence. @CECAA850helped me with this diagramm to design my external  X-overs .

I am still very grateful to him for this, the measurements showed that all components met their specifications.

image.thumb.png.d5e75841f32b4f212acf3ffb49d26459.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, baron167 said:

And there in lies my assumption of original design, development, and testing being done with brass screws.

40+ years ago… And do not assume that every single inductor utilized a brass screw, many did not.

40+ years ago… And do not assume that every single inductor utilized a brass screw, many did not.

Referring to the one particular round one on this particular (newer) AA design on the right. It was pointed out that the application is to be a brass screw.

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I've had stock crossovers with both.  Others have as well.  I think they just used what they had if they ran low.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I've had stock crossovers with both.  Others have as well.  I think they just used what they had if they ran low.

The topic of what was allowable has been one I have asked before with no real answer. For instance I assume that ESR tolerances have tightened up a lot in the last 40 years. I would assume by measurements I have taken that substituting steel for brass would not be allowed but then there they are far more often then many might think. Then you get into tolerance stack up where you add the +10 or -10 allowable variances together and while a single part passes the aggregate fails the 10% tolerance allowable. I for one do not think these crossovers were designed to such tight tolerances that the extreme minor changes from brass screws were considered. Steel yes since they were by far used less often.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Yes , he's @JEM Performance  , members can contact  this  new  Klipsch Authorized  outfit  on the forum via PM

He put his contact info at bottom of that post:

I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915.

• Like 1

He put his contact info at bottom of that post:

I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915.

Jim was prompt to respond via his email when I reached out. I’m sure others will say the same thing.