AA Networks

baron167

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

I don’t disagree, but apparently not the original design.

the original design did call for  brass screws   , when I got my LaSscala's years ago , 1pair  shipped with brass screws from the Factory-

• Like 1

the original design did call for the brass screws   , when I got my LaSscala's years ago , 1pair  shipped with brass screws from the Factory-

Yes, I understand. Did you see my reply earlier in the thread? I am replacing with brass per the original design. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Yes, I understand. Did you see my reply earlier in the thread? I am replacing with brass per the original design. Thanks again.

And , you're going with the JEM Performance  caps, perfect job   @Youthman  did his  AA  in September , the speakers came out identical to the Originals --

• Like 1

Based on the AA networks on the left (which are in my 1974 Klipschorns), I have been listening to them for several years now and have been kicking around updating or replacing them. I had been leaning towards something from ALK. I never pulled the trigger. I purchased the newer AA networks on the right of the pic from a forum member. I came to the conclusion that I would be most satisfied simply getting the networks back into spec versus trying to improve the design or sound of the Klipschorns through modifications. I’m going with original design as my end goal. Now about those new Jubilees coming out in 2021...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Even though brass is not magnetic, it is an electrically conductive copper-zinc alloy. To exclude both, plastic screws are the best solution.

kunsstoffschrauben.thumb.jpg.13a9c27467fe567a59a75e7ee6deafd8.jpg

yea but....there is no electrical connection to the screw that goes down the center of an air core inductor to fasten it to a wood base. What ever floats your boat.

And it needs to be a wood screw or you'll have to put a nut on the other side.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, babadono said:

yea but....there is no electrical connection to the screw that goes down the center of an air core inductor to fasten it to a wood base. What ever floats your boat.

I saw three very knowledgeable crossover guys at a Chief bonehead event about 15 years ago discuss the possible effects of a metal screw on an aircore inductor. 1. No effect whatsoever; 2. Significant effect; and 3. It depends on the application, and other factors. Result: They agreed they would go check it out and get back with each other using a specific XO they were all familar with, and the means by which they would test it and get back with each other. (They were all engineers, or serious electronics guys). Never got to hear the results.

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I saw three very knowledgeable crossover guys at a Chief bonehead event about 15 years ago discuss the possible effects of a metal screw on an aircore inductor. 1. No effect whatsoever; 2. Significant effect; and 3. It depends on the application, and other factors. Result: They agreed they would go check it out and get back with each other using a specific XO they were all familar with, and the means by which they would test it and get back with each other. (They were all engineers, or serious electronics guys). Never got to hear the results.

HeHe......there is a meeting of the minds, they get hot and bothered about some issue....they go away to do tests/experiments and nothing comes of it. Yea that NEVER happens:)

6 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I can tell you that the value of the air core coil is changed with the steel screw. I had two AA crossovers and measured the 245uH coils on each with a B&K 885 and one was right at 245 and the other was over 300. My question at the time was why did they measure different and the answer was a steel screw. I have no way or knowledge on measuring the output of a crossover but  the coils value most definitely changes with a steel vs brass screw.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That’s helpful.

3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I can tell you that the value of the air core coil is changed with the steel screw. I had two AA crossovers and measured the 245uH coils on each with a B&K 885 and one was right at 245 and the other was over 300. My question at the time was why did they measure different and the answer was a steel screw. I have no way or knowledge on measuring the output of a crossover but  the coils value most definitely changes with a steel vs brass screw.

Thank you Dave.