Hello & Happy to Be Here - :)

hornrabbithole

First hello and hope everyone is well and safe.

So I have been lurkering on the forms for a while. Finally decided to join as I felt I could get better information around the speakers I have an interest in and insight from others which have used them. I had been using other forums but honestly I got tired of replies or post about other brands being better or someone dogging my choice of speakers just because my ear/interest is different.

While I am new to Klipsch horns. I am not to new a few other brands. I am a scratch and dent, old modeI, preowned type shopper as I just dont have the free cashflow I would like right now do to some other things tying up my finances. Anyhow I heard so many bad things about klipsch and them being so bright they are unpleasant that I have stayed away from ever trying them even when I did come across deals that I am already kicking myself for not buying. 

For the first time I got an entry level home receiver that is "ok" - compared to what I used in the past for movies/surround sound. I was hearing detail which I never got before. So then I decided to play some of my music on this same receiver just like movies I was hearing more detail. The first thing that came to mind was the rants so many have shared in other places about Klipsch being details but harsh and bright. So while I know its one of the cheapest speakers Klipsch makes I still went and purchased a R-51M & R-34C. I was shocked as how great these sounded compared to my other bookshelf's. Was unsure if it was just the new receiver or the horn. Put other speakers back on and the detail was gone. 

Well then I started doing my research on Klipsch and the difference in the speakers - hence the handle hornrabbithole. If I was going to spend a few hundred dollars on some klipsch then I wanted to at least make sure I was getting the best I could even if it was a reconditioned or older model. I since returned the 51M & 34C and got a RB-61 II & RC-62 II - OMG and WOW. The detail the crystal clearness in digital or instrumental music, voices clarity - on nice recordings even hearing the singers lip brush against the mic just gently. Well an RP-400M and RP-400C are in the UPS network and on the way to the house. While I have a feeling I will end up liking them even more I already know they will be replaced. I feel like this little R-51 intruded me into the Klipsch horn and now I am just chasing some dragon until I end up with Scala or Cornwall left and rights and this is only because I dont have room for the AK6s and I dont have a seperate room for music/movies. My spouse would be cool with me spending the money on the speakers if we ever had it - but not so much as getting a bigger house because we need the room for speakers lol.  

This little 51m smashed every negative review, rant and bad experience every heard about and giving new life into my world of music and media that I did not even know I was missing.    

Anyhow - thank you guys for what you already post and share with each other, it helped me learn that the RB-62 line was prior to the "RP-160M" and 600M... 

• Like 2

Welcome, yes It's amazing how good even the lower tier Klipsch speakers sound. Would you consider used speakers? It usually doesn't cost a lot to upgrade used gear, especially if you got a decent deal to begin with. Where are you located, lots of people on here to help find you audio deals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, Ceptorman said:

Welcome, yes It's amazing how good even the lower tier Klipsch speakers sound. Would you consider used speakers? It usually doesn't cost a lot to upgrade used gear, especially if you got a decent deal to begin with. Where are you located, lots of people on here to help find you audio deals.

Possibly but I have to be honest - I have seen a number of post online about people having a horrible experience with buying preowned items. I am sure this is not what happens most of the time, but I do have horrible luck and it makes me nervous. Either way best wishes and see you around the forum :)   

• Like 2