Klipsch or SVS

Bharath Abhishek

Hi..I have a 13x15 living room with minimal acoustic treatment ..m planning to go fr either Klipsch R100SW or SVS PB 1000..I m n an apartment and people are living downstairs..m tempted to go fr the powerful SVS..but since the room is a living room with windows and being an apartment should I restrict myself to Klipsch R100.. suggestions are welcome..

My Current Setup .. Denon 1600H with Klipsch R620f and R51M setup.. 

• Like 1

in an apt, any sub can cause problems for neighbors,  bass carries much easier than higher freq & at anything above "low volume" the bass of either sub will transfer to other apts, unless you have concrete floor & wall dividers like many condos do. 

as for which sub, i would go with the SVS.  apples to apples SVS is a much better sub & has far better customer service, even out of warranty on a case by case basis.  far too many problems with klipsch sub amps for me to ever buy or recommend a new klipsch sub.    

13 minutes ago, Bharath Abhishek said:

Hi..I have a 13x15 living room with minimal acoustic treatment ..m planning to go fr either Klipsch R100SW or SVS PB 1000..I m n an apartment and people are living downstairs..m tempted to go fr the powerful SVS..but since the room is a living room with windows and being an apartment should I restrict myself to Klipsch R100.. suggestions are welcome..

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

If you're able to see my signature you'll see that I'm a huge Klipsch fan.  You'll also see that my subs are SVS.  Klipsch makes some amazing passive speakers.  A high percentage of their powered subwoofers, though, have been the unfortunate victim of amp failures.

• Like 1

I am with @wuzzzer

I too have my fronts, center & surrounds all Klipsch. I used to have an RSW-15 Klipsch sub - performed great. However, too many Klipsch amp issues today with their subs. I would go SVS. I replaced the RSW-15 when it failed with a SVS PB16-Ultra.

Now - in an apartment. Maybe neither. You won't make any friends. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bharath Abhishek said:

Guys have concrete walls and the floor is covered with rugs n my apartment..based on ur recommendations I ll zero in on SVS..and do I need subwoofer isolation pads or other things to prevent room rattling .. or the rug s enough.. planning to set up SVS PB 1000

I found the spiked feet that come with the SVS sub were too short to contact the floor through my padded carpet; I felt the sub was resting on the bottom of the subwoofer.

I bought the SVS isolating feet, even though I have a carpeted floor, because living in a condo I was afraid of disturbing the neighbors. With your concrete floor, I don't see any benefit of the spiked feet coupling the low frequencies to the floor as they'll likely not be able to excite the concrete.

Use the stock feet and you'll be fine. If you find them too shallow for the sub to stand over carpet on them, then buy taller feet. Klipsch recommended Meniscus Audio to me. Just make sure the threads match.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:19 AM, Peter P. said:

I found the spiked feet that come with the SVS sub were too short to contact the floor through my padded carpet; I felt the sub was resting on the bottom of the subwoofer.

I bought the SVS isolating feet, even though I have a carpeted floor, because living in a condo I was afraid of disturbing the neighbors. With your concrete floor, I don't see any benefit of the spiked feet coupling the low frequencies to the floor as they'll likely not be able to excite the concrete.

Use the stock feet and you'll be fine. If you find them too shallow for the sub to stand over carpet on them, then buy taller feet. Klipsch recommended Meniscus Audio to me. Just make sure the threads match.

curious what model svs subs come with spiked feet? i have sb2000 & have looked at a few other current models like the 3000 & 4000 & they all have rubber feet from what i can see, no spikes.  

On 12/31/2020 at 6:34 AM, Bharath Abhishek said:

Guys have concrete walls and the floor is covered with rugs n my apartment..based on ur recommendations I ll zero in on SVS..and do I need subwoofer isolation pads or other things to prevent room rattling .. or the rug s enough.. planning to set up SVS PB 1000 

, I would opt for the klipsch  sub , way much easier on the neighbors  --and it sounds very balanced -

14 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I believe I threw out my stock SB-1000 feet. They were shallow spikes, maybe 1/2" tall, made of a material I can't recall, other than I believe they were black.

just curious but why are you calling the stock feet "spikes"... sb1000 & most if not all their other subs come with rubber feet,  not spikes. 

• Like 1

Sorry someone got upset with my post here earlier.

They've got a rubbery feel and are more like a top than the spikes for speakers that would ruin a hardwood floor. I replaced mine with more sub-stantial feet and they helped.

PXL-20210103-200912373.jpg

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Sorry someone got upset with my post here earlier.

They've got a rubbery feel and are more like a top than the spikes for speakers that would ruin a hardwood floor. I replaced mine with more sub-stantial feet and they helped.

PXL-20210103-200912373.jpg

That's what I had! Look like spikes/cones to me!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter P. said:

That's what I had! Look like spikes/cones to me!

sorry for any confusion... speaker/sub "spikes" are traditionally made of metal & used for coupling the speaker better on carpeted floors,  they are sharp like a nail. 

svs feet are made of rubber & while they are cone shaped, they are not spikes.  just trying to clarify that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

sorry for any confusion... speaker/sub "spikes" are traditionally made of metal & used for coupling the speaker better on carpeted floors,  they are sharp like a nail. 

svs feet are made of rubber & while they are cone shaped, they are not spikes.  just trying to clarify that.  

Correct.  My SB-2000s came with the rubber feet and I happened to have a set of eight metal spiked feet that were the same diameter and threading so I'm using the spiked feet on carpeted floors with excellent results. 

• Like 2