My (Incomplete) Journey to Vintage Klipsch

bpplaysguitar

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member and I thought since I've already chatted with some of you in my WTB thread, I'd share a brief story of how I got here.

In 2006, just after college, I made a few visits to my local facnypants stereo store, and I got a nice deal on their floor model Martin Logan Montages since they needed to bring in the new model. I went with a Rotel RX-1052. I enjoyed that setup for about 13 years, but I just moved back to my hometown amidst a big career shift, and I'm staying with my best friend for a little while so my stuff has been temporarily stashed away.

I have another friend who is into vintage Klipsch, and he is about to make me spend some money, lol. His main speakers until recently were Fortes, paired with a Marantz 2238. His basement set were KG4s with a Marantz 2238B. A few weeks ago I brought it over my gear, and after lots of comparisons it was clear that both of his '80s Klipsch sets sounded better than my Martin Logans. So I got to selling my MLs, which didn't take long. Also on comparison day I spotted some Choruses on Craigslist. A couple days later he asked if I'd come along to pick them up. So now he has the Choruses, Fortes and KG4s. All sound wonderful in their own ways.

Fast forward a week, and I had convinced my best friend/room mate to let me help her upgrade from her Bose 501 Series Vs. They were powered by a fairly common low-mid level Yamaha receiver, and we didn't change that. Good enough. But I found a great deal on some KG4.2s ($280). I grabbed those for her, brought them to my same friend's house for his seal of approval on the way back, and what do you know? They also sounded awesome. She gave her Boses to her mom, along with another Yamaha I found on Facebook. Everyone wins.

As for me, with the Martin Logans sold, that takes us to my WTB post. I'm looking for CF-4s and I know they're hard to come by, but I likely won't move into my own home for the better part of a year, so I can sit patiently. I'm good with a little road trip too, for the right deal. I'm also open to KLF30s, but it seems to me the CF-4s might be just a little more special. Feel free to add your own thoughts, and enjoy the pictures!

20200502_232623.jpg

20201205_152338.jpg

20201209_112337.jpg

20201215_160017.jpg

Edited by bpplaysguitar
  • Like 6

There are good/great deals that pop up on the Minneapolis craigslist and Facebook marketplace every once in a while.  You do have to be quick, though, as there is at least one Klipsch flipper in the Twin Cities area who is unfortunately also a forum member.  You just have to be patient and check those two resources at least a few times a day, especially if there's a specific model you're searching for.

My best friend has KLF-30s and he lives about an hour away from the Twin Cities.  Unfortunately he and his wife have been separated for some time and the KLFs are with her, I believe, unless she got rid of them.  She always wanted him to go with smaller speakers.  :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Tragic.

You're telling me.  He bought them while he was going through a divorce with his first wife and I stored them at my house for him until everything settled down with that.  Then he finds an almost carbon-copy of his first wife and goes through almost the exact same thing.  He had KLF-30 mains, KLF-C7 center and RP-3 surrounds.  I remember watching one of the Transformers movies at his place and it was quite impressive.  I really hope she hasn't dumped them.

55 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Then he finds an almost carbon-copy of his first wife and goes through almost the exact same thing. 

Slow learner.  I learned from my first wife exactly what I did not want in another.  I might not have been sure of what I wanted, but I damn sure knew what I didn't.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Welcome to the forum. Considering your timeline,  I would suggest that you check-in once a month or so and bump your WTB ad, as well as continue to participate on the forum.  Easiest way to stay on the radar.....

Thanks! And I will. I am also checking a few websites every day.

13 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Dang Man , Tons of speakers , that's quite a nice collection ,  but let me guess , you dont got enough speakers  ,and more are coming ---Cool in my book

Actually I only owned one pair in those pics, and I sold them. So all I have now are some small studio monitors for my computer. Those all belong to a couple friends.

1 minute ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Actually I only owned one pair in those pics, and I sold them. So all I have now are some small studio monitors for my computer. Those all belong to a couple friends.

what's your location ,  Add  it to your Avatar , it can help us to spot deals , and send them to you ----when the alerts show a great deal  you may not want to miss-Stay SAFE

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

what's your location ,  Add  it to your Avatar , it can help us to spot deals , and send them to you ----when the alerts show a great deal  you may not want to miss-Stay SAFE

OP posted their WTB stating they'd be driving from the Minneapolis area. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 5:11 PM, wuzzzer said:

There are good/great deals that pop up on the Minneapolis craigslist and Facebook marketplace every once in a while.  You do have to be quick, though, as there is at least one Klipsch flipper in the Twin Cities area who is unfortunately also a forum member.  You just have to be patient and check those two resources at least a few times a day, especially if there's a specific model you're searching for.

My best friend has KLF-30s and he lives about an hour away from the Twin Cities.  Unfortunately he and his wife have been separated for some time and the KLFs are with her, I believe, unless she got rid of them.  She always wanted him to go with smaller speakers.  :(

That's a bummer. I doubt he gets those speakers back, some people are nasty.