Tube amp recommendation

Jefe

I am new to owning Klipsch speakers, having recently purchased a set of vintage La Scala's, and as such I have never experimented with different combinations of amps driving them. I can say that my initial impression of these speakers was not very good. The speakers were unused for close to 10 yrs and I don't know if the caps needed to recharge, the woofer needed to loosen up, or if my brand new amp needed some time on it, or a combination of all of the above but after a few hours the sound has really blossomed and is just amazing. I am driving the La Scala's with a brand new Tsakiridis Aeolos Ultra amp which uses 4 x KT150 and 4 x 12AT7. I have it in Triode mode and it sounds really good. But now I want to experiment with different amps. I really love the warmth in the midrange of some tube amps and I don't believe the Tsakiridis exhibits much of that. It is pretty neutral, which I know is a normally a good thing. I just want to see if I can find a combination that my ears might enjoy even more. 

Edited by Jefe
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, Jefe said:

I am new to owning Klipsch speakers, having recently purchased a set of vintage La Scala's, and as such I have never experimented with different combinations of amps driving them. I can say that my initial impression of these speakers was not very good. The speakers were unused for close to 10 yrs and I don't know if the caps needed to recharge, the woofer needed to loosen up, or if my brand new amp needed some time on it, or a combination of all of the above but after a few hours the sound has really blossomed and is just amazing. I am driving the La Scala's with a brand new Tsakiridis Aeolos Ultra amp which uses 4 x KT150 and 4 x 12AT7. I have it in Triode mode and it sounds really good. But now I want to experiment with different amps. I really love the warmth in the midrange of some tube amps and I don't believe the Tsakiridis exhibits much of that. It is pretty neutral, which I know is a normally a good thing. I just want to see if I can find a combination that my ears might enjoy even more. 

That's quite the amp. You'd probably do yourself better by getting a good powered subwoofer to help beef up the LS's bottom end.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, MechEngVic said:

That's quite the amp. You'd probably do yourself better by getting a good powered subwoofer to help beef up the LS's bottom end.

Thank you for your reply. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do although I am not really disappointed in the La Scala's bottom end. While they don't go super low, the bass that they do have is very fast and accurate to my ears. I just need to figure out which sub will blend in with them the best. Any suggestions? Accurate music reproduction is my primary focus.

• Like 1