Need help picking integrated amp for RF63s, please.

DnP

Hello, everyone.

We could really use some help picking an integrated amplifier to go with our RF 63’s. It’s impossible to listen to different setups and keyword search results are so broad and contradictory they have been all but useless. What we are looking for in particular is imaging and depth. We mainly listen to classical music and jazz with a hint of everything else thrown in. Our room is about 20x20 with a lot of open space. Can you please offer suggestions for the amp that can make the most of these speakers’ imaging capabilities? Our price range is under 5 grand. We would be grateful for some specific suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance. Happy new year to everyone.

Dave and Pat

Edited by DnP
Clarity

I have experimented with my Yamaha A-S1000 and my RF-63s in a near 5000ft3 room and the combination is wonderful.  Plenty of power, spot on imaging, dynamics, bass drive, you name it.  With your budget, I think the Yamaha A-S2100 or newer A-S2200 would be just about perfect.

Bill

31 minutes ago, DnP said:

Thank you, Bill. Your response is much appreciated. The AS2200 is one of the options we have been looking at online. Happy new year to you, and thank you again.

Dave

My A-S1000 is the lowest tier of the Yamaha all analog integrated amps and it is a beast(48.5 pounds) of a piece of gear.  The A-S2200 is 4 levels higher and 2 generations newer with many more discrete parts on board so I bet the combination would be that much better.

Let us know which direction you go and of course we need photos.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Hi. We have a velodyne sub but don’t usually use it when listening to music. The pics might be a while, as the AS2200 is on backorder at Crutchfield. We like buying from them, as they have given us spectacular customer service for 30 years.

thanks again!

Dave

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DnP said:

The pics might be a while, as the AS2200 is on backorder at Crutchfield. We like buying from them, as they have given us spectacular customer service for 30 years.

Stellar customer service indeed.

17 minutes ago, DnP said:

Hi. We have a velodyne sub but don’t usually use it when listening to music.

I prefer my 63's in plain ole stereo also.  They don't disappoint at all.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Bill, and all.  Since you were kind enough to reply, maybe you can advise us on a CD player to go with the set up and maximize imaging. We bought the Yamaha CDS1000 and on days 3 and 4 of owning it, it started giving us a “no disk”  error on a variety of CDs. Big disappointment. It’s on its way back to Crutchfield. It soured hubby on the model. Have any suggestions? Any thoughts on the Merantz

CD 6007? Have any other suggestions? We have the Yamaha S2200 amp on backorder.

thank you! 

Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DnP said:

Yamaha CDS1000 and on days 3 and 4 of owning it, it started giving us a “no disk”  error on a variety of CDs. Big disappointment

That's a shame.  I bought my CD-S1000 on the used market about 4 years ago and it has been rock solid with no hiccups at all.

Bill

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DnP said:

We were pretty surprised by the CDS1000. It did not appear to have been damaged or used and seemed rugged. 

I would say at 33 pounds.  

Maybe you just got that first pancake and it should have been thrown out.:unsure:

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I wanted to follow-up here and thank everyone again for their advice. To go with our RF 63s, we ended with a Doge 10  tube amp ( A model: the one with the strongest imaging), and it is truly spectacular. After shipping and import fees it was about 2200. This used to be made by the same company but sold under a a German company’s name for around 6,000.00. The CD player we bought is a Rotel CD 11 Tribute model. I cannot overemphasize how fantastic this setup is. My wife and I listened to it last night and couldn’t stop laughing, the imaging is so amazing. Thanks again for taking the time to chip in.

Dave

• Like 1