Add Side Walls to Older K-horns.

JJkizak

I would expect it to allow you to space a small distance from the corner with the ability to rotate/aim the on-axis response toward the listener in setups/rooms that would benefit from that freedom like the AK6 version provides but the frequency response of the system will be affected by the side panel additions also which the AK6 crossover addresses and you might find the need/ability to compensate for the enclosed back performance changes to your 1965 model likewise.  

miketn

• Like 1

Lemme ask this. What difference does it make whether it is backed to a wall or wood? Mine are cornered in traditional fashion. Yet ‘all’ the bass does not get reflected. I can hear bass thumping through the adjoining walls. If bass reflection is the goal why not back them with something heavier like rock or a very dense and thick piece of wood? Has anyone assessed bass reflection from the materials perspective? In other words if I had my corners covered in sheet slate where the khorns set would that provide any benefit? 

8 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Lemme ask this. What difference does it make whether it is backed to a wall or wood? Mine are cornered in traditional fashion. Yet ‘all’ the bass does not get reflected. I can hear bass thumping through the adjoining walls. If bass reflection is the goal why not back them with something heavier like rock or a very dense and thick piece of wood? Has anyone assessed bass reflection from the materials perspective? In other words if I had my corners covered in sheet slate where the khorns set would that provide any benefit? 

I think you are confusing several concepts: reflection, horn loading, impedance transformation etc.

All the wall, or wood back, needs to do is provide a reasonably rigid boundary so the column of air has higher overall pressure at the throat end and lower at the mouth end (IOW,  the column's cross-sectional area needs to expand as it gets further from the throat). Don't bother with fancy materials.

27 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I think you are confusing several concepts: reflection, horn loading, impedance transformation etc.

All the wall, or wood back, needs to do is provide a reasonably rigid boundary so the column of air has higher overall pressure at the throat end and lower at the mouth end (IOW,  the column's cross-sectional area needs to expand as it gets further from the throat). Don't bother with fancy materials.

Well I am thinking bass absorption versus reflection.......   the audible component. We know that sound can be dampened by material alone so I’d presume less absorption would translate into more reflection?  Would this result in a ‘tighter’ bass response?  Isn’t this a similar (if opposite) treatment consideration to dampening a room with bass traps?