what are the smelliest foods?

juniper

Someone sent me a bunch of white and black fresh truffles, they smell so bad, i cant wrap my mind around it.... like what i think rotting oysters would smell like. One time in H S someone put Limburger on the hot registers, they closed the school as they should have..... what have you experienced? 

• Haha 1

Yessiree!

Some cheeses are gross and obscenely priced!

I always ask to smell the shrimp before they steam it at the store for me. Had one twit decline once, so I turned and walked away without another word. Nope, nada, nein, nyet!

*One smell made me and my roomie leave town for the weekend. our downstairs neighbor started cooking chitlins on their back porch... we had the windows open.. and took an impromptu road trip!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Haha 1

I went to a friends house one day. He had an old mangy looking dog as a pet at the time. He was cooking something on the grille and I remember thinking man, that dog stinks to high heaven. Then he told me he was grilling Limburger cheese sandwiches and was forbidden to do it in the house.

Another friend married a Filipino lady. She made a sauce that she called bagoong (no doubt spelled wrong) and my friend called it Dirty Socks and she was forbidden to cook it inside.

Went to a nearby Amish farm a year ago and they were butchering hogs. Between hog guts and boiling hog skin it was a smell that had kind of turned me off pork since then. Ham and Bacon are OK but just a cut of pork reminds me to much of the hog stink.

43 minutes ago, DnP said:

I would say kimchee is the smelliest food. If I have heated it up in the microwave, when my husband gets home from work I will hear him swearing in the doorway before I see him. 

Second post is about the stinkiest food.  Bravo, you will fit right in here😁

My wife likes her dried salted herring.  Just horrible smelling.  She also cooks it on a small grill outside.  She used to get mad at me until she talked to her friends and learned that each of them has a grill that their husbands bough so that the wretched fish can be cooked outside.  I love her and have to endure this. 

A little secret, garlic comes in plastic jars with nice tight lids.  Clean these and save them.  You can store really stinky fish in these and the smell will not get into the fridge. 

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Shrimp or even just the peelings gone bad which takes less then 24 hours.

Oh man,I'm a truck driver and used to do a lot of landfill work taking trash from the transfer stations in 53' containers and possum belly tipper trailers to the landfills.

You can imagine some of those loads were pretty nasty so I've been around some bad smells,some of the containers came into the docks on barges and sat in the hot summer sun for days before getting loaded on trucks for the landfill,we'd back them on the tipper open the doors and about puke.:D

As bad as those were there was this one guy that came in from the coast with a trailer load of shrimp waste from the cannery down at the mouth of the Columbia river in Astoria,his loads were the worst far and away,no one wanted to get stuck in line waiting behind him.😷 Worst smell ever! 

8.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, y2keglide said:

As bad as those were there was this one guy that came in from the coast with a trailer load of shrimp waste from the cannery down at the mouth of the Columbia river in Astoria,his loads were the worst far and away,no one wanted to get stuck in line waiting behind him.😷 Worst smell ever! 

I used to have to drive past the starkist plant in the port of Los Angeles ... wow, that smell was potent a block away. talked a guy that worked there and he said the smell gets into your clothes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I used to have to drive past the starkist plant in the port of Los Angeles ... wow, that smell was potent a block away. talked a guy that worked there and he said the smell gets into your clothes. 

Any fish cannery worker will tell you that and it's true.

• Like 1