DAC Reccomendations

Opus

My Schiit Modi 2 DAC died on Christmas day.  I have used it for several years, and have been pleased with it. I think it would be hard to find a better DAC for what I paid for the Modi ($99).  But now I'm in the market for a replacement.  I'm looking at the Schiit Modi Multbit ($250). I'm interested in thoughts, comments, and recommendations regarding that or other DACs.  I want to keep the cost below $300. 

• Like 1

I have a multibit running off an eitr (from before the unison days...and the mimby still lacks unison to this day) and could tell the difference in a non blind test. Blind? Probably not.  I'd go either modi 3+ or the monoprice liquid space dac for the price (I've been shopping as my modi 2 bricked out a few months ago).

32 minutes ago, BadChile said:

I have a multibit running off an eitr (from before the unison days...and the mimby still lacks unison to this day) and could tell the difference in a non blind test. Blind? Probably not.  I'd go either modi 3+ or the monoprice liquid space dac for the price (I've been shopping as my modi 2 bricked out a few months ago).

Thanks, it's nice to hear from someone who has experience with both the multibit and the modi 2.   I'm leaning towards the Modi 3+.

13 hours ago, whell said:

Good feedback on the net regarding the Schiit Modius with the AK4493 chip.  

There are several good reviews of the Modius and the Modi3+.  From what I have read, the Modius and the Modi3+ sound similar.  The biggest difference seems to be the balanced output the Modius has.  I don't need the balanced output, so I"m still leaning towards the Modi3+.

32 minutes ago, Opus said:

There are several good reviews of the Modius and the Modi3+.  From what I have read, the Modius and the Modi3+ sound similar.  The biggest difference seems to be the balanced output the Modius has.  I don't need the balanced output, so I"m still leaning towards the Modi3+.

I have both the Modi 3 and the Modius, both great sounding dacs. Save your self a c-note and get the Modi 3+.

• Like 1