2 Amps 1 Pair of Speakers Switch Recommendation

tidmack

Guys, I'm in a situation where I'd like to switch between a solid state and tube amp, with one pair of speakers. Some days, I just want to use the tube amp. Here is the switch I see recommended most:

https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Speakers-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0796KGVXT#customerReviews

With the Specialty AV switch, how do I split my preamp outputs? Can I just Y the RCA jacks and run a set to each amp? Is this "legal" to do?

I'm open to suggestions for a different/better product, or a thumbs up for this unit. Basically, I want to make sure I don't ruin my amps. I've had my Mac 2105 for over 20 years now and its sentimental value far outweighs its cost.  Thanks for the insight.

Jeff

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Personally, I would be very wary of a switch providing a load to my powered on tube amp when not selected......just sayin'.....

Thanks for the input, Jim. I was thinking it would be beneficial to have a load on the amp, as it's not good for a tube amp to not see a load? I saw an old thread where you purchased an SP-1 from Mapletree Audio Design. Do you recall what you paid? ...wait, I was able to see a price list. Looks like $220. Seems reasonable if well built.

41 minutes ago, tidmack said:

I looked this unit up and it didn't seem to have any actual switches on it, to switch from one amp to another. Is there a 2nd piece required?

Yes, it runs off a 12v trigger. One channel has priority. Turn on an AVR with a 12v trigger, activates switch, and only that amps signal goes to your speakers. Turn it off, and the previous amp's signal goes to speakers.

• Like 1

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Yes, it runs off a 12v trigger. One channel has priority. Turn on an AVR with a 12v trigger, activates switch, and only that amps signal goes to your speakers. Turn it off, and the previous amp's signal goes to speakers.

10-4, thank you for explaining. I've been exploring all sorts of options this afternoon. I was familiar with speaker switches, but didn't know such a thing existed for amps, preamps, and sources. Really cool stuff out there...

Just now, tidmack said:

10-4, thank you for explaining. I've been exploring all sorts of options this afternoon. I was familiar with speaker switches, but didn't know such a thing existed for amps, preamps, and sources. Really cool stuff out there...

Yea, this isn't the best solution, but it does work well. I have a hi powered ss amp and liked the idea that this will handle the power.

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Yea, this isn't the best solution, but it does work well. I have a hi powered ss amp and liked the idea that this will handle the power.

Right now, I think I'm going to reach out to the company that Jim used up in Canada. It sounds like they can customize these switches to your needs. For me, the ability to test an incoming piece of equipment more easily would make the investment into a custom switch totally worth it.

1 hour ago, tidmack said:

Thanks for the input, Jim. I was thinking it would be beneficial to have a load on the amp, as it's not good for a tube amp to not see a load? I saw an old thread where you purchased an SP-1 from Mapletree Audio Design. Do you recall what you paid? ...wait, I was able to see a price list. Looks like $220. Seems reasonable if well built.

I will send you a PM just a bit later.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I gather that you are not going to  have the two amps powered on at the same time.  Just one or the other depending on mood, yes?   

My understanding is many of the products allow for multiple amps to be powered on at the same time.

1 minute ago, Shiva said:

That is true, just curious on how you plan to use it.    

I'd likely just run one amp...there are days I just feel like a different sound, lol. This would be a great way to test incoming pieces of equipment, though, without having a dedicated 2nd system.