Leaving the Forum

Mallette

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

After well over 22000 posts, (5k more of which of which were deleted by the PC  Police on orders of legal) I find it time to bow out. KGI is no  more and PWK would turn over in his grave at the attitudes of the Forum members. I loved it all and made so many great friends here. I'll still go to Forum gatherings but not Klipsch sponsored. I'm for resuming the Forum sponsored Pilgrimages and would be happy to help given I have experience with them. I am NOT really mad at anyone, but certainly upset with many of my old friends who blow off newbie questions and run off many members. Recently I posted in the 2 Channel Forum that someone needed to post how to connect Heritage speakers for a two channel system and it was roundly scoffed at by many folks I consider friends. They said "That's the dealers job" and "If they can't do that they shouldn't have Heritage" etc. That did it. When we forget PWK and how we all started out that's just too much. Also, it has just not been the same since KGI legal shut down the BS Forum. I'd fought for its restoration after being shut down by the actions of an idiot and won. Then another idiot came along and that was it. I lost thousands of posts I'd intended to save and put in a book dedicated to PWK and free speech. 

Anyway, you guys carry on. I'll lurk from time to time and look forward to seeing you at gatherings. I know PWK would understand my actions and hope my old friends will as well. 

Dave

-30-

And if I ever said anything to tee you off, sorry about that.

Will be watching for your posts.

Thanks!

• Like 2

PWK would turn over in his grave at the attitudes of the Forum members

I know what you mean. I recommended this forum to someone once and he joined. he posted one question and got zero answers; but got a lecture for his word usage. the guy never returned to the forum. I'm all for busting a friend's chops once in a while; but you should create a relationship first. bashing a new person right out of the gate is pretty lame. 

take care Dave. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I've had the same experience.  Except for not being able to argue politics in a private section, I don't see that much has really changed. 

That was the best part of the forum! We did it for 15 years and even threw in the relevance of the Dead Sea Scrolls. :o

I think we changed.  There are a lot of people who've moved on.  It takes some of us longer than others.

We've moved on from only talking audio, but I for one think those discussions were gold from a pure communications among friends on important/relevant topics. That's my take over a nice Stella Midnight Lager listening to Talking Heads on my Klipsch Home Theater listed below.  :) 

Happy New Year,  Jeff!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mallette said:

@Zen Traveler, Gilbert, and all. If you guys will return to Heritage BS I'll make EVERYONE an Admin and you can excommunicate each other...

Dave

I left when it became personal attacks that weren't allowed in the BS section. Imo, the reason these discussions become uncomfortable is when the name calling begins. I will gladly join a discussion when that is discouraged. 

Link I posted works fine and you should not have to search. Just checked it.

Dave

That's probably because it's your group and you're a member of the group.  It still doesn't work for me. 

• Like 1

That's probably because it's your group and you're a member of the group.  It still doesn't work for me. 

Whatever the reason, I have yet to receive an invite from FB, so [emoji2369]
Maybe just a case of technology and opinions beyond one’s willingness to adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave,

I agree that newbies are too frequently ignored, insulted, bullied, or otherwise made to feel unwelcome.  I have also noticed a too frequently occurring phenomenon where newbies start with an attitude.  Perhaps they expect the kind of sarcastic passive aggressive treatment they are used to experiencing on other social media platforms. Name calling and ad hominem insults are inappropriate whether newbies or veterans.

Civility should always be the rule.  Stupidity and rudeness are best ignored.

Steve @BigStewMan had a valid point regarding good natured kidding of those with whom one has a history of mutual respect.  Unfortunately, newbies don’t know that Chuck @Tarheel has earned a right to make jokes about Carl’s @CECAA850 follically challenged dome.  It’s easy for newbies to get wrong ideas about this forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost 20 years on here, my friend. That's a lifetime in a family! Treat everybody nice... Just like computers, you don't know enough about them to know what questions to ask. Audio is the same. 

I'll try and stay in touch, Dave. Some things aren't working out like I thought they would.

Peace

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I know what you mean. I recommended this forum to someone once and he joined. he posted one question and got zero answers; but got a lecture for his word usage. the guy never returned to the forum. I'm all for busting a friend's chops once in a while; but you should create a relationship first. bashing a new person right out of the gate is pretty lame. 

take care Dave. 

I was hard headed and stayed here, that was 8 years ago! A newbie has to find a spot where he can join in on a conversation. And not everyone, even moderators, will be welcoming to all new members. I felt a condescending attitude when I joined from a couple moderators, and even tried multiple times to interact with a certain mod, but never felt like they showed any interest whatsoever....no big deal. But I did think to myself...."you're a moderator"!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I completely understand what Dave is saying and have felt the same way many times.

I joined 15 or 16 years ago and received a ton of help. But the last few years, that’s not so.

I have left many times, . One time I lost my handle on here.

Good luck and hope to see you back on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dave, hate to see you leave.

I joined back in 09, lots have changed and lots have left since then. Some good, some bad. I hope one day I get to meet more members and enjoy their knowledge.

Take care

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use the Heritage BS link I provided. I checked and, in fact, the page is private and hidden so Baron and Randy are correct. You have to use the link to get there. If you have an issue just send a friend request to me at Mallette  on FB and I'll get you in. Looking forward to free  speech among friends again! 

Dave

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I was hard headed and stayed here, that was 8 years ago! A newbie has to find a spot where he can join in on a conversation. And not everyone, even moderators, will be welcoming to all new members. I felt a condescending attitude when I joined from a couple moderators, and even tried multiple times to interact with a certain mod, but never felt like they showed any interest whatsoever....no big deal. But I did think to myself...."you're a moderator"!

this place certainly is no different than other social media platforms. I've tried to join in many conversations just to have those in the clique talk around me and I've seen others ignored ... as if some are just giving the rest of us the privilege of watching them talk to their friends.  we're not going to be liked or welcomed by all. I was fortunate and found a few members at first that would engage with me so I stuck around -- some of them left the forum years ago, a few have died. this forum isn't magic, it doesn't change personalities -- we are who we are; some like us, some don't, some don't care one way or the other. 

• Like 4

BTW, the treatment of newbies that irritates me is NOT the ribbing, even snarky and cranky ribbing. It's the arrogance and failing to serve them. There is no such thing as a stupid question about audio (other than who makes the best speakers) and all should be addressed...even with snark! The question I suggested was a common one concerning hooking up K'horns for use as a two channel system is a good example. It is NOT easy for a newbie. If someone will address it I will pin it and you will be famous.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1