50 years ago was 1971

rplace

I was just out of high school and had yet to begin college, had more questions than answers at the time. Lots of great music and music experiences back then. Lived in west Los Angeles and am/fm tended to overplay certain artists/songs. Got real tired of Elton John. But IMHO it was nearing the end of 15 years of great music with the disco genre defining the nail in that particular coffin. Loads of memories mostly good and some not-so-good. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DizRotus said:

“62) When Linda Ronstadt played Disneyland in spring 1971 (with two members of the Eagles in her backing band) the contract stipulated she had to wear a bra.”

Walt wouldn’t let her have a mustache either.  Did Minnie wear a bra?  What’s with Donald and no pants?  Talk about sexism?

I know a Disney that would make no such demands.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

I was 9 years old back in 71...4th grade at that time...Fast forward to the 7th grade...Man, the music I was just learning to experience...Amongst other things 😉

I was 7. The early 70s were a fantastic time to grow up. My favorite music ever was music from late 60s to early 80s, even today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

My favorite music ever was music from late 60s to early 80s, even today

Mine too...My sister would take me to a local department store so I could purchase 45's... Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song played a big influence in my musical tastes

Edit to include...

This is where I'm at......

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1Pm2HHcQo&list=RDAMVM0t1Pm2HHcQo

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/07/943255476/black-pumas-tiny-desk-home-concert

• Like 2

Same age as me. 

I got kicked off the track team for long hair.   I think it touched my collar. Frig hippies !!!!

They couldn't kick me out of school, I skipped half my sophomore year.  Never went anywhere. Just didn't get on the bus.There was a cafe with a couple pinball machines and a pool table..1/2 block from the bus stop... Pinball was cheap entertainment........ it gave free games.   and we mastered it

Once in a while, we would make it to school and say eff this and dig out.

• Haha 1

I was eight years old when BOTH of my parents died. They were 35 and 33 years old. For a while lived with my Aunt and my cousin was a hippie. We lived in the SF Bay Area. My first FAVORITE song (believe it or not Brian @oldtimer) was The Stones Hey You Get Off of My Cloud. My biggest rock memory was tagging only with my older brother and his friend to the local drive in theater.  They were listening to YES Close to the Edge -- I was hooked.    Then one day, a windy Autumn day, I'm walking down the street listening to Queen's Killer Queen -- I was hooked. 

I had the honor of meeting three of my top four favorite musicians ... Brian May, Steve Howe, and Rick Wakeman.  Sadly, never met Glen Campbell.  After Glen's death, his close friend Alice Cooper said in an interview that Eddie Van Halen had once asked if he could get a guitar lesson from Glen Campbell. I always dug listening to Glen and when I became a guitarist my respect for that dude skyrocketed. He could flat out play! Another guy that was phenomenal was Roy Clark. 

• Like 1

By '71 I was out of the USN, had seen the Moody Blues, toured with a brother/sister duo,  worked on an album with them at the RCA studios in Chicago, where I met Alice Cooper in the hallway. He was nice, wish I had talked with him more. Toured through the South and had a lot of fun...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I always dug listening to Glen and when I became a guitarist my respect for that dude skyrocketed. He could flat out play!

There's an awesome interview on YT with Alice Cooper talking about Glen after he passed away. Gained some respect for AC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

There's an awesome interview on YT with Alice Cooper talking about Glen after he passed away. Gained some respect for AC.

Hi Bruce.  Alice is a born again Christian and isn't ashamed of it. He actually has taught Sunday school at his church. 

He's been married for well over 40 years I believe. One of his quotes that I love is when he said that many of his songs have the message "there is good and evil ... don't choose evil."

The macabre is just an act ... he intentionally tried to be the villain of rock music. You have a man that does his shows then listens to Charles Stanley and R. C. Sproul. I love the man. 

• Like 1

I knew he was a Christian, but had had never heard him in an interview. He just sounded very articulate, and compassionate. As I said, great interview (except the audio is mostly in left channel...would help to wear headphones)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

I knew he was a Christian, but had had never heard him in an interview. He just sounded very articulate, and compassionate. As I said, great interview (except the audio is mostly in left channel...would help to wear headphones)

I've never been to any of his shows; but my brother has and sound it was LOUD.  One of the opening acts was a band called Faster Pussycat and he said they were painfully loud. I knew that my hearing loss was serious when I went to a Roger Waters concert at the Hollywood Bowl.  After the show, I was talking to a person that I went with and I said that I was surprised that the sound wasn't louder.  He said, "it WAS loud."