New Here and New to Tubes.

Pezcore67

Hello everyone, just looking for a little bit of information from people with more experienced than my self. The current system I have now is a Marantz 2270 with a pair Klipsch Forte III, I am looking for a little bit of a warmer sound so I decided I was going to get a tube power amp. I plan on utilizing the pre-outs on the Marantz and running it that way. I am really looking to make this purchase once considering it is a pretty big one. I've been researching amps pretty hardcore and was leaning toward a VTA St70 or ST120 but I have also been looking at Primaluna, McIntosh and some others. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pezcore67 said:

Hello everyone, just looking for a little bit of information from people with more experienced than my self. The current system I have now is a Marantz 2270 with a pair Klipsch Forte III, I am looking for a little bit of a warmer sound so I decided I was going to get a tube power amp. I plan on utilizing the pre-outs on the Marantz and running it that way. I am really looking to make this purchase once considering it is a pretty big one. I've been researching amps pretty hardcore and was leaning toward a VTA St70 or ST120 but I have also been looking at Primaluna, McIntosh and some others. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the Forum. 

You will get a lot of  great input here.

It is very difficult to make a selection based on what someone else likes as there is no way to correlate what you hear with what the other person hears.  Build quality and reliability are a different matter.  Try to make your purchase from a dealer who offers a return policy so you don’t risk getting stuck with something you are dissatisfied with.  Companies like Decware are worth investigating.

Maynard

3 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

It is very difficult to make a selection based on what someone else likes as there is no way to correlate what you hear with what the other person hears.  Build quality and reliability are a different matter.  Try to make your purchase from a dealer who offers a return policy so you don’t risk getting stuck with something you are dissatisfied with.  Companies like Decware are worth investigating.

Maynard

I agree this is true, but I'm just trying to get a little feedback from people who have experience with tube amps. I did check out Decware, their amps look really nice. I'm finding that my Forte IIIs are a little bright for my taste with my solid state receiver the way it is right now. I've read in a lot of places that those speakers are really complimented by a tube amp. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of places in my area that I can go listen to different amps in person. 

I have a few different tube amps, one of which is a Latino ST-120. If you use your solid state Marantz pre section to drive the tube amp, I doubt you will hear much difference. I found that to get the warm tube sound everyone seems to talk about, the only way to go is tube pre and amp. I think a single ended tube amp sounds better than a push-pull, or ultralinear, like the ST-120.  Everybodys system sounds differently, these are just my observations.

• Like 1

I agree with the Tube Pre and Tube Power. That really changed things for my setup. You can alo check out Erhard Audio. I got my Tube pre and Tube phono from him and am happy with them. Holger has also been very nice to work with as well as responsive whenever I have a question. 

• Like 2

Welcome!

I am relatively new too and this site is great.

Still researching my first tube amp purchase and kind of waiting for COVID to go on it's way.

I was really looking hard at the McIntosh MA252 integrated and then for some reason, the more I read, the more I really think PrimaLuna is a good choice and put it on the list along with one other.

Not sure if you know about Unison Research but they supposedly make very nice equipment and it is put together in Italy. The Triode 25 is one I am really thinking hard about getting.

That or the PL EVO 300/400.

Good Luck!

Edited by JeffLebowski
Clarity

20 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I have a few different tube amps, one of which is a Latino ST-120. If you use your solid state Marantz pre section to drive the tube amp, I doubt you will hear much difference. I found that to get the warm tube sound everyone seems to talk about, the only way to go is tube pre and amp. I think a single ended tube amp sounds better than a push-pull, or ultralinear, like the ST-120.  Everybodys system sounds differently, these are just my observations.

This is what I'm affraid of because I like my Marantz a lot but I really want a warmer sound. I use the tuner on the Marantz so I figured using the pre-outs to a tube power amp might do the trick. I also don't think I can do power amp and pre amp in one shot right now, so I guess I'll see how it goes. I was looking hard at the Latino St70 or ST120, little more in my price range than the something like a EVO 400 Primaluna. 

29 minutes ago, nikon f said:

If you know how to solder take a look at the Bottlehead kits. They feature almost moron proof assembly instructions, great forum and they sound great.

I do know how to solder a bit so building a kit might be an option for me. 

8 minutes ago, JeffLebowski said:

Welcome!

Still researching my first tube amp purchase and kind of waiting for COVID to go on it's way.

I was really looking hard at the McIntosh MA252 integrated and then for some reason, the more I read, the more I really think PrimaLuna is a good choice and put it on the list along with one other.

Not sure if you know about Unison Research but they supposedly make very nice equipment and it is put together in Italy. The Triode 25 is one I am really thinking hard about getting.

Good Luck!

Awesome, there are so many amps out there to check out that I don't know where to settle. McIntosh looks great but they are pretty expensive, so are the Primalunas. 

Yeah, the price is a big thing to count into the equation obviously.

If I were to buy a PL, it would be the EVO 400 Integrated.

If Unison Research, it would be the Triode 25. It is about $2000 cheaper than the EVO 400 and some people claim it is more musical, tubey, etc.

So hard to decide isn't it.

Anyways,

Again, all the best with it.

Details about your listening situation may yield other recommendations such as using an integrated amp (no preamp functions needed) and pulling your source signal from the record jacks of the Marantz.  The latter could then be used only for tuner and phono service while high level sources could go directly into the amp.  Depending on the room size and listening levels, less powerful amps may be suitable.  SETs would do a great job of providing the “warmth” you are looking for.

Maynard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Details about your listening situation may yield other recommendations such as using an integrated amp (no preamp functions needed) and pulling your source signal from the record jacks of the Marantz.  The latter could then be used only for tuner and phono service while high level sources could go directly into the amp.  Depending on the room size and listening levels, less powerful amps may be suitable.  SETs would do a great job of providing the “warmth” you are looking for.

Maynard

The current listening room is a small living room. My house is small so I use my system to listen to music in the whole downstairs of my house. One concern of mine is I would like to make sure I buy an amp powerful enough when I move to a larger place I do not need to upgrade. Using the record jack on the Marantz, is it still controlled by the volume knob and tone settings? 

16 hours ago, JeffLebowski said:

Welcome!

Good Luck!

Hi Jeff - I had the McIntosh ma252 and it was beautiful, very well made and sounded very good. First tube amp I ever heard was at Upscale Audio and it was the Primaluna evo 400. I became obsessed with the evo and traded in my McIntosh the following week. That was a year ago and I am now tube rolling and enjoying every minute listening to music thru the PL. For me personally it was more than worth the price of admission. Good luck in your search

4A192ABE-37BE-4154-A30A-D59FA0FBF785.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pezcore67 said:

The current listening room is a small living room. My house is small so I use my system to listen to music in the whole downstairs of my house. One concern of mine is I would like to make sure I buy an amp powerful enough when I move to a larger place I do not need to upgrade. Using the record jack on the Marantz, is it still controlled by the volume knob and tone settings? 

All the front panel selections other than the source selector are usually bypassed at the record jacks.  

Going for higher power seems like the best choice given the concern about future needs.  In my experience using a receiver as a true preamp usually detracts from the real glory of tube sound.  However that would be for you to decide.  Another option to investigate is a professionally restored vintage tube receiver.  They are out there if you look around a bit.  Should you go that route, post what you found before buying it.  Lastly, if the tuner section of the Marantz is only used for background purposes, an integrated amp with a cheap separate tuner may be ideal.

Lots for you to consider!

Maynard

19 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

All the front panel selections other than the source selector are usually bypassed at the record jacks.  

Going for higher power seems like the best choice given the concern about future needs.  In my experience using a receiver as a true preamp usually detracts from the real glory of tube sound.  However that would be for you to decide.  Another option to investigate is a professionally restored vintage tube receiver.  They are out there if you look around a bit.  Should you go that route, post what you found before buying it.  Lastly, if the tuner section of the Marantz is only used for background purposes, an integrated amp with a cheap separate tuner may be ideal.

Lots for you to consider!

Maynard

I do things a bit piece meal to keep from spend a ton of money in one shot, so running an amp through the Marantz is a try it out to see and upgrade later type of thing. I just want to find an amp that I will be good with long term and I can always add a preamp later. I take if I ran of the record on Marantz I would need to add a equalizer of some sort between there and the power amp. My plan was to use the pre outs on the Marantz to still use the front panel on the receiver.

Welcome to the Forum Pez!

Buying gear and up-grading your system is much like feeding an elephant.  Small bites.

I've had my Linn table for 40 yeas and jumped into La Scala's.  Wanted a warmer sound with tubes and decided to go with an entry-level Prima Luna Integrated from Upscale Audio.  Gave the bottom of the food chain a shot 4 years ago.  This spring I'm goin to the top of the PrimaLuna food chain!  Amazing sound and you can slam friends into the wall if you want to with just a twist of the volume.  It's DEAD quiet and sonically amazing!.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  It's a working man's McIntosh.

Do your research but many in here have jumped over to PrimaLuna.  Paired w/Klipsch it's a match made in heaven for ME.  Your ears.  I hope you find what YOU'RE looking for.

• Like 2