Forte II w/ Marantz 2015 possible upgrade(s)

The Professor

Hello,

Still semi newish to this forum!

I'm moving into a new place, and naturally feel the urge to upgrade my system. I currently have a pair of Forte IIs with a Marantz 2015 (the baby).

Am curious if you'd consider the 2230 or 1060 an upgrade / would there be a logical step up (receiver wise, i love my speakers too much!) from where im at?

Lastly any recommendations on DACs, I listen mostly to records, but I was looking to upgrade my digital audio too and saw someone suggest the schiit modi

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Professor said:

Thanks, I saw you posted one for sale about a year ago in these forums that looked great, do you have any leads on one? I see them for sale on ebay regularly but have had some less than pleasant experiences buying home audio equipment through them..

I know what you mean, I've had both bad and good experiences through the bay....don't have any leads on a 1060 right now, but will keep on the lookout.  You might also consider a slightly larger Marantz such as a 2252B or a Pioneer SX-850 or SX-950, depending on your budget.  From a DAC perspective, the Schiit products present some great value all the way through their line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I know what you mean, I've had both bad and good experiences through the bay....don't have any leads on a 1060 right now, but will keep on the lookout.  You might also consider a slightly larger Marantz such as a 2252B or a Pioneer SX-850 or SX-950, depending on your budget.  From a DAC perspective, the Schiit products present some great value all the way through their line.

Thanks, appreciate it! I really like how simple the 1060 looks.

The DAC stuff confuses me but have been thinking about it for a while, I get the concept but trying to figure out how to listen to / playback digital not having to control it through my computer...feel like buying an ipod touch might work, but then you need a dock, whatever stupid dongle, a cable from that to the DAC plus whatever audioquest (or similar level) cables out of there, and I'm not even sure how much better itll sound...

I was looking at a Marantz 8000 surround receiver the other day

15 years old ask was $200

Superb built in DAC and performance measurements, 100Wpc

I like to use the older surrounds as Stereos with built in DAC etc

Some of these have superb tuners

You would have to have a phono pre amp

https://www.cnet.com/products/marantz-sr8000/

I started with the Forte IIs & a Marantz 1152DC. A wonderful match! I still have the Marantz but went with tubes a while back for the Fortes. That would be the Dynaco ST-70 amp & PAS 3 pre. The Fortes sound even better (IMO) with tubes!

Still using a KECES DA-151 as a DAC. I'm sure there are better but it is very musical, again, IMO.

Frank

• Like 1