New hifi rack

AndreG.

IMG_20210102_151400.thumb.jpg.821587e49d353529729f740b30e448dd.jpg

As can be clearly seen, the need to do something became over due. The Ikea rack takes up way too much space and, obviously, can´t cope with the 130lbs pf CRT-TV. The positioning of my center is also less than optimum.

So i surfed the net a bit and found a solution for DIY that i can pull through, although my skills and tools are limited. The main components will be multiplex wood and threaded rods.

I hope to come out with a rack that will be both cheaper and more durable than the ones you can buy.

IMG_20210102_151429.thumb.jpg.6d03b410f57047b4358f70639588953f.jpg

These are two of four plates i plan to use. Holes are already drilled and the left received the first coat of oil. Plates are birch and approx. 110cm/ 43" x 40cm/ 16", the uppermost is 3cm/ 1,2" thick, the others are 2cm/ 0,79". Connecting rods will be M16/ 5/8".

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

The Best racks , and oddly  the most expensive  are made with thick  BB wood  ,    check this one , there are no posts at the rear of the rack --  beautiful 30bf41edeb346cc2cea3caace933390b.jpg

There is a single center post in the rear you can catch a small bit of it in between the shelves, it looks like the drapes but I am pretty sure its the BB stacked like the front legs.  Cool shelf though.  I like my Mapleshade Samson its pretty similar to what you are building

Joe

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

That looks very good, but in my case i couldn´t fit my center. But it´s an excellent example of what you can do with multiplex boards. Thanks!

I like your rack better than the 3 Square Audio pile of plywood blocks, which, although interesting, is not my cup of tea.  I posted the photo only to confirm that it does indeed have a rear support.

Please post photos of your completed project.

Moinsens André  neujahr-smilie-08.gif

I´m curious to see how you gonna do it , nice DIY project . DIY is challanging and makes fun, much better than goinig into a shop , putting the $$$$$ on the table and carry the stuff back home . I built my two racks in DIY as well, because I didn´t found what met my demands and sizes to fit in my gear. Will make some pictures soon, maybe some insparation for you , who knows ....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I didn´t found what met my demands and sizes to fit in my gear

Yep, found nothing that will fit my stuff the way i want it to... Bolts and screws should arrive this week. I´look forward to see how everything comes together.

If it does the way i think it could, it will be the blueprint for new shelves for all my CDs and DVDs. Potentially i could use space that was dead until now and spread my speakers a little more across their space.

• Like 2

The design draft I have developed myself.
It is a combination of granite slabs, round granite plinths, steel tubes and solid aluminum spikes. The granite slabs and granite plinths, I had a stonemason make them for me. The steel tubes (actually used as table columns) I had bought at the constrution market and cut the neede lenght myself. I cut the threaded  rods for the steel tubes myself and filled the steel tubes with little lead balls. So I could integrate my gear indivduell and fits accurate. The Screen is  attached to the wall with a wall bracket

1422921512_Rackkleiner.thumb.jpg.5752e6408848dbea90ff4e8d7d50be66.jpg

Left and right of the screen are two high racks. One for the R2R the other for the TT. These are also on granite plates which are placed on 40 cm long steel tubes anchored in the walls. In addition, these were secured by a vertical steel tube to the floor This makes the entire construction safer.

9029Dkleiner4.jpg.a1efc197ef41903e346e34190a615f81.jpg

rack.thumb.jpg.548b430ee055e0e45cc8be836a42eb90.jpg

• Like 4

Granite is a beautiful stone and looks great when used in racks and shelves... alas, for me, the size and thickness i need, it just too expensive for me. But who knows, if not now, maybe later.

That TEAC component on the right, is that a DAT-recorder?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Granite is a beautiful stone and looks great when used in racks and shelves... alas, for me, the size and thickness i need, it just too expensive for me. But who knows, if not now, maybe later.

Yeah indeed , the whole rack investment wasn´t really cheap   LOL . No the Teac VS 6030 is a tapedeck.  Still using it sometimes . Got approx. 500 tapes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 7:09 AM, MicroMara said:
On 1/4/2021 at 6:59 AM, AndreG. said:

Yeah indeed , the whole rack investment wasn´t really cheap   LOL . No the Teac VS 6030 is a tapedeck.  Still using it sometimes . Got approx. 500 tapes.

I have a Tascam D30 DAT recorder in my rack... It is a wonderful piece of equipment. It sits below the Alesis 8 track digital recorder.

Duke_rack.jpg

• Like 1