Capacitor Rabbit Hole. Just How Do You Measure?

Dave A

24 minutes ago, Wirrunna said:

Deang that is a bit harsh, they give your Jupiter beeswax caps a good write up!

Wondering if the cap tester bought all those or talked a bunch of people into giving him some?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Wondering if the cap tester bought all those or talked a bunch of people into giving him some?

First just who is the guy and what qualifications does he have. Obviously he thinks he has golden ears. I frankly think the site is rubbish. Much like someone saying they can hear a difference in sound of a 1/4" of wire. On the internet you have to take claims with a grain of salt. My good sense tells me no one can tell the difference is sound between that many capacitors. After just 15 minutes it is hard to compare any audio gear being that sound has a very short memory of detail. For an accurate test all the caps would have to be hooked up switches and A/B'd against each other and done multiple times. I am sure PWK would get his button out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

First just who is the guy and what qualifications does he have. Obviously he thinks he has golden ears. I frankly think the site is rubbish. Much like someone saying they can hear a difference in sound of a 1/4" of wire. On the internet you have to take claims with a grain of salt. My good sense tells me no one can tell the difference is sound between that many capacitors. After just 15 minutes it is hard to compare any audio gear being that sound has a very short memory of detail. For an accurate test all the caps would have to be hooked up switches and A/B'd against each other and done multiple times. I am sure PWK would get his button out.

He reminds me of a guy on Audiogon who reviews amps. Has a thread that has lasted forever and covers I figure a million dollars worth of gear and people think it's real.

• Like 1

There are many google experts these days. They search google and get information or reviews and post on other forums what they have read without doing any testing themselves or having the background to understand what they have read. It is best to find someone that is qualified, "education, experience, etc", and listen to what they have to say on any subject or do some testing yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

There are many google experts these days. They search google and get information or reviews and post on other forums what they have read without doing any testing themselves or having the background to understand what they have read. It is best to find someone that is qualified, "education, experience, etc", and listen to what they have to say on any subject or do some testing yourself. 

I do that on Bananas.org....

22 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Deang that is a bit harsh, they give your Jupiter beeswax caps a good write up!

It’s because they’re stacked film and foil. It was a great part. 

Film and foil will always sound smoother and cleaner than metallized. 

I was of course joking with the “if I can’t hear it, they’re lying” comment - but I do think the differences in capacitors using the same dielectric and build are grossly overstated. 

• Like 2

• dtel locked this topic