Capacitor Rabbit Hole. Just How Do You Measure?

Dave A

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Have you experimented with colors for your velcro to see if there was some fine tuning possible?

Of course.  I'm not a novice at this.  I ended up going with beige as it was the most neutral sounding of all the colors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was a post on January 4 from jvs1670 in this thread that I feel requires a reply.  This forum member contacted me regarding upgrades to the AL network.  It appears that there are questions about the service I offer in comments that appeared in this thread.  I hope this post clarifies the service being offered.

Keep in mind my service only repairs Klipsch networks to factory specifications.  The only parts for the VINTAGE networks that are available and approved by Klipsch at present are the capacitors I provide.  Should a network require parts no longer available from Klipsch, the only way to maintain factory originality and have a genuine Klipsch product is to find and purchase a used, working ALL ORIGINAL network.  I do not provide this service.  It is up to the owner of the speaker to find a suitable replacement.  I know there are parts available that can be used to repair a network, but then the repair is not factory approved because of the use of unauthorized parts.  I don't get involved with those repairs.  My company only repairs networks that can be brought back to factory specifications using Klipsch approved parts.  That's it.  We don't experiment with off the shelf parts or perform unauthorized "up-grades".  We do install the new capacitor kit for a customer if they prefer, but recommend they do the installation themselves if at all possible.  The crossover network is the "brain" of the speaker and is very valuable.  With shipping costs what they are and with the possibility of loss or damage in transit, we suggest avoiding the risk.  The decision is up to the customer.  We provide detailed instructions and will answer questions if you have difficulty.  If one cannot solder, then the choices are send in the networks to us or find someone local to help with the installation.    

I had no idea when I responded to the email from jvs1670 that it would show up on this forum and would prompt responses that are totally out of context.  I was simply offering information gained through the years while working with Klipsch products.  jvs1670 asked me what could be done to improve the AL network.  I did not say the AL network is no good or  "sucks", my words were "isn't really the best".  If you are asking for a better network than the AL, you have the pre-owned market AL-3 or a brand new LaScala II complete upgrade.  These options, as well as back-dating to AA and the K55V, will maintain an authentic Klipsch product which is what this service is all about.  As far as the K55V and K55M drivers are concerned, I follow factory recommendation as to what network is suitable for each driver.  Some may like the sound of the K55M with the AA network.  That's fine, but it's not what Klipsch recommends and your speaker is not performing to factory specifications.  By the way, I do offer replacement caps for the AL network.   

I am not the enemy.  If you are interested in maintaining your Klipsch speaker as an authentic Klipsch product, contact us.  If you like to tinker, modify, whatever, have fun.  It's your speaker.  My company is simply offering a Klipsch approved service to those who wish to keep their vintage Klipsch speaker operating as PWK intended.    

Edited by JEM
added three words to first sentence
  • Like 7

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JEM said:

There was a post on January 4 from jvs1670 in this thread that I feel requires a reply.  This forum member contacted me regarding upgrades to the AL network.  It appears that there are questions about the service I offer in comments that appeared in this thread.  I hope this post clarifies the service being offered.

I'm going to paste a copy of this in the thread that was also featured about your services here:

On 1/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, babadono said:

yes but speaker crossovers feed low impedance speakers, relative to tube circuits. It would stand to reason that high(er) ESR in the caps in a crossover would be detectable.

Oh yes, the MOST obvious place.  

On 1/8/2021 at 5:54 AM, henry4841 said:

First just who is the guy and what qualifications does he have. Obviously he thinks he has golden ears. I frankly think the site is rubbish. Much like someone saying they can hear a difference in sound of a 1/4" of wire. On the internet you have to take claims with a grain of salt. My good sense tells me no one can tell the difference is sound between that many capacitors. After just 15 minutes it is hard to compare any audio gear being that sound has a very short memory of detail. For an accurate test all the caps would have to be hooked up switches and A/B'd against each other and done multiple times. I am sure PWK would get his button out.

Yeah

One of the big review sites

the editors can hear the difference with fast and slow headphone and speaker cables

Freq sweeps of 16GA Lamp cord and Gold cables, likely are identical

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JEM said:

We do install the new capacitor kit for a customer if they prefer, but recommend they do the installation themselves if at all possible.  The crossover network is the "brain" of the speaker and is very valuable.  With shipping costs what they are and with the possibility of loss or damage in transit, we suggest avoiding the risk.  The decision is up to the customer.  We provide detailed instructions and will answer questions if you have difficulty.  If one cannot solder, then the choices are send in the networks to us or find someone local to help with the installation.   

so  , I understand that  

1)-you strive to save the client money from  added shipping costs and labor -

if they can do the recap themselves -

but if they cannot

2)you have the client ship the crossovers to your outfit for a retrofit , at an added cost -

To answer RandyHooo and others on kit vs. install.  Yes there is a charge to install the kit.  Base charge is $20.00 for a pair and increases depending on the network and what is involved.  For instance, can the original wiring be used or is it in bad shape and in need of replacement?  Is the network mounted on a board or is a circuit board involved?    

Why do I recommend do-it-yourself vs. sending in the networks?  It's just this; I don't want to see a customer upset over a lost or damaged pair of networks.  Right know COVID has caused the shipping industry to be less than efficient in many parts of the country.  I know, that's why you insure your shipment.  But did you ever try and collect for a lost or damaged item?  It's not a fun process and it isn't fast.  I don't know how you guys feel, but personally I like to keep the network my speaker was born with.  Case in point, I mailed a AA kit to Annapolis, Maryland on December 30 USPS Priority Mail that had an expected deliver date of January 5.  It is now the 11th and no delivery.  Tracking says it will arrive late but is still in transit.  I am sending a replacement kit to the customer via FedEx today.  Will we ever see the kit mailed on Dec. 30?  I doubt it.  The cap kit can be replaced but your speaker is only original once.         

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• dtel locked this topic