Capacitor Rabbit Hole. Just How Do You Measure?

Dave A

58 minutes ago, JEM said:

To answer RandyHooo and others on kit vs. install.  Yes there is a charge to install the kit.  Base charge is $20.00 for a pair and increases depending on the network and what is involved.  For instance, can the original wiring be used or is it in bad shape and in need of replacement?  Is the network mounted on a board or is a circuit board involved?    

Why do I recommend do-it-yourself vs. sending in the networks?  It's just this; I don't want to see a customer upset over a lost or damaged pair of networks.  Right know COVID has caused the shipping industry to be less than efficient in many parts of the country.  I know, that's why you insure your shipment.  But did you ever try and collect for a lost or damaged item?  It's not a fun process and it isn't fast.  I don't know how you guys feel, but personally I like to keep the network my speaker was born with.  Case in point, I mailed a AA kit to Annapolis, Maryland on December 30 USPS Priority Mail that had an expected deliver date of January 5.  It is now the 11th and no delivery.  Tracking says it will arrive late but is still in transit.  I am sending a replacement kit to the customer via FedEx today.  Will we ever see the kit mailed on Dec. 30?  I doubt it.  The cap kit can be replaced but your speaker is only original once.         

The moral of the story is to not use USPS.  Fedex and UPS tracking is spot on.  Crossovers can be packed well enough to avoid damaging by delivery gorillas as well.  You really think customers would blame you for losing their networks?

• Sad 1

So is there a best cap for the 1980 (or so) Heresy? Mine are bone stock and could use a re-fresh. I plan to continue to call it a Heresy no matter what so what would the best option? Not looking to far exceed the point of diminishing returns but would like to use the most tried and true parts. 

This is a serious question and do appreciate the help.

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

We interupt this broadcast to inform you that capacitors are now obsolete.

Fast forward to the section on DSP.

We now return you to your regular programming. 

That's a fact. DSP is the way to go and it allows you to tune for your specific room environment. My Xilica replaces an endless amount of crossovers and has a better sound to boot.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, JEM said:

Should a network require parts no longer available from Klipsch, the only way to maintain factory originality and have a genuine Klipsch product is to find and purchase a used, working ALL ORIGINAL network.

A whole new level of silly.

• Like 2

I agree, components are pretty standardized these days. Some plenty good enough and then supposedly better for deep pockets. If something is plenty good enough you will not have hear a noticeable difference buying exotic parts.  Klipsch from what I have seen or heard does not use exotic parts, just standard over the counter components most all part houses have. Reason being, plenty good enough. If one wants to use components authorized by Klipsch I again say why not but if the part is no longer available there are hundreds if not thousands as good or better to choose from. I would rather buy a new autotransformer or inductor then a used one myself. Other then resistors or caps only components left in a crossover except the old networks are zeners. I would venture to say a failure of a zener in a Klilpsch crossover is very remote. But then they are available new as well just pricey. 

• dtel locked this topic