Electrical Question

BigStewMan

Light switch toggle is loose. what I mean is that it moves up and down very easy ... easier than in the past. light still works and the panel appears normal neither it or the wall are warm to touch.

Is this just a nuisance of is there a risk of fire?   Noticed it that way yesterday; but not sure how long it's been this way. 

Thanks.

NO WORRIES --

are you sure the toggle switch  is not loose in any way inside the wall ----you should have 2 flat screws holding the front   cover ------and 2 more screws holding the toggle  switch  inside the wall behind  the outer cover --------these 2 internal  screws must be tight or the toggle can move somewhat  ----

there are more screws for the positive and the negative wires /  ground, these cannot be loose at all  ---------best advice is to replace the toggle switch if all screws are tight

Plaque murale à interrupteur à bascule 1-gang lexanLeviton 1221-2R 20-Amp, 120/277-Volt, Toggle Single-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Spec Grade, Self Grounding (Red)

• Thanks 1

I haven't opened it up since I'm just renting.  the bathroom switch has three toggles, regular light, fan, and sunlamp.  just the sunlamp toggle is a bit loose. 

just curious how quickly I need to notify maintenance of this ... obviously if it was a fire threat, I'd have to get them out here immediately. 

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I haven't opened it up since I'm just renting.  the bathroom switch has three toggles, regular light, fan, and sunlamp.  just the sunlamp toggle is a bit loose. 

just curious how quickly I need to notify maintenance of this ... obviously if it was a fire threat, I'd have to get them out here immediately. 

Bathrooms are humid areas -------call maintenance asap-   the sun lamp draws quite a bit of power ---it will take them 15 minutes to replace a Toggle switch -  make sure they throw away the toggle switch - or bust it with a hammer -

15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

NO WORRIES --

are you sure the toggle switch  is not loose in any way inside the wall ----you should have 2 flat screws holding the front   cover ------and 2 more screws holding the toggle  switch  inside the wall behind  the outer cover --------these 2 internal  screws must be tight or the toggle can move somewhat  ----

there are more screws for the positive and the negative wires /  ground, these cannot be loose at all  ---------best advice is to replace the toggle switch if all screws are tight

Two things that most tract homes need. 

The wires in the light switches may be in the switch using a push terminal in the back.  These always loosen over time.  You need to take the wire out and attach to the side screw and screw down really tight. 

On a similar note, replace all of your outlets with the 'mid grade' or better outlets from the Home Depot as the cheap ones in tract homes always wear out and become loose where the plug goes in.  Same thing, use the side terminals and screw down really tight. 

If you rent, you will not care, but if you own, this needs to be done. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

now you're confusing me ... first you said No Worries, now you say call maintenance ASAP.  again, my concern is primarily safety. so trying to figure out if there is a fire danger or is this just a nuisance that can be fixed whenever?

I don't think it's serious, things just wear out. How old is the place? It's super easy to replace a switch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I don't think it's serious, things just wear out. How old is the place? It's super easy to replace a switch. 

Hey Bill ... I have no idea how old this place is.  generally in good shape and I've heard that a loose switch is normal wear and tear -- I mean they are used A LOT.  since I'm renting here, I don't want to monkey with repairs and let maintenance deal with it.  once upon a time, I tried to fix something myself and made the situation worse, cost me a pretty penny getting a pro to come in a get it right ... I could have had it done for free by calling the landlord; but since I didn't, I was responsible for the further damage.  lesson learned.

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Bill ... I have no idea how old this place is.  generally in good shape and I've heard that a loose switch is normal wear and tear -- I mean they are used A LOT.  since I'm renting here, I don't want to monkey with repairs and let maintenance deal with it.  once upon a time, I tried to fix something myself and made the situation worse, cost me a pretty penny getting a pro to come in a get it right ... I could have had it done for free by calling the landlord; but since I didn't, I was responsible for the further damage.  lesson learned.

Hey Steve.....I'm sure your place is new enough that if a wire inside an electrical box shorted out it would kick a breaker, blow a fuse? Buzz them at your convenience, but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Do you feel good about the place? I'm sure you do.

37 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

NO WORRIES --

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Bathrooms are humid areas -------call maintenance asap-  

21 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

now you're confusing me ... first you said No Worries, now you say call maintenance ASAP.  

I just can't.

🤐🤪

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Hey Steve.....I'm sure your place is new enough that if a wire inside an electrical box shorted out it would kick a breaker, blow a fuse? Buzz them at your convenience, but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Do you feel good about the place? I'm sure you do.

I just looked the place up ... built in 1992 and renovated in 2018. 

seems to be in pretty decent shape. Been here 18 months and haven't had a problem. 

• Like 1

If switch shorts out the fuse/relay should blow in fuse box preventing a fire. If you have a good/quick. main. crew I would let them do it.

It's not hard to do yourself just make sure you remove fuse/trip relay so you don't get shocked. Google search on how to replace light switch should show you what you are getting into. A good replacement switch at HD should run about 7  bucks. I would take out old switch and take it with you to make sure you get the correct switch.

Don't forgot the fuse/relay will turn off more than the one switch and could affect memory ect. on other devices. Good luck!

• Like 2

The 60 cycle of alternating current can physically loosen wires attached by screws by vibration. But this usually results in failure of the switch to function, no light. Sounds like your switch is merely loose at its hard point screws. Remove the switch plate and inspect it. The fire hazard should be minimal as the wires are well separated and are designed to fail safe per UL guidelines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there is any doubt replace.  It will only get worse as the internal (bumpers, springs, and contacts) wear out.  Whether you or LL do the actual work.  It really is easy =>

On 1/4/2021 at 1:23 PM, CECAA850 said:

Its simple.  Remove 2 screws on the trim plate.  Tighten 2 screws on the switch.  Plastic handle will insulate you from harm.  Entire process should take around a minute.

Always kill the circuit power first at the Main or Sub Panel (unless you want curly hair).  Then check to see if power is actually off where you are working.  Lotta questionable electricians.

• Like 1