Electrical Question

BigStewMan

23 minutes ago, Seadoc said:

If there is any doubt replace.  It will only get worse as the internal (bumpers, springs, and contacts) wear out.  Whether you or LL do the actual work.  It really is easy =>

Always kill the circuit power first at the Main or Sub Panel (unless you want curly hair).  Then check to see if power is actually off where you are working.  Lotta questionable electricians.

I've never once seen an electrician kill the power to a wall switch or receptacle to tighten it.  Ever.  They would laugh at you if you suggested it.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, BigStewMan said:

Light switch toggle is loose. what I mean is that it moves up and down very easy ... easier than in the past. light still works and the panel appears normal neither it or the wall are warm to touch.

2 minutes ago, Seadoc said:

Well I was referring to replacing not tightening.

I thought we were talking about Steve's problem.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:05 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you rent, you will not care, but if you own, this needs to be done. 

Just to clarify....  when I worked in Florida for those couple years.....the apartment I was in had loose outlets.  Tight enough to work but didn't have a crisp grab of a plug... enough to make me wonder about it....and I don't like to wonder about electricity.

Plugs are cheap (and I know how to do this) so I bought several outlets and replaced those that were in use.  Only cost me a handful of dollars and I got it done one day when I was bored.  

So even a renter might care :smile:

On 1/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, BigStewMan said:

Light switch toggle is loose. what I mean is that it moves up and down very easy

I'd take the cover off and then, only touching the actual toggle....  grasp it with two fingers and wiggle things.

My experience says that if the toggle wiggles side to side, then it needs the upper/lower screws tightened to the box.  I don't think it should wiggle up or down as much as it might wiggle sideways so I'd want to check that out first.

26 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Just to clarify....  when I worked in Florida for those couple years.....the apartment I was in had loose outlets.  Tight enough to work but didn't have a crisp grab of a plug... enough to make me wonder about it....and I don't like to wonder about electricity.

Plugs are cheap (and I know how to do this) so I bought several outlets and replaced those that were in use.  Only cost me a handful of dollars and I got it done one day when I was bored.  

So even a renter might care :smile:

I repaired stuff when I rented.  It was easier than trying to wait for LL and stay home for the repairmen to show up.

If you wont fry yourself

A box of totl outlets and switches isn't a lot of money

same for a basic outlet circuit tester polarity and gfi

For a few bucks more, you can get an EMI detector at the HW store

You can go around and change them all out

inc adding GFI outlets next to water

Totl are like $1 more than junk outlets in builder packs

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Light switch toggle is loose. what I mean is that it moves up and down very easy ... easier than in the past. light still works and the panel appears normal neither it or the wall are warm to touch.

The internal mechanism is worn. The toggle activates the contacts through a spring and levers which are supposed to open and close quickly and with sufficient pressure to prevent arcing and sparking. Your switch is probably sparking inside because the contacts are not closing with much force.. Potentially dangerous enough to call maintenance asap.

17 minutes ago, wetowne said:

The internal mechanism is worn. The toggle activates the contacts through a spring and levers which are supposed to open and close quickly and with sufficient pressure to prevent arcing and sparking. Your switch is probably sparking inside because the contacts are not closing with much force.. Potentially dangerous enough to call maintenance asap.

I thought he was referring to the entire assembly.  More than once I've had to tighten the switches to the box.  If the lever is loose that I agree with you.  I had to replace one recently that was arcing.  There was even carbon showing from the arc.  I took the old one apart (because that's what I do with old stuff LOL) and the contacts were virtually gone.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I thought he was referring to the entire assembly.  More than once I've had to tighten the switches to the box.  If the lever is loose that I agree with you.  I had to replace one recently that was arcing.  There was even carbon showing from the arc.  I took the old one apart (because that's what I do with old stuff LOL) and the contacts were virtually gone.

Not much of a fire hazard really they can arc for years as you know but if you got a gas leak well that's a different story.