1957 Khorns for sale

Jefe

I will have to figure out how to post pics again.  Been a while.  Those look original, but the tops look like the back have bee cut from a point to be flat vs a triangle.  You can say anything is overpriced, but if someone is willing to pay the price then it isn't, I would't pay 9k for them for sure, but who's to say someone wouldn't pay it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kuisis said:

I will have to figure out how to post pics again.  Been a while.  Those look original, but the tops look like the back have bee cut from a point to be flat vs a triangle.  You can say anything is overpriced, but if someone is willing to pay the price then it isn't, I would't pay 9k for them for sure, but who's to say someone wouldn't pay it?

I agree about value.  If this were a garage sale ad posted by a member, I would never criticize the asking price, but in an alert about a non-forum listing, price is fair game.  Forum members deserve to know that many very early Klipschorns are still being used and enjoyed.  Just because a speaker is older than you are does not mean that it belongs in a museum or has exaggerated resale value.

If you would like, send a PM and we can exchange emails.  You could send me photos and I could post them.  Or, with your permission, I could post photos of your speakers taken before you bought them.  I’d rather see what they look like today in their regular environment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kuisis said:

You can say anything is overpriced, but if someone is willing to pay the price then it isn't, I would't pay 9k for them for sure, but

who's to say someone wouldn't pay it?

There is always someone out there with more money than brains who is willing to pay ten times an item's worth.  That's why we call ads for such absurdly over priced items "the sucker search."

We don't know what a pre-60's Khorn is worth but we do know they average $658 (single) based on actual sales.  We also know when they are priced at $1500 they don't sell.

My analysis of the actual Sold prices is that most Buyers don't want museum pieces, they want speakers they can play.  At the $9k level, based on previous known sales I think it's safe to predict this Seller will have that speaker for a long time.

A speaker is only worth what a willing Buyer and a willing Seller can agree to.  New or used.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If this were a garage sale ad posted by a member, I would never criticize the asking price, but in an alert about a non-forum listing, price is fair game.

As usual, you nailed it.

Part of my enjoyment of this hobby includes discussing how to value Heritage speakers and using data to compare speakers currently on sale to previous sold items.  I would never put my opinion on pricing out there if this were a sale by a forum member.  Even now if I found out this was a sale by one of our forum members I would go back and delete my posts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

As usual, you nailed it.

Part of my enjoyment of this hobby includes discussing how to value Heritage speakers and using data to compare speakers currently on sale to previous sold items.  I would never put my opinion on pricing out there if this were a sale by a forum member.  Even now if I found out this was a sale by one of our forum members I would go back and delete my posts.

The thing is, relative to how expensive new "audiophile" speakers are and how amazing old Heritage speakers sound in comparison to anything else on the market I think they should be worth a lot more money. Many would say I overpaid for my La Scala's but I just bought a pair of speakers I will probably own for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jefe said:

If there another forum more appropriate for this post?

If a forum member is selling their own stuff, then this sub-forum Garage Sale is where to post.

If a forum member is posting about gear not their own then it belongs in the sub sub-forum "Alerts!" and made clear there is "No affiliation."

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:39 AM, wvu80 said:

There is always someone out there with more money than brains who is willing to pay ten times an item's worth.  That's why we call ads for such absurdly over priced items "the sucker search."

We don't know what a pre-60's Khorn is worth but we do know they average $658 (single) based on actual sales.  We also know when they are priced at $1500 they don't sell.

My analysis of the actual Sold prices is that most Buyers don't want museum pieces, they want speakers they can play.  At the $9k level, based on previous known sales I think it's safe to predict this Seller will have that speaker for a long time.

A speaker is only worth what a willing Buyer and a willing Seller can agree to.  New or used.

Unless you have recorded every single sale you can't say that is even the average cost.  I can speak from personal experience that I got a great deal on my speakers, thanks to Neal.  I would never sell mine for your average price.  I've had friends offer me two to three times what I've paid.  I wonder what my CP-1's are worth? They will be for sale soon.  How many sales of speakers do you think take place off of this forum? The list is a good starting point if someone knows absolutely nothing about Klipsch speakers.