Forte IV?

I have been really loving my Forte 3 for about a year.  I tend to listen at moderate volume level and a little loud occasionally if my wife is gone out.  They really sound great to me.  I would love to compare the 3 and 4 side by side to see if I could tell the difference.  I think the next big step for me would be the CW4.  I would also love to compare them to the Forte.  I am hesitant to go with a larger speaker due to the size and weight.  Got to have something I can manage and move around by myself.  I had the chance to by the original Forte back in the late 80s but went with something else.  I have wanted a pair ever sense.  I would be hard pressed to ever get rid of them.  Also have a RF7, RC7, RF3, & RSW12 (1st gen) system for home theater (movies & concerts).  i will get around to checking out the CW4 some day.  No need to hurry.

Darkscience, 

The pattern on the top of my speakers look the same as yours, however, the sides look like a monster's face, lol!   I'm pretty OCD, but this doesn't bother me because I don't really see the sides anyways, and the speakers are black to begin with.  Here's a pic:

IMG_1710.jpg

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Is that in La Verne? Do they actually have Klipsch on display?

Upscale is indeed in La Verne just across the street from the Pomona Drag Strip. They do have Klipsch on display and they usually stock speakers in every finish imaginable. Kevin Deal doesn't want people to have to wait for stereo gear so he makes sure they are always well stocked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darkscience, 

The pattern on the top of my speakers look the same as yours, however, the sides look like a monster's face, lol!   I'm pretty OCD, but this doesn't bother me because I don't really see the sides anyways, and the speakers are black to begin with.  Here's a pic:

IMG_1710.jpg.0b48ba90bb72e2a1ed4a0a2dcb2a1274.jpg
Haha thats awesome. Im not that OCD, but I do like getting what I paid for. There is a certain amount of rolling the dice with the wood grain. How is the book match on yours? Is the monster on both speakers? Curious since you also went black ash. Black Ash Forte IV is what I had originaly ordered before changing that to CW IV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Darkscience said:

Haha thats awesome. Im not that OCD, but I do like getting what I paid for. There is a certain amount of rolling the dice with the wood grain. How is the book match on yours? Is the monster on both speakers? Curious since you also went black ash. Black Ash Forte IV is what I had originaly ordered before changing that to CW IV.

The left side of both speakers look like the sides of yours, the right side of both speakers have monster face.  Here's the other speaker -- it's not in a corner so it was easier to take a pic.  Regardless, someone said earlier in this thread that the Fortes are big and bad, and I have to agree.  I haven't heard sound like this since I got out of high-fi in the late eighties. Speaking of which, I was shocked to learn that tone controls are a no-no these days.  ...not for me though, I purchased my Outlaw 2160 in part because it has separate bass and treble controls.  Now, if only equalizers were back in fashion!  :-)

IMG_1709.jpg

Edited by Signals

7 minutes ago, Ken Newtson said:

Got the shipping order today and the Fortes will get here on Saturday along with the amp.  Kat at Upscale was great to work with.

Very exciting- and congrats - Kat is the TT expert at Upscale - very knowledgeable and is an analog expert and super nice. She started showing me the EVO 400 and then Kevin came in and sat with me and dialed me in -- all the people at Upscale are outstanding. 

I believe bookmatched is only applicable on speakers with a natural finish, i.e., cherry, walnut, etc. Black covers more of the detail of the grain and color of the veneer. There's nothing wrong with the veneer... it's just the way they do it. Perhaps someone could verify that. I could be off the wall thinking it.

Cory?

@Paducah Home Theater

I believe bookmatched is only applicable on speakers with a natural finish, i.e., cherry, walnut, etc. Black covers more of the detail of the grain and color of the veneer. There's nothing wrong with the veneer... it's just the way they do it. Perhaps someone could verify that. I could be off the wall thinking it.

Cory?

[mention=59101]Paducah Home Theater[/mention]
This from the spec sheet on the website.2c9bc36aa3e3030fd65a2527af17d834.jpg

22 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Cory?

@Paducah Home Theater

Hi,

I have black ash CWIIIs and they have the book finish, the right speaker looks like the left speaker.

Hi [mention=79039]Darkscience[/mention]

the boxes match and do the labels on the back of the speakers match your home?

mine box
560060881_DSC_0108-Copie.thumb.JPG.3e0e17533be906c3958efcec52356970.JPG
379329844_DSC_0109-Copie.thumb.JPG.8be3e6d403747cddfe96fe201a7ea21f.JPG

mines rear labels speakers
1837317277_kflht0015.jpg.6407eadaa086dea800c6d89b91b20b66.jpg
4dx2.jpg

Yes all that matches on mine. The backs match the serial numbers on the boxes. Same guys signature on mine too.

So I think someone's mixed it up in the labels and speakers with the similar grain veneers. Another person must have a mixed pair, what do you think!

It's a klipsch selling point to say that the speakers go together for sound and veneer like a book. If you do not receive this it is because there has been a mixture and a problem with the quality control.

My first Klipsch were Forte 1's, which I ordered from some mail order store in NYC in 1988. They sent me not only non-sequential serial #s, but the grill cloths were different colors. One was a green/brown, the other was black. I didn't even notice for a few months, as my place at the time was somewhat dark inside. And I didn't know or check about consecutive #s. So someone else somewhere had the matching unmatched pair. I kept them for almost 30 years. I sold them a few years ago to my pal, and scored a mint pair of Chorus IIs, this time with everything correct. But the Forte 1s sounded awesome...as do my CH2s, although the F1s went deeper, way down to 32hz.

Not trying to stir the pot, but, if you paid full price and did not receive what was advertised, I would ask for at the minimum, B stock pricing. If you ever sell, your re-sale value will be lower. If the dealer is good they will give you the adjusted price and he can then fight with Klipsch for his credit. $4500.00 is a lot of money and you should get what you paid for.
I agree with you. I am bummed about the possibility of having to get them replaced but if I get offered a discount I would jump on that. I think the value lies mostly in proper serial #'s, the veneer not being identical is somewhat minor.

I will say though they are very interesting looking in my room, they really stand out as being different but because its just a flat color it actually looks cool. Like a couple tigers brithers sitting in the corner. If they matched identical it would actially be a bit less interesting. That being said im not suggesting non matched is better, but what I got is working for me, but I am not ok paying full price.