Calling all wood workers....again

rplace

32 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Happy New Year.  Assuming I have made sense, The first two passes, making the recess for the driver lip, I just use a plunge router to the exact depth I want.  Since I use 18mm BB, it takes a couple of passes increasing the depth until I get where I want.  Once the 'lip' is created, I start making the passes that will eventually cut all the way through the board.  I will say that I am not familiar with the jig you showed in the picture a few posts up. 

I have a sneaky suspicion we are not talking about the same thing since you mention a drill press....

Two different things in play here. The picture is the old way I did it. That is the Bosch circle jig. Was just completing my conversation with Carl

33 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Great tidbit of info.

I mentioned it in the 5th post. Instructions on the packaging or their web site

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Why do you want to enlarge it?  Center it with the 1/4" bit then swap bits and pop the centering plug out.

There are different jigs from Jasper. Mine is one piece of solid plastic. No centering plug to add/remove

25 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Addressing the picture you posted above and ASSUMING you can keep the 'taped' pin in place....this is how I would do it.

Set the plunge stop the depth you want for the driver lip.  Start at the largest diameter necessary for the driver to drop into place.  Make your first circle to the depth of the lip.  Move the jig a little closer to center to increase the width of the lip you are carving until you get the correct lip width.

Finally, set the jig to the diameter necessary to drop in the basket and cut all the way through.

Again, assuming your taped pin will not move, which is a big IF.

See above Rudy. I was thinking of using the drill press and Fostner bit to enlarge the hole in my particular jig. There seems to be different versions. Mine is one piece of plastic designed to take a 1/4 bit only. On the instructions for larger bits it mentions you will have to enlarge the hole. I was guessing yours was like mine so if you were already using a larger bit, I was curious how you made the hole in the jig bigger. Don't want to break/crack it and the more centered the better.

Rudy, above looks great....as usual. I'm redoing my PAP baffles so I need that in reverse. A recess for mounting form the back. Same reason....keep the driver in place and I like messing around. I don't want it 3/4" back purely for appearance.

FYI this is how my Jig looks. One piece of solid plastic, no centering mechanism, set up for a 1/4 bit only....unless you modify it. Again the previous post with parallel rods and taped centering thing was my old method....thus my confusion with the new jig as I've not done it before with a lip only holes of one size.

super_zoom.jpg?c=1580886011

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

Rudy, above looks great....as usual. I'm redoing my PAP baffles so I need that in reverse. A recess for mounting form the back. Same reason....keep the driver in place and I like messing around. I don't want it 3/4" back purely for appearance.

FYI this is how my Jig looks. One piece of solid plastic, no centering mechanism, set up for a 1/4 bit only....unless you modify it. Again the previous post with parallel rods and taped centering thing was my old method....thus my confusion with the new jig as I've not done it before with a lip only holes of one size.

super_zoom.jpg?c=1580886011

I have that jig as well.  On mine, the center 'quarter' sized plastic piece pops out.  Normally, the clear quarter sized piece is left on while you center the jig on your router plate.  Once you have the jig attached to your router, you pop out the quarter sized clear piece and you can use any bit you want.  Use the 1/8" pin on the slot for the required diameter.

12 minutes ago, rplace said:

I mentioned it in the 5th post. Instructions on the packaging or their web site

I missed that.  Didn't see it on their web site.  I'll look at mine next time I use it if it's still legible.  I've had it quite a while.

2 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I have that jig as well.  On mine, the center 'quarter' sized plastic piece pops out.  Normally, the clear quarter sized piece is left on while you center the jig on your router plate.  Once you have the jig attached to your router, you pop out the quarter sized clear piece and you can use any bit you want.  Use the 1/8" pin on the slot for the required diameter.

Actually, based on your comments I think you and Carl have the same one and mine is the "lesser" non Pro 200 Max version. Plus yellow is cooler than gray 😉. I'm not crazy, you guys  see my confusion? 

Just now, Rudy81 said:

@rplace, I am 99.9% sure your center piece pops out as well!  Look at it closely and you will see that the piece is cut with a slight bevel and the piece comes out in one direction.  My jig looks exactly like yours.

I'll look again, but I'm 99.999999% sure it does not as yesterday I was not paying attention trying to make my too short bit go all the way through and the collar of the router cut/burned/scared the plastic. I think I would have noticed if it pops out...but I'll check. Will happy if it does.

6 minutes ago, rplace said:

I'll look again, but I'm 99.999999% sure it does not as yesterday I was not paying attention trying to make my too short bit go all the way through and the collar of the router cut/burned/scared the plastic. I think I would have noticed if it pops out...but I'll check. Will happy if it does.

I just went and looked at my jig.  It is Model 270 but looks exactly like yours. I truly don't think the hole on the quarter sized pieced is meant to be used with a bit. The bit is held in place by the router jaws....wouldn't make sense to force you to use a 1/4" bit.

The small 1/4" hole is merely there as a centering mechanism for the jig while you mount it on the base plate of the router.

1 minute ago, Rudy81 said:

I just went and looked at my jig.  It is Model 270 but looks exactly like yours. I truly don't think the hole on the quarter sized pieced is meant to be used with a bit. The bit is held in place by the router jaws....wouldn't make sense to force you to use a 1/4" bit.

I gotta move a car and uncover my mobile table saw router table combo so not that easy right now. I'll check tomorrow. My gray one with smaller hole does not hold the bit, per se, it is larger than the 1/4 bit by a tiny amount all around. I'd guess it is a function of saving a penny or two by not making that center piece removable....but hoping I'm wrong and mine actually comes out. Typical marketing 270 > 200 Max Pro > 200. I think I have the lowly 200.

59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

How about you @rplace?  Similar?

You post, 3 up from this one, has a sad face on my phone. Will check when in front of a computer. 

Mine looks exactly like the picture I posted in third post of this page (page 2). Gray, 200, no max/pro, etc. Looks like most others online pop out to a bigger hole...will check tomorrow when in the garage. Fingers crossed I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first...nor the last.