Jump to content

Fives phono/line switch


Recommended Posts

I use my new 5s almost exclusively with a turntable. I do not use a separate preamp. My TT doesn’t have a built in preamp. So I have to use the preamp built in to the 5s. When connecting the TT initially, I noticed that with everything hooked up, with the phono/line switch on “line,” I had no sound. So I switched it to “phono” and had what I assumed was full powered sound. I assumed I set it up correctly. I then had occasion to look at the Klipsch website on how to connect a TT with and without a preamp. Despite what works with my setup, the instructions clearly state that to use the speakers’ internal preamp, the switch should be on “line.” And to use another preamp, either stand alone or one built in to the TT, the switch should be on phono. This is the opposite of what works with my speakers. I have no other preamp, and the switch is on “phono,” but I have sound. I tested it and switched it back to “line” and get no sound. This may sound nitpicky and silly because after all, they seem to work very well. I guess I’m concerned either that I have done something wrong in connecting the components or there is something wrong with my new speakers. Could it simply be that the Klipsch website is wrong and that the proper setting is “phono” for 5s’ built in preamp and “line” for an external preamp? I contacted Klipsch, to no avail. I hope this makes sense. Thanks 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you found an error on the website. While I'm not employed by Klipsch no do I own the Fives, the industry standard for decades has been to select "phono" if you need to use the internal phono preamp and "line" if the signal is already at line level.

 

Short version is you hooked it up correctly. The reason you get no sound with the selector at Line level is the turntable output is measured at the millivolt level and a Line level output is at the Volt level - around 200 times (ignoring RIAA equalization leading to no bass.)

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, BadChile said:

I think you found an error on the website. While I'm not employed by Klipsch no do I own the Fives, the industry standard for decades has been to select "phono" if you need to use the internal phono preamp and "line" if the signal is already at line level.

 

Short version is you hooked it up correctly. The reason you get no sound with the selector at Line level is the turntable output is measured at the millivolt level and a Line level output is at the Volt level - around 200 times (ignoring RIAA equalization leading to no bass.)

 

 

Got it. Thanks so much for the response. I kind of suspected your explanation may be the case. But not being familiar with these issues, I wanted to make sure. You’ve put my mind at ease. Thanks so much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, quality product, quality members.

Come back and do a review of the phono amp if you want to.

We spin vinyl here... thanks!

 

Not sure I’m qualified to give a formal review, but I’ll share my experience and opinion. I purchased the 5s almost solely to use with a new TT (Pro Ject Debut Carbon Espirit). I thoroughly researched the topic and consulted a couple of experts before deciding on these speakers. I’m not sure if my expectations were unrealistic but I may be a little disappointed. They sound great when streaming. But I bought them for vinyl. I wasn’t expecting and didn’t want super bright and crisp sound, hoping instead for fuller, warmer, richer. I’d say the sound is a little muffled, almost muddy. This is the case even with new, audiophile quality records.  I’m contemplating a separate preamp. If anyone has another suggestion, please share. I’m a loyal Klipsch customer and really want these to be the speakers I expect them to be.

 

On a more positive note, I found some speaker stands that work perfectly with the 5s. (The Internet offered little help in this area. So I’ll try to rectify that.) Pictured below, Kanto S6 speaker stands work perfectly with the 5s. You cannot take advantage of the bolt attachment, but you don’t need it. I think the whole setup looks awesome. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

 

5415C68A-B864-419E-8DB5-4C6F7351C5B3.jpeg

Edited by scdfndr
Clarification
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I don't see your stands but cool.

Since you may be sure that your new turntable has no built-in phono preamp to compare with, suppose you want to try another external one to try.

Have not tried some newer ones that others have lately but, have been hearing more about the Puffin brand as well as the Shiit brand. Of course, there are many other brands to review.

Guessing your new TT has a decent needle/cartridge with a clean stylus. Cannot understand why 5he muddy sound.

Think I would start another topic in 2 channel forum here and see what feedback you get from other 5 users. Project also has a phono preamp. Prices will vary from possibly $50 to hundreds. May be a tube preamp would work for you.

Alright, new TT, needle, yes would try one and see. Would recommend that whichever brand you try has a decent return policy.

Try a new topic here. Almost certain that you have a mm cartridge instead of a mc one which uses a different voltage?

Thanks!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, billybob said:

Well I don't see your stands but cool.

Since you may be sure that your new turntable has no built-in phono preamp to compare with, suppose you want to try another external one to try.

Have not tried some newer ones that others have lately but, have been hearing more about the Puffin brand as well as the Shiit brand. Of course, there are many other brands to review.

Guessing your new TT has a decent needle/cartridge with a clean stylus. Cannot understand why 5he muddy sound.

Think I would start another topic in 2 channel forum here and see what feedback you get from other 5 users. Project also has a phono preamp. Prices will vary from possibly $50 to hundreds. May be a tube preamp would work for you.

Alright, new TT, needle, yes would try one and see. Would recommend that whichever brand you try has a decent return policy.

Try a new topic here. Almost certain that you have a mm cartridge instead of a mc one which uses a different voltage?

Thanks!

 

 

 

Here’s hopefully a better pic. I didn’t have room for floor stands and also didn’t want risk having the speakers knocked off stands not made for 5s where there is no mechanism to secure the speaker to the stand. These work great and I like the look and tilted angle.

 

https://www.kantoaudio.com/speaker-accessories/s6/

 

As you know, I took your advice and posted my question in a new thread. Thanks again. 

9CC1D40A-F934-409E-91E1-17969B55F376.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, scdfndr said:

 

Here’s hopefully a better pic. I didn’t have room for floor stands and also didn’t want risk having the speakers knocked off stands not made for 5s where there is no mechanism to secure the speaker to the stand. These work great and I like the look and tilted angle.

 

https://www.kantoaudio.com/speaker-accessories/s6/

 

As you know, I took your advice and posted my question in a new thread. Thanks again. 

9CC1D40A-F934-409E-91E1-17969B55F376.jpeg

Cool,I like it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Reviving this thread because I also encountered the same issue when configuring my setup (today).

 

Perhaps I'm misreading or just misinterpreting the support entry on this topic, so maybe a more knowing set of eyes could identify where the fault lies in this situation.

 

Either way, after hopping on a quick call with the brilliant Ivan at support we were able to resolve and my analog setup is now cranking properly.

 

My question is this, and its likely just unfounded perfectionist paranoia, but the 90sec or so of running my Pioneer mixer's signal cranked with the rear Fives switch improperly set to Phono produced output sound that was muffled and lacking any highs or mids (also quiet in volume), then eventually cut out. There's no chance I caused any permanent damage to the innards, correct?

 

Fidelity and volume levels seem just fine upon extensive testing with everything now config'd properly.

 

Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...