Straight Razor?

DizRotus

I read somewhere there was a fella that thought this subject matter was stupid! I ran out of cartridges a month or so ago and didn't want to buy any more. Went with a safety razor, and I'm glad I wear my respirator in public. Still haven't picked up a styptic pencil but I need one. After more than forty years shaving with a cartridge type only, I know I won't go with a straight razor. Good luck, and I'm guessing you've gone this route before?

Edited by JohnJ
40 not 50
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Who has experience with a straight razor for shaving?  I’m considering switching to a shaving brush and a straight razor.  Any suggestions?

here's my advice ... don't do it ... leave it for the people on tv.   I didn't go to a straight razor; but a safety razor.  They lie -- they aren't safe.  I have an inch long scar on my face to prove it.  I practically shaved my face off one day.  it bled ... a lot. 

Before that event, the safety razor worked great ... far better than these cartridge things they sell today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I have an inch long scar on my face to prove it.

oh yeah Neil, on the flip side, chicks love scars.  But, a successful man like you is probably married so a scar is just a scar. 

Stay warm my friend. I've been through four Michigan winters ... one was bad, the other three mild. 

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

here's my advice ... don't do it ... leave it for the people on tv.   I didn't go to a straight razor; but a safety razor.  They lie -- they aren't safe.  I have an inch long scar on my face to prove it.  I practically shaved my face off one day.  it bled ... a lot. 

Before that event, the safety razor worked great ... far better than these cartridge things they sell today. 

I about took my upper lip off with a "safety razor".  Never tried that again. If those are safe compared to a straight razor @DizRotus, BE CAREFUL

• Like 2

Straight razor's are best used in a skilled Barber's hands, sharpened with the leather strap hanging from the "shave" chair.  Treat yourself to a straight razor shave but don't shave yourself with a straight razor.  Best shave you will ever get if you can even find a Barber anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Update.  I quickly decided that a straight razor would be too Sweeney Todd.  Instead, I took a chance on an aluminum double-edge razor advertised on Neil deGrasse Tyson’s podcast, Startalk. 

After about six months, I am pleased with the product,  The machined aluminum handle system clamps the blade securely.  The shave is good and the blades are inexpensive and 100% recyclable.

https://hensonshaving.com

I use my grandfather's Gillette Silver tip and on occasion my grandmothers Lady Gillette.  Gillette platinum blades are good, but I can't find a good source, so Astra from Amazon have been my go-to for the last year.  

Gillette Flare Flair | Refurb Revamp Replate | Razor Emporium

Gillette Lady Gillette | Double Edge Safety | Razor Emporium

Sure enough after doing a quick Google search on the Gillette platinum, I came across some on Amazon.

Amazon.com: 25 Gillette Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades Made in Russia : Beauty & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades - 30 Ct : Beauty & Personal Care