Some questions on a surround set up

Hey Guys,

I am new here and have a few questions. I am currently using the Klipsch 500m together with the Klipsch r-12sw and a Denon 1400x avr receiver.

I want to upgrade to a surround setup and have been seeing a lot of good reviews on the 8000f’s, so I will probably buy a pair of those and use the 500m's as surround speakers.

My first question is, what is a good center to pair up with these speakers? 

I have a few problems since I would rather not hang my tv on the wall (because I am renting at the moment) so there isn't a lot of space for a center speaker. But I’m willing to do it if there are no other possibilities. Is it possible to set the tv on the center (I have the LG C8 65 inch which weighs 25.40 kg)? I currently have my receiver in the middle of the tv stand, I could put the receiver somewhere else, but I think the room there is a bit to small (I would rather not buy a small center just because it will fit if it sounds significantly worse than a bigger one). I provided a picture of my setup down below. The hole where the receiver currently is located is 65cm wide and 30 cm high. I do not think a center in front of the tv will be possible since there is only 6cm from the tv stand to the screen so it would probably block the screen.

Second question is, should I upgrade my subwoofer. I find that the subwoofer is just not quite as good as the speakers. Sounds a bit boomy sometimes and it is not fast at all. It was a 200-euro subwoofer so of course it is more on the cheaper side so it could be expected. I know it is in a bad spot right now since it is behind a chair (we do not have the space the put it somewhere else) but I had it not blocked in my previous place and it was kind of the same.

And last question is, should I upgrade my receiver. Will it do the 8000f's justice?

To sum it up:

What is a good center and what are my options for placing one?

Do I need to upgrade my sub, if yes what is a good one?

Do I need to upgrade my receiver, if yes which one works well with these speakers?

Picture of setup

Thanks in advance, cheers

Paul

Edited by Taffesbroodje

Welcome Paul, that's a very nice room you have. This question would be better viewed in the Home Theater section, hopefully others will see it.

Many people have placed their tv on top of their center speaker, as long as the center is large enough to hold the weight, and keep it secure. The best matching center for the 8000s is the RP504c. That speaker is less than 7" tall, 31" wide, and 16" deep. It will raise your tv, but it should work. There are a couple other centers that will match your 8000s, this is the top of the line.

That Denon AVR should be fine.

You could upgrade the sub, the center and sub do most of the work in an HT system. Hope this helps.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:10 AM, Ceptorman said:

Welcome Paul, that's a very nice room you have. This question would be better viewed in the Home Theater section, hopefully others will see it.

Many people have placed their tv on top of their center speaker, as long as the center is large enough to hold the weight, and keep it secure. The best matching center for the 8000s is the RP504c. That speaker is less than 7" tall, 31" wide, and 16" deep. It will raise your tv, but it should work. There are a couple other centers that will match your 8000s, this is the top of the line.

That Denon AVR should be fine.

You could upgrade the sub, the center and sub do most of the work in an HT system. Hope this helps.

First of all thanks for responding!

I noticed the Home Theater section after I created the topic and I wasn't able to find a option to change the section. I posted a new to topic in the Home Theater section linking this topic so I'm hoping some people will see it.

Anyway, moving on.

It's great to hear that a center under my tv would work, that makes it all that much easier!

The RP504c seem like a great pick.

Do you have any recommendations on the sub?

I'm also looking into dolby atmos, the in-ceiling speakers are out of the question since I'm renting but I saw the review of Youthman about dolby enabled speakers and was thinking about buying those kind of speakers.

In his video linked below he says that the RP-8060 FA would work better than the klipsch 500sa on top of the 8000f's for example. What are your thoughts on this?

And how does the  RP-8060 FA compare to the 8000f's front speaker wise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GMjnazQ81E

My ceiling is really flat, so the up firing speakers should work nicely.

Ceiling

There is also the possibility to mount 500SA's to the wall I think, but notice in the picture that my couch is straight and the wall diagonal so I'm not sure if that will work.  

Back wall

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Paul

Hey Paul. Just my personal preference, I would rather have a pair of RP8000f, and a pair of RP500sa if the cost were the same, which their msrp prices are. The RP8060fa might perform better in some cases, but not all, and having individual speakers would give you much more adjustability. If the RP8060fa works better in your room, and you plan to keep them and keep the room, then it works out well. But in another room, separates might work better. Those 500s can sit on top of an RP8000f, but might not look as cool as the 8060. I will admit, that RP8060fa is a very nice looking speaker, but the 500s can mount anywhere.

On the TV, just make sure the the base sits evenly on the center speaker. Your tv looks large, 75''? Is the silver colored piece on the bottom of the tv the base/mount? That center speaker is 31'' wide, can you measure the base? Hope the base isn't larger than the speaker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Hey Paul. Just my personal preference, I would rather have a pair of RP8000f, and a pair of RP500sa if the cost were the same, which their msrp prices are. The RP8060fa might perform better in some cases, but not all, and having individual speakers would give you much more adjustability. If the RP8060fa works better in your room, and you plan to keep them and keep the room, then it works out well. But in another room, separates might work better. Those 500s can sit on top of an RP8000f, but might not look as cool as the 8060. I will admit, that RP8060fa is a very nice looking speaker, but the 500s can mount anywhere.

On the TV, just make sure the the base sits evenly on the center speaker. Your tv looks large, 75''? Is the silver colored piece on the bottom of the tv the base/mount? That center speaker is 31'' wide, can you measure the base? Hope the base isn't larger than the speaker.

I would indeed rather have the RP8000f with the 500sa's as well, also because I will eventually be moving to another place. The tv is 65inch. The base is 35", so that would be a bit larger, but I guess that would still work since that would only be a tiny bit wider and the tv is also not that heavy (25.40kg). Do you need 4 dolby atmos modules? 2 front and 2 back or is 2 enough. Thanks for all the help :)

• Like 1