"New" Desktop Computer

willland

Well my 2014 Dell XPS 8700's HDD took a dump over the weekend so I was in the market for a new home computer but decided to save $700.00 to $800.00 and just fix what I have.  I figured that I would add more RAM, went from 8gb to 24gb, and replace the HDD with a 500gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD and be set.  Full diagnostic done on the processor(i7 4th generation) and video card(NVIDIA 645) with a clean bill of health and this thing is better than new.  Did I say FAST?  

Total $$$ spent, $140.00.

Bill

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, willland said:

Well my 2014 Dell XPS 8700's HDD took a dump over the weekend so I was in the market for a new home computer but decided to save $700.00 to $800.00 and just fix what I have.  I figured that I would add more RAM, went from 8gb to 24gb, and replace the HDD with a 500gb Samsung 860 EVO SSD and be set.  Full diagnostic done on the processor(i7 4th generation) and video card(NVIDIA 645) with a clean bill of health and this thing is better than new.  Did I say FAST?  

Bill

Great Job Bill  ,  the RAM  24GB    and the SSD HD ===TONS OF SPEED

I converted one of mine to Windows 10 the hard way. Lost the motherboard bios and had to get another one used which was caused by one of the Windows 10 updates screwing up the boot files and boo logs. I could not even fresh install windows 10 because it said the boot files were messed up after formatting. I installed a completely good Windows 7 drive which would not boot up either. I finally got everything installed on the new motherboard and working and then the last update started at 8:00am and stopped at 2:30PM. (20H2) Everything working and transferred the favorites and "E" mail addresses.

It only took about 3 weeks.

PS: It costs over $130.00 (2008 prices) to send the board out to the factory to get the bios installed (when it's gone) so I got the same board used for $96.00 from Newegg.

JJK

3 hours ago, willland said:

Bill

Nice! I have three or four old MBs we were getting rid of at work, that had dual core pentiums in then. Still nice boards with solid caps (no electrolytics). Looked them up and they can use gen 3 i3-7 cpus. I've got an i7 3770 off ebay cheap and co-worker found the same cpu at our recycling drop off. They are 4 core 8 threads, 3.4Ghz. While there are lots newer, faster processors out there, with an ssd, these are solid systems for my linux audio workstations. Almost free.

I'm all for doing this kind of upgrade.

• Like 1

The one I use is ancient but after what I went thru recently I'm not breaking out the new one I've had stashed for a year.  These things drive me insane and my old IT guy just laffs his rear off.  Told me long ago I was like a kid with a loaded gun.  He's right!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

you computer geeks ... you can fix stuff all on your own. the more I learn about people on this forum, the more I realize how much I didn't learn in life -- and there are few threads about the stuff that I have learnt.   

BINGO! Precisely my position on life. I know what I know and I KNOW my limitations. Cut me loose reworking computers and it would be an expensive learning curve. 

Now it would sure be nice if those who do not know medicine or public health would stop professing to understand those subjects better than the professionals who do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geezin' said:

12 years old and still smokin' fast.

Smokin' fast is relative. If that still has an older hard drive, then no. An ssd or m2 drive would be amazing. Far more important than the cpu speed. 

Love the Mac displays, though. 👍