La Scala - Change of Woofer??

Robbie010

2 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

No, that's not what he did. Now, if he had done that, it would be a K-33, wouldn't it.

Nope.

Well...  ummm....  according to the words I heard come out of his mouth, that's exactly what he did.  Therefore (at that time, in case something changed....I don't keep up with his offerings)  so therefore, at that time, he was selling for all purposes, an exact copy of the K33 (from a TS perspective) however, it was labeled as a Crites.

Maybe he was fibbing....  I certainly admit that I'm not technical in this stuff....  it is however, what I recall him saying.

1 minute ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Where did they come from?

I suppose you'd have to ask him where he obtained them.  I have no idea if they are a guarded secret or common knowledge (among those who know this kind of stuff)

I think you are misremembering. Bob used to get actual K-33's and would resell them. When he couldn't do that anymore, he worked with Eminence to get something he could use. The T/S parameters are not the same -- I have the numbers for all of these drivers.

FYI, if you give a vendor the exact specifications of something they already build for someone else -- they will say "no" to that too. 

• Like 1

I'll stand corrected.

He might have simply shortened the story for the non technicals like me that were there and simply said "so I called them back and gave them the specs...."  and left out the detailed part where it was slightly different.  (shrugs shoulders)

My wife reminds me hourly that I said something wrong.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 11:05 PM, Nuttzy1 said:

I have a pair of 1990 LA Scala's with AL-3 crossovers I was thinking of restoring. Are there any modifications or service bulletins to make them better?

AL-3’s are fine crossovers, keep them stock and enjoy them, also the bass on the Lascala’s  will kick *** over just about anything out there, down to about 45 hz , what’s not to like about that. Subwoofers are required for the lowest octave, always.🤓

• Like 1

Eminence Kappa 15C work well in LaScala; they won't give you DEEPER bass (no woofer can in a Lascala enclosure) but they will give you better DEFINITION of upper bass and low midrange. Maximum extension of the diaphragm is smaller, so if you are a headbanger and listen to bass heavy stuff, it might not be for you - or it might be perfect if you use a couple of subs and an ACTIVE CROSSOVER to remove the lowest frequencies from your LaScala.

Stock K33 woofers are a good compromise if you don't want to fiddle around and occasionally listen very loud without a high pass filter.

Generally speaking, the ONLY way to get more deep bass from LaScala is to add one or two good subwoofers.

3 hours ago, Rolox said:

Maximum extension of the diaphragm is smaller, so if you are a headbanger and listen to bass heavy stuff, it might not be for you

Doubtful the K33 ever achieves max extension with the slot in front of it making it a compression driver. From all that I have read PWK wanted the woofer to extend as little as possible via horn loading limiting distortion of said woofer. Forget the  exact amount of extension normally seen from slot and horn loading. From all accounts the Eminence Kappa C is a good replacement for K33. At least that has been what I have read from members that have done so over the years. 

Good decent subs are cheap these days so this subject of LaScala needing a sub for low extension is not an issue. Most audiophiles will have a sub anyways with any speaker they own. Most of the time I listen without my sub. The bass it makes is fantastic beating anything else I have heard. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know, I'm about to build La Scala clone and was wondering the same thing!

On 1/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, RandyH said:

20 Hz is sub territory  for sure----- not even a woofer in a bass reflex cab speaker can go that low  ---------and definitely not in a Scala , it's the anti-bass speaker  , build a Cornwall , you might be more pleased ,

there is the K43  which is used in the LS Industrial , it has more mid bass , and  more power handling