JEM Performance capacitor rebuild kit - Heresy Type E network

wuzzzer

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Have you ever done voltage transfer curves? And then ran a free response on the speaker to make sure that speaker still performed as intended?  The total network has to perform a certain way. Arbitrarily changing components without checking to see what it does to the overall response is not a good idea. Whether or not you have respect is not my deal. This is what is approved. You can either get them or not. 

I know you don't need my respect. Since I've already considered buying from him, my question was an honest question,.  Sorry for the bother, have a great day.  

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That can have a huge effect on sound and be the first thing you check when troubleshooting a sound issue.  I've fixed a bunch of dead drivers and intermittent sound issues by doing that.

Probably comes from all the bad connections your co. has fixed on automobiles. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I know you don't need my respect. Since I've already considered buying from him, my question was an honest question,.  Sorry for the bother, have a great day.  

Makes me wonder what percentages of difference in voltage would be "allowed".  Kind of like how tolerance levels used to be acceptable on the old capacitors.  Didn't those have a pretty broad swing to them?  Who knows....  Apparently not us.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:06 AM, wuzzzer said:

Right now I'm listening to The Eagles Farewell Tour on Blu-ray.  The center Heresy sounds really, really good.  I don't know if capacitor break-in is a thing or not but I'll play music through my center for a few days and see if I can tell a difference.  All I know is compared to the 40 year old PIO caps, these sound great.  Before I was getting a little crackling sound with certain voices but now everything is crystal clear without being too bright. 

In addition to replacing the capacitors, I added Parts Express foam speaker gasket at the edges of the midrange and tweeter horns to help seal the cabinet better.

Also, as I was working on the network,  I noticed a fair amount of corrosion around the screws on the opposite side of where you plug the drivers in to.  At the very least, if you don't feel you need to replace anything in your network, unscrew and tighten all the screws a few times to help everything have a better contact.

Back to listening!

"In addition to replacing the capacitors, I added Parts Express foam speaker gasket at the edges of the midrange and tweeter horns to help seal the cabinet better.

Also, as I was working on the network,  I noticed a fair amount of corrosion around the screws on the opposite side of where you plug the drivers in to.  At the very least, if you don't feel you need to replace anything in your network, unscrew and tighten all the screws a few times to help everything have a better contact."

Hardly a true comparison when you have altered other parameters as well as the new caps. 

Not saying these caps aren't worth the effort, but you need to change only one component to evaluate the effectiveness of that component, otherwise there's too many variables. 

10 minutes ago, sootshe said:

"In addition to replacing the capacitors, I added Parts Express foam speaker gasket at the edges of the midrange and tweeter horns to help seal the cabinet better.

Also, as I was working on the network,  I noticed a fair amount of corrosion around the screws on the opposite side of where you plug the drivers in to.  At the very least, if you don't feel you need to replace anything in your network, unscrew and tighten all the screws a few times to help everything have a better contact."

Hardly a true comparison when you have altered other parameters as well as the new caps. 

Not saying these caps aren't worth the effort, but you need to change only one component to evaluate the effectiveness of that component, otherwise there's too many variables. 

Exactly.  A fair comparison would be one stock and one with cap swap ONLY.  Corrosion = resistance and is surely going to change what comes out of the crossover.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sootshe said:

Both speakers tested have the same everything, gasket material, drivers, etc.  The only difference between the two is one is in a factory black cabinet and one is in a factory raw birch cabinet. 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It wasn’t a bother. I was trying to answer as candidly as you were asking. It’s all good. Have a great day yourself. 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
50 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Makes me wonder what percentages of difference in voltage would be "allowed".  Kind of like how tolerance levels used to be acceptable on the old capacitors.  Didn't those have a pretty broad swing to them?  Who knows....  Apparently not us.

Specification and finding parts/drivers that will not vary outside a certain limit is the hardest part. You wouldn’t believe how hard that is..........consistency 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Both speakers tested have the same everything, gasket material, drivers, etc.  The only difference between the two is one is in a factory black cabinet and one is in a factory raw birch cabinet. 

Now Wuzzer you didn’t mention this before. It’s not the caps,  black cabinets and birch cabinets always sound different..

Geez, I thought we were about to have a breakthrough!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Specification and finding parts/drivers that will not vary outside a certain limit is the hardest part. You wouldn’t believe how hard that is..........consistency 

I agree.  It's hard to find consistencies in most any area of manufacturing anymore no matter what the product.  Clothes, food, electronics, etc.  And on your end, you're wanting consistent "in spec" products to come in so you can send  the same "in spec" products back out.

• Klipsch Employees
3 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I agree.  It's hard to find consistencies in most any area of manufacturing anymore no matter what the product.  Clothes, food, electronics, etc.  And on your end, you're wanting consistent "in spec" products to come in so you can send  the same "in spec" products back out.

Exactly

• Like 1