JEM Performance capacitor rebuild kit - Heresy Type E network

wuzzzer

• Moderators
4 hours ago, wetowne said:

Those caps are stamped TI. Is that Texas Instruments? Can the Chief confirm?

Tiajuana Imports. They source them from Taiwan Industries so they don't have to restamp them. Taiwan Industries get them from a guy who makes each one by hand, his name is Tom, can't remember his last name, starts with an I. 

Or, that's what I heard.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Both speakers tested have the same everything, gasket material, drivers, etc.  The only difference between the two is one is in a factory black cabinet and one is in a factory raw birch cabinet. 

One of your previous posts claims you added gasket material to the mid & tweeter drivers to prevent any cabinet air leakage. If that was occurring then this is going to seriously alter the sound a lot more than a capacitor issue. 

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Both speakers tested have the same everything, gasket material, drivers, etc.  The only difference between the two is one is in a factory black cabinet and one is in a factory raw birch cabinet. 

Are you saying one speaker is built from "Birch ply" & the other from some other material - or that they are both birch & one of them is painted black???

9 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

Is it just me or is the resistance to these caps palpable? And I don't mean electrical resistance 😛

No resistance here......whatever floats your boat.

& I won't get into the caps debate either.....just that my experience & ears tell me that a better quality cap 100% of the time sounds better.

You can tailor the sound of your speaker, in other words, change the voicing, with different types of caps.

I suppose my issue is that how can you legitimately install $10 caps into a potentially $30K speaker & not hear the difference between that & a better quality cap.

My thoughts are exactly the same for the drivers & horns used in these speakers, particularly the LS & K Horn. 

Everyone is hiding behind the elephant in the room in that PWK says & I quote from a Klipsch brochure from times gone by......" If driver units (& horns) were available which are superior to the ones we use, we would readily substitute them"....the irony is that they are still using them nearly 40 years later.

Don't get me wrong, if you love the sound of your stock heritage speaker....well done. If you want your speaker to remain just like the original ....great!

To me, it appears that Klipsch don't want to change the voicing of the heritage series at all from what it sounded like 40 years ago. That's their decision. But for those who want to realise the full potential of what PWK designed there are sooo many things to choose from.

For me, the Klipsch sound, the Klipsch heritage & the heart of PWK is in the design of the bass bins. No-one has ever been able to compete with that. When you combine that with better quality mid & tweeter sections & an appropriate crossover, then they truly are world class sounding.

I've always thought that Klipsch should offer two ranges of heritage series. A standard series and an updated heritage line, using modern drivers, updated crossovers, etc. These would be giant killers & would compete with any top end speaker brand out there. When I think about it, they probably wouldn't sell many of the standard series compared to the updated series. 

Hope this isn't too far off topic & trying not to offend anyone.  

document.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sootshe said:

One of your previous posts claims you added gasket material to the mid & tweeter drivers to prevent any cabinet air leakage. If that was occurring then this is going to seriously alter the sound a lot more than a capacitor issue. 

I added that material to all three of my LCR Heresys.  When I did the A/B test both Heresys had the gasket material. 

9 hours ago, sootshe said:

Are you saying one speaker is built from "Birch ply" & the other from some other material - or that they are both birch & one of them is painted black???

The new to me 1980 Heresys with Sonicaps are raw birch that were stained. 

The center I'm using has components from 1981 Heresys in a 1985 FB cabinet since the original cabinets were in poor condition. 

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The new to me 1980 Heresys with Sonicaps are raw birch that were stained. 

The center I'm using has components from 1981 Heresys in a 1985 FB cabinet since the original cabinets were in poor condition. 

So is the FB cabinet made from birch or MDF?

31 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

No idea.  MDF if I had to guess. 

And no, I'm not going to swap all of those internals into another cabinet and try again. 

Just saying....if one's MDF & the others birch, they will definitely sound different. 

Enjoy the update.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, RandyH000 said:

Well  I meant Klipsch OEM capacitors   the same caps , you  will find in all  klipsch Factory  crossovers -

I meant that Texas Instruments does not make any discrete components only integrated circuits, therefore the JEM caps could not be Texas Instuments.  I was pretty much answering my own question since no one else was. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:32 PM, wetowne said:

Those caps are stamped TI. Is that Texas Instruments? Can the Chief confirm?

My guess is Tecate Industries Metallized Polyester Axial Capacitors. Like the woofers Klipsch gets from Eminence, these will not be available to the public since they are proprietary parts made just for Klipsch and to Klipsch specs. 

• Like 2