How old is this K'horn?

Ianr

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on when my Klipschorns were built.

I have read through the Heritage Speaker Codes but am none the wiser.

My father bought these used, here in Australia in 1979/80 and the drivers are all originals from at least then.

I'm pretty sure they are a "Decorator" model.

The top hat stamping on the base is USA SL 216. I must say, the S sure looks like a 5.

The K-77 tweeter serial number is 18550 and is a Klipsch driver.

The K-400 squawker serial number is 20042. Also a Klipsch driver.

I am yet to look for numbers on the bass cabinet or speaker. The only reason I have looked at the top hat is because I was swapping out a blown tweeter.

Thanks for any assistance. It would just be nice to know.

Ian

IMG20210109094825.jpg1.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ianr said:

Thanks wuzzzer!

I'll write that down inside the top hat so the next owner won't have to wonder.

Wait a second, where's the fun in that? lol

Ian

do you have any klipsch  tags on the speaker's bass bin  --------or anywhere else on the speaker ?  ------if you do ----send us at least 1 picture if both serial numbers are sequential  , plus you can compare the tag on the speaker and the top hat to see if they match up

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

do you have any klipsch  tags on the speaker's bass bin  --------or anywhere else on the speaker ?  ------if you do ----send us at least 1 picture if both serial numbers are sequential  , plus you can compare the tag on the speaker and the top hat to see if they match up

No mate, I haven't seen any but I'll probably pull them out and go over them in the next few days/weeks.

One thing I have been pondering - the bass bin hatches are both on the left as you look at the speakers and this is where the bass speaker terminals are. The crossovers are in the top hat, above these hatches and the cable holes in the top hat base are on the left for both speakers too.

So, the left speaker cables run around the rear of the speaker making it about 20 inches longer than the right. I made them the same length so the right speaker cable is 20 inches longer than it needs to be.

According to the Heritage Owners Manual, they are built so that the amp connections are closest to the amp.

So, I have 2 right hand speakers as does Wirrunna who is also in Australia. It looks like the distributor in the day wasn't aware of this so there are at least 2 guys out there with 2 left hand speakers.

If this is true, I hold little hope of the top numbers matching the bass bin numbers given that they are shipped in separate boxes. If they are shipped as pairs there's even more room for error.

All will be revealed. Eventually.

Ian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ianr said:

All will be revealed. Eventually.

Ian

no big deal , right or left ,  left or right ,  consecutive serial numbers or non-consecutive ,  khorns can sound even  better with enclosed backs , meaning the openings are sealed and you cant see the hatches ---better bass , way better looking speakers  , plus they can be used further away from the corners of the walls , to the same effect  as Jubilees -  -

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

no big deal , right or left ,  left or right ,  consecutive serial numbers or non-consecutive ,  khorns can sound even  better with enclosed backs , meaning the openings are sealed and you cant see the hatches ---better bass , way better looking speakers  , plus they can be used further away from the corners of the walls , to the same effect  as Jubilees -  -

yeah, I'm not too worried, more amused that the dealers didn't really know what they were doing, if in fact there is a right and left. Of course, that would also mean that the buyers didn't know what they were supposed to get either and never read the Manual.

I have never seen a pair exactly like mine and I guess being a decorator model means any mods will be unique.

The top hat sides go all the way back to the wall and the bass bins have no sides to hide any thing. The top hat lid is chip board too whilst the base is plywood and there is only one vertical brace, right in the centre at the rear. I'm guessing that the top hat lid might be a DIY addition too as I see pix of some K'horns with no lids.

By enclosed backs do you mean a false corner? As mine back onto a brick wall I've toyed with the idea of fitting these. I'm assuming the previous owner fitted the longer top hat sides thinking that he would hear an improvement.

Ian

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ianr said:

yeah, I'm not too worried, more amused that the dealers didn't really know what they were doing, if in fact there is a right and left. Of course, that would also mean that the buyers didn't know what they were supposed to get either and never read the Manual.

I have never seen a pair exactly like mine and I guess being a decorator model means any mods will be unique.

The top hat sides go all the way back to the wall and the bass bins have no sides to hide any thing. The top hat lid is chip board too whilst the base is plywood and there is only one vertical brace, right in the centre at the rear. I'm guessing that the top hat lid might be a DIY addition too as I see pix of some K'horns with no lids.

By enclosed backs do you mean a false corner? As mine back onto a brick wall I've toyed with the idea of fitting these. I'm assuming the previous owner fitted the longer top hat sides thinking that he would hear an improvement.

Ian

HERE IS A KHORN WITH ENCLOSED BACKS

47vk540.720.jpg