New to La Scala Wow what a sound stage

JMeader

18 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What about placement, does that disqualify them from being Klipsch? I know some use 3 LS for a LCR, is the center not a LaScala at that point. What about the music played, will some music played through them make them non-Klipsch? Are we not permitted to us a sub with the Heritage due to it adding sound that they don't produce themselves?  

Such a slippery surface that, IMHO, should not have been made worse by sloping it.  

Certainly, this isn't intended...  :D

50822578742_5a3868e258_h.jpg

• Klipsch Employees
31 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I met PWK in 1976.  He explained that Heritage horns were mounted to the rear of baffle boards because doing otherwise did “not make a dime’s worth of difference.”  That was an engineering decision that paid homage to an economic consideration.  Good engineers do that constantly.  He did not say flush front mounting is not better, but said it wasn’t worth the additional expense.  I agree with that assessment.  

Now Klipsch uses front flush mounting of horns.  Klipsch also adopted Monster Cable, rather than the 18 gauge zip cord favored by PWK.  Apparently, the owners of Klipsch Heritage are prohibited from adopting “improvements” unless done exactly as done by Klipsch, otherwise they must strip the Klipsch logos from their speakers.

Amazing......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

As to the automotive metaphors, I feel that dropping a Chevy V8 into a Jaguar E-Type, although considered sacrilege by Jaguar purists, IMO, does not prevent the E-Type from still being a Jaguar, albeit a Chevy V8 powered Jaguar.

Right after graduating HS, I worked at a Jaguar, Saab, Lotus, Ferrari dealership. We would never accept in or work on the E-Type and S-Type that had V-8 engine conversions.  

The dealership installed several BBS wheels on Saabs and Jaguars, and they were still sold for what they were: Saabs and Jaguars.... 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
24 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What about placement, does that disqualify them from being Klipsch? I know some use 3 LS for a LCR, is the center not a LaScala at that point. What about the music played, will some music played through them make them non-Klipsch? Are we not permitted to us a sub with the Heritage due to it adding sound that they don't produce themselves?  

Such a slippery surface that, IMHO, should not have been made worse by sloping it.  

Amazing....and exhausting.......

I read with a ton of respect the comments from Chief BH and ChrisA. Cannot disagree with either. Chief has experience, knowledge, and a vested interest in Klipsch Heritage speakers. ChrisA just slays you with hard data.

From others feedback the latest version of every model is an improvement over the previous product. Result of design, testing, and listenIng by the engineering staff in Hope. If CBH listened to us the AK6 and AL5 would have a 402 horn mounted on top. Or at least A55 mids and B&C DE-120 tweeters. 

But he does not. We get the same Atlas and what some call a Celestion driver. Maybe a new high frequency horn. And a tweaked crossover to make it all come together. 

Suspect the new high frequency components are not drop in replacements like a CT-120 and other options. But offer something the easy options cannot.

When reading the released changes incorporated into the LS5 the one that seemed to me to be of the least value was the upgraded internal wiring. The wires in my LS II looked like the original Monster cable. Heavy zip cord with translucent plastic, shiny stranded copper wiring wire of 13 - 14 ga, and crimp on spade lugs. Saw an shot of the inside of a CW IV. Do not know if it measures better, is an audible improvement, or if Audioquest just likes Klipsch and gives it away. But the wiring loom in that CW IV looks like what you might see in 50,000.00 - 200,000.USD speakers. Top notch looking.

Maybe if Roy cannot convince Klipsch that an “upgrade” kit to bring an original LS to AL5 status is viable like the kits to bring early Heresy up to HIII status, maybe he can convince them to sell us the wiring loom.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
4 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

I read with a ton of respect the comments from Chief BH and ChrisA. Cannot disagree with either. Chief has experience, knowledge, and a vested interest in Klipsch Heritage speakers. ChrisA just slays you with hard data.

From others feedback the latest version of every model is an improvement over the previous product. Result of design, testing, and listenIng by the engineering staff in Hope. If CBH listened to us the AK6 and AL5 would have a 402 horn mounted on top. Or at least A55 mids and B&C DE-120 tweeters. 

But he does not. We get the same Atlas and what some call a Celestion driver. Maybe a new high frequency horn. And a tweaked crossover to make it all come together. 

Suspect the new high frequency components are not drop in replacements like a CT-120 and other options. But offer something the easy options cannot.

When reading the released changes incorporated into the LS5 the one that seemed to me to be of the least value was the upgraded internal wiring. The wires in my LS II looked like the original Monster cable. Heavy zip cord with translucent plastic, shiny stranded copper wiring wire of 13 - 14 ga, and crimp on spade lugs. Saw an shot of the inside of a CW IV. Do not know if it measures better, is an audible improvement, or if Audioquest just likes Klipsch and gives it away. But the wiring loom in that CW IV looks like what you might see in 50,000.00 - 200,000.USD speakers. Top notch looking.

Maybe if Roy cannot convince Klipsch that an “upgrade” kit to bring an original LS to AL5 status is viable like the kits to bring early Heresy up to HIII status, maybe he can convince them to sell us the wiring loom.

I have thought of how we could offer upgrade kits in spirit of how Mr K did. And I am still trying to figure out ways to make them simple and doable.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

All I will say is do not try to sell me a Klipsch loudspeaker with component changes without disclosing the component changes up front. I would want a Klipsch loudspeaker, as designed by PWK or CBH. If your changes are not faithful to the designer’s original intent, I would not be interested. Because it’s no longer a Klipsch loudspeaker. It’s your loudspeaker. DIY as far as I am concerned. Others may have a different opinion, but a Klipsch cabinet full of someone else’s components isn’t a Klipsch loudspeaker in my book. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

All I will say is do not try to sell me a Klipsch loudspeaker with component changes without disclosing the component changes up front. I would want a Klipsch loudspeaker, as designed by PWK or CBH. If your changes are not faithful to the designer’s original intent, I would not be interested. Because it’s no longer a Klipsch loudspeaker. It’s your loudspeaker. DIY as far as I am concerned. Others may have a different opinion, but a Klipsch cabinet full of someone else’s components isn’t a Klipsch loudspeaker in my book. 

I don't think that will be a problem since the ones that are 'upgraded' command more money, from what I've seen. :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I don't think that will be a problem since the ones that are 'upgraded' command more money, from what I've seen. :)

I don’t understand your comment. What did I say that makes you think that money would be a factor? 

1 minute ago, Kevin S said:

I don’t understand your comment. What did I say that makes you think that money would be a factor? 

Knowing they command more money, people will list the mods you want listed in a sale so you don't buy something you don't want.  I see "Crites upgrades" on sale ads all the time, which people use to draw in potential buyers. 

Money was not in reference to you as a buyer, but to the seller trying to make more money on the sale ;). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Knowing they command more money, people will list the mods you want listed in a sale so you don't buy something you don't want.  I see "Crites upgrades" on sale ads all the time, which people use to draw in potential buyers. 

Money was not in reference to you as a buyer, but to the seller trying to make more money on the sale ;). 

I see. Well, I would be one of those people who would pay more for an original, and wouldn’t consider the purchase of a modified speaker, much less pay more. 

27 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

If your changes are not faithful to the designer’s original intent, I would not be interested. Because it’s no longer a Klipsch loudspeaker.

Apparently then you will not be purchasing anything other than an old speaker with new capacitors.  Whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Apparently then you will not be purchasing anything other than an old speaker with new capacitors.  Whatever floats your boat.

Well, it is my boat. And how you choose to float yours is your business, not mine, as well. 

• Like 1

1.  Does Klipsch sell new or refurbished tweeters for any speakers in the Heritage line?

2.  Does Klipsch sell repair parts for any tweeters in the Heritage line?

3.  Does Klipsch sell new or refurbished midrange drivers for any speakers in the Heritage line?

4.  Does Klipsch sell repair parts for any midrange drivers in the Heritage line?

5.  Does Klipsch sell new or refurbished woofers for any speakers in the Heritage line?

6.  Does Klipsch sell repair parts for any woofers in the Heritage line?

7.  Does Klipsch sell any driver to horn gaskets for speakers in the Heritage line?

8.  Does Klipsch sell any parts other than capacitors to be able to repair a crossover?

9.  Does Klipsch sell risers or other speaker cabinet parts that are faithful to the original model?